Lack of Good Manners on RHP

Lack of Good Manners on RHP

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
12 Sep 12

The post that was quoted here has been removed
I haven't played in a FIDE tournament yet, but if the rules are such, I will abide by them. Where I have discretion, I will excercise it, but if I don't, I just go by the rules.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
12 Sep 12

Originally posted by SwissGambit
How did you know it wasn't their fault?
I don't always know, so sometimes it is on faith if I know the player already. I am also inconsistent, in that I only tend to do it when the time control is longer.

I also am inconsistent in that I hold jerks or obviously careless people to a more rigid standard than I do nice people. I almost always do it for kids and older players, but for the college kid who brought his breakfast with him to the board and has his iPod in while the game is going on, not so much. They made their own choices.

Usually at the start of the game, I will just leave the clock untouched for about 5 minutes (or until the TD tells me to start it), and then start it if my opponent shows up.

On the one hand, I don't quibble about a minute or two at the start, but I also don't want to wait around too long for someone who isn't going to show up.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 Sep 12

Originally posted by Paul Leggett
I haven't played in a FIDE tournament yet, but if the rules are such, I will abide by them. Where I have discretion, I will excercise it, but if I don't, I just go by the rules.
Bobby Fischer had trouble getting along with them FIDE people. 😏

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
12 Sep 12

Time is part of the game.

Oh, and you're a sucker. 😛
If one uses time to plan their moves, then yes it is part of the game and if a player runs out of time because of that then it's legitimate to claim the win. But simply forgetting to hit the clock hasn't anything to do with chess.

Play the way you want, but I'm not going to sit at a board faking like I'm studying to make a move to bluff my opponent, who has outplayed me, in order that he doesn't remember to hit his clock. It's poor sportsmanship IMO even if legal under the rules.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
12 Sep 12

Originally posted by greenpawn34
I do too. It actually puts me off if I notice their clock has not been pressed.
But that's me. I know plenty of other players who say nothing.

There is nothing in the rules that says you mus tell your opponent
he has not punched his clock. (here we go again) 🙂
I'm aware it isn't required under the rules and I have no obligation to do anything.

MS

Under Cover

Moves
12 Sep 12

It is unrealistic to expect everyone else to mirror your own personal code of conduct/sportsmanship. If an opponent's behavior is legal (as defined by the governing rules) and you just don't like it, then you should probably try to avoid playing them in the future. Time controls are part of the game, and they can't be enforced fairly without being enforced uniformly.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
12 Sep 12

Originally posted by no1marauder
If one uses time to plan their moves, then yes it is part of the game and if a player runs out of time because of that then it's legitimate to claim the win. But simply forgetting to hit the clock hasn't anything to do with chess.

Play the way you want, but I'm not going to sit at a board faking like I'm studying to make a move to bluff my ...[text shortened]... sn't remember to hit his clock. It's poor sportsmanship IMO even if legal under the rules.
Forgetting to hit the clock is a mismanagement of one of your chess resources. It's no different than forgetting your opponent was threatening something. As a competitive player, I like to take advantage of my opponent's lapses in concentration, not correct them for him. In my view, telling someone to punch their own clock is equal to telling them not to move that piece because they'll get mated.

I'll look to the rules to determine the legitimacy of my decisions, and not the subjective whims of the 'classy'.

It is not poor sportsmanship to bluff your opponent. That's ridiculous. Do you not set traps for your opponent? Or is that not a 'sportsmanlike' way to play?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
12 Sep 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
Bobby Fischer had trouble getting along with them FIDE people. 😏
Bobby Fischer had trouble getting along with everybody. 😛

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
12 Sep 12
1 edit

Originally posted by Paul Leggett
I don't always know, so sometimes it is on faith if I know the player already. I am also inconsistent, in that I only tend to do it when the time control is longer.

I also am inconsistent in that I hold jerks or obviously careless people to a more rigid standard than I do nice people. I almost always do it for kids and older players, but for the co start, but I also don't want to wait around too long for someone who isn't going to show up.
I'm not a big fan of people eating at the board, but it's tolerable if they're not too loud or messy. Some of the slow TC tourneys eat up so much of the day that there may be little choice but to eat at the board on occasion.

I've nothing against college kids, and I think that some kids are utter jerks, as bad as the adult jerks. I have nothing against iPods (other than them being an Apple product, ugh) as long as it's not so loud that I can hear it, and they're not singing/humming along to the music.

I realized quickly after I started playing tournament chess that if I ever showed up late to a game, I'd be playing that game without that time on the clock, no matter how well my opponent knew me or respected me. If that doesn't motivate people to exercise more control of their circumstances, nothing will.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 Sep 12

Originally posted by no1marauder

Play the way you want, but I'm not going to sit at a board faking like I'm studying to make a move to bluff my ...[text shortened]... sn't remember to hit his clock. It's poor sportsmanship IMO even if legal under the rules.
That happened to me in my first tournament. I forgot to hit the clock and my opponent studied for a long time. I got up went to the men's room and he was still thinking about his move when I came back. I finally looked over at the clock to see how much time he had used and noticed my clock was the one running. I then hit the clock and he moved in a flash.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 Sep 12

I don't recall any claims of Bobby Fischer not getting along with USCF officials and Frank Brady claims to have been his friend.

http://soundcloud.com/crown-publishing-group/sets/endgame-by-frank-brady-audio-clips/

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 Sep 12

I don't recall any claims of Bobby Fischer not getting along with USCF officials and Frank Brady claims to have been his friend.

http://soundcloud.com/crown-publishing-group/sets/endgame-by-frank-brady-audio-clips/

e4

Moves
12 Sep 12

HI No1.

"It's poor sportsmanship IMO even if legal under the rules."

I'd say it's a cross between sortsmanship/gamesmanship.

You are using his error against him, just like you would a bad move.

I always do but if my opponent keeps forgetting as happened once then
I 'forgot' to remind him and then tried to forget about it.

It would come down to who you were playing (they might be a good mate.)
The tournament/match situation.

I know very well a victim of the SG trick, it's not all that uncommon a ploy.
He was miffed but it was a lesson learned.
It never, as far as I know happened to him again.

Talking of sportmanship....How about this.

In the 1942 USA ch we happen upon Arnold Denker playing Samuel Resevsky.

The clock had no flag but Denker claimed Resevsky had lost on time.
The TD was called over.
The back of the clock was facing him so he spun it around to look at the clock.

So with Denker on left and Reseveky on his right he looked at the left hand clock
(which was infact Reshesky's) and proudly stated Denker had lost on time.
Despite DEnker's protests and jeers from the onlookers the result stood!
(you would have thought Sammy may have said something) 🙂

Moves
12 Sep 12

The post that was quoted here has been removed
I hope that's a joke. If not, then (given at least one of your previous posts in this very thread) it's hypocrisy of the grossest cut.

Richard

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
12 Sep 12

I'm not a big fan of people eating at the board, but it's tolerable if they're not too loud or messy. Some of the slow TC tourneys eat up so much of the day that there may be little choice but to eat at the board on occasion.

I've nothing against college kids, and I think that some kids are utter jerks, as bad as the adult jerks. I have nothing agains ...[text shortened]... t doesn't motivate people to exercise more control of their circumstances, nothing will.
Makes sense to me. None of this is an absolute in my mind, in that I only see the rules as fixed, and everything else is rather case-by-case for me.