Am I crazy?
    As a loon.
  4. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    29 Jan '07 10:132 edits
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    I just read an annotated grubenstein game, and Grandmaster Keene says, "G4 is the worst possible move you can start out with, even worse than f3 and h4"

I was wondering if the rest of you concur about that sentiment or have other ideas.

Here's the link to the game, he beat the author of, "The Killer Grob":

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1026281
    Whats this I see an Open Invite "Dragon Fire is yellow"

I'll show you I ain't yellow - have a Grob (Game 3091829) and we will see if this is the worst opening ever!

and here is an indication of the Grobs strength (Game 3092030) and another (Game 3092029)
  5. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    29 Jan '07 17:16
    I’ve played it occasionally with pretty good results. I’m not counting the time I played it in CC and then found out my opponent was an OTB master and champion of one of the Canadian provinces.
  6. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    29 Jan '07 19:20
    I just read an annotated grubenstein game, and Grandmaster Keene says, "G4 is the worst possible move you can start out with, even worse than f3 and h4"

I was wondering if the rest of you concur about that sentiment or have other ideas.

Here's the link to the game, he beat the author of, "The Killer Grob":

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1026281
    The only time I ever took clear first in a blitz tournament at the Chess Palace in Los Alamitos, CA (now relocated to Westminster, CA) I played 1 g4 every game as White and 1...g5 every game as Black. I was seeded third out of six players. I never repeated the "experiment."
  7. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    30 Jan '07 11:38
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Whats this I see an Open Invite "Dragon Fire is yellow"

I'll show you I ain't yellow - have a Grob (Game 3091829) and we will see if this is the worst opening ever!

and here is an indication of the Grobs strength (Game 3092030) and another (Game 3092029)
    More evidence that the Grob is playable.

Game 3092026
  8. back in business
    Moves
    30 Jan '07 11:50
    Grob is very good against weak yet very fast players in 1min bullet. It forces them to play more originally (=blunder more). Against strong but slow players it does not work that well.
  9. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    30 Jan '07 11:581 edit
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    Grob is very good against weak yet very fast players in 1min bullet. It forces them to play more originally (=blunder more). Against strong but slow players it does not work that well.
    I do tend to agree. The Grob can be a very sucessful surprise OTB weapon but it is inherently weak so against strong slow players at correspondence it should fail, but against weaker players, especially those that move fast, it can cause serious problems very early as you get out of books and databses very quickly.

At the moment I confess to being reluctant to play anyone rated above, say 1800, with this opening whereas players rated below 1600 I feel I can give away weaknesses and even a pawn or 2 and perhaps claw it back in the middle / end game (if I bother to take my time). Against such players it gives exciting unbalanced games in which I can easily make an error.

... but, here is more evidence of its strength Game 3092031
  10. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    30 Jan '07 19:241 edit
    and yet more Game 3093854

for a score to date

P16

W 15
    D 1
    L 0

Possibly the best opening ever.
  11. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    30 Jan '07 19:52
    Well I don't think DragonFire would play this against anyone stronger then him... but who knows. I am currently playing against him using the grob and I expect to be smashed in the middle-game, I can already see his attack coming... but thats not because the grob is all powerful, it is because I have allowed his attack to build... maybe if I would have played it differently it would be another story. Lets see how it goes, I can be quite dubious at times. 😉

Game 3078054
  12. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    30 Jan '07 20:171 edit
    Originally posted by ChessJester
    Well I don't think DragonFire would play this against anyone stronger then him... but who knows. I am currently playing against him using the grob and I expect to be smashed in the middle-game, I can already see his attack coming... but thats not because the grob is all powerful, it is because I have allowed his attack to build... maybe if I would have p ...[text shortened]... another story. Lets see how it goes, I can be quite dubious at times. 😉

Game 3078054
    A typical Grob set up on move 7. Just waiting to get my Knight to c3.

I am better than in some of the other games I took on where I am coming unstuck against 1. ... e5! which seems to cause me all sorts of problems on the black squares although I think I have found the answer.
  13. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jan '07 20:26
    I can see it now......"Starting Out: The Grob!"
  14. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 04:101 edit
    Guys I just started a game with Dragon Fire, which Im pretty sure I'll win, as I am a renouned Grob Killer, and undefeated against the Grob, including some impressive victories, after I beat Dragon Fire, I really hope all the hype surrounding this controversal opening will finally be put to rest.
  15. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 08:11
    Guys I just started a game with Dragon Fire, which Im pretty sure I'll win, as I am a renouned Grob Killer, and undefeated against the Grob, including some impressive victories, after I beat Dragon Fire, I really hope all the hype surrounding this controversal opening will finally be put to rest.
    Watch Game 3091829 for the demise of the renounced Grob Killer by the current undefeated champion of the Grob.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree