Lack of Good Manners on RHP

Lack of Good Manners on RHP

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
11 Sep 12

GP seldom says hi to me. :'(

m

Moves
11 Sep 12

Originally posted by ChessPraxis
GP seldom says hi to me. :'(
thats Mr. Pawn34 to you!!

A stable personality

Near my hay.

Moves
11 Sep 12

The post that was quoted here has been removed
😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴

j

Moves
11 Sep 12

Hello all, I'm new to this site.

I had no idea there was such etiquette or manners in chess where someone who is clearly losing should consider giving up. I would hope to think I'm gracious in defeat and feel lucky if I win, due to an error by my opponent. In most instances though I think I would play to the bitter end in the hope of getting an [extremely] unlikely win or stalemate.

However, perhaps I need to change my view on this?

e4

Moves
11 Sep 12
1 edit

Hi Jkshl (hi ChessPraxis)

In our games we argue chess. The perennial argument being material v tempo.

In the forum we argue about everything.

You come along with statements like: "perhaps I need to change my view on this?"

This implies you may indeed change your mind and agree with someone.
This kind of attitude is no good at all.

You must be stubborn and stick to you principles, even if you know you are
100% wrong. (never admit you are wrong...never).
And don't worry about how petty the subject is. The important thing is
you must disagree.

If you want to see this in action then skip down to the Religious Forum.
99% of them believe in God. They argue about the best way to worship him.

Welcome to RHP.
May all your sacs be sound and all you offers of a draw refused.

j

Moves
11 Sep 12

Originally posted by greenpawn34
Hi Jkshl (hi ChessPraxis)

In our games we argue chess. The perennial argument being material v tempo.

In the forum we argue about everything.

You come along with statements like: "perhaps I need to change my view on this?"

This implies you may indeed change your mind and agree with someone.
This kind of attitude is no good at all.

You mu ...[text shortened]... hip him.

Welcome to RHP.
May all your sacs be sound and all you offers of a draw refused.
Ah, well in that case may I say I whole heartedly disagree with you and will continue my chess fight to the bitter end 🙂.

e4

Moves
11 Sep 12
2 edits

You can't disagree with me, you have only just joined!
I have a higher grade than you. I'm right. I'm always right.
(you will be surprised how many times the grading card has been played on here.)

We cannot argue about having an argument. Pick a subject any subject.
(rule 1. it must be chess related.) and someone will take the opposite view.

Watch this.

Fischer's 1972 haricut was better than Botvinnik's 1957 crew cut.

A

Maplewood, New Jerse

Moves
11 Sep 12

Originally posted by greenpawn34
Hi Aldan.

Well this thread has been all good clean fun. Thanks for that.

Now we are onto Skulls.

I try my best to play on here as I would OTB.
It's good OTB training, wish the net was on the go 40 years ago.

I would not say to my opponent after his flag has dropped in an OTB game.

"You flag has fallen, if you move within the next few minu ...[text shortened]... I started thinking as to reasons why the lad has not moved then
I'd never take a skull.
Dear GP, I'm glad you enjoy this thread. I do, too.

Whether one should resign in a clearly lost position depends upon the situation. In my original statement I was thinking only of when one is playing here as a "lone wolf" solely for personal enjoyment and not either in a tournament where a possible premature resignation could effect the standings of competitors or as part of a team where duty is owed to the team and one should defer to the advise of the team captain. Also, my original statement certainly does not apply to Blitz Chess or Timed OTB Competition where time is critical and a player can win on time even though utterly busted on the board.

Nevertheless, I am disturbed by the number of those who believe that the only standard of behavior is that bare minimum required by the the Rules.

m

In attack

Moves
11 Sep 12

Originally posted by Aldan
Dear GP, I'm glad you enjoy this thread. I do, too.

Whether one should resign in a clearly lost position depends upon the situation. In my original statement I was thinking only of when one is playing here as a "lone wolf" solely for personal enjoyment and not either in a tournament where a possible premature resignation could effect the standings of ...[text shortened]... ho believe that the only standard of behavior is that bare minimum required by the the Rules.
I for one was playing devil's advocate when suggesting the bare minimum was ok behaviour. Good manners are always welcome and are free. My original point was that regardless of how we may feel about an opponent playing on (or not), there is little we can do except avoid playing them in the future. As a Buddhist would say, have serenity to accept the things you cannot change, the courage to change the things you can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
11 Sep 12

Originally posted by morgski
I for one was playing devil's advocate when suggesting the bare minimum was ok behaviour. Good manners are always welcome and are free. My original point was that regardless of how we may feel about an opponent playing on (or not), there is little we can do except avoid playing them in the future. As a Buddhist would say, have serenity to accept the things ...[text shortened]... cannot change, the courage to change the things you can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
I don't mind that my opponent keeps playing on until the bitter end as long as he doesn't resign the move before I checkmate him. Now that is what I call bad manners. If I can get enough checkmates, perhaps, I too can get one of them feature on the RHP Home page.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
11 Sep 12

Originally posted by morgski
I for one was playing devil's advocate when suggesting the bare minimum was ok behaviour. Good manners are always welcome and are free. My original point was that regardless of how we may feel about an opponent playing on (or not), there is little we can do except avoid playing them in the future. As a Buddhist would say, have serenity to accept the things ...[text shortened]... cannot change, the courage to change the things you can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
Once, I got a ridiculous swindle in an OTB rated game. The guy had completely outplayed me. The time control was G/90, but he was moving at a glacial pace and his clock was under 5 minutes, so I kept playing. Sure enough, he promoted a pawn on d1, grabbed the new Queen, and...forgot to punch the clock.

So I made a good show of staring very intently at the board even though there was nothing at all to find, while watching the clock out of the corner of my eye. My opponent just sat and waited for me to move, fidgeting a bit, not once glancing at the clock.

When I called his flag, he didn't grok that I was calling his flag. He actually thought I had let my time run out and then called my own flag. Several witnesses had to explain to him what had happened, until it slowly sank in. He looked a bit dizzy after that. 🙂

Did/do I feel guilty about winning in this fashion? Not at all! He's the one who forgot to hit his clock. That is a blunder every bit as bad as stepping into a mate-in-1.

And no, you can't always avoid playing scoundrels like me in a paired tournament. 😉

k
Mr Ring Rusty

Wales

Moves
11 Sep 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
I don't mind that my opponent keeps playing on until the bitter end as long as he doesn't resign the move before I checkmate him. Now that is what I call bad manners. If I can get enough checkmates, perhaps, I too can get one of them feature on the RHP Home page.
I think that it's better late than never..!

k
Mr Ring Rusty

Wales

Moves
11 Sep 12

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Once, I got a ridiculous swindle in an OTB rated game. The guy had completely outplayed me. The time control was G/90, but he was moving at a glacial pace and his clock was under 5 minutes, so I kept playing. Sure enough, he promoted a pawn on d1, grabbed the new Queen, and...forgot to punch the clock.

So I made a good show of staring very intently at ...[text shortened]... in-1.

And no, you can't always avoid playing scoundrels like me in a paired tournament. 😉
Something similar happened to me many years ago.

As a single parent with two young children I was often late for matches as I had to sort out baby sitting arrangements before the game. I turned up 30 mins late for one match but i soon had a very crushing position. Later the 30 mins caught up with me and I blundered which left my opponent with a clearly winning position but he was so happy that he forgot to press his clock.

I waited 20 mins until his flag fell and then I played my move and offered him a draw. He laughed out loud at the suggestion so I told him that I'd give him one final chance to accept the draw and I suggested he looked at his clock. We duly shook hands and the game was drawn.

I know I was well within my right to claim the win but I didn't think it was good manners to do so
..!

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
11 Sep 12

Originally posted by kingshill
Something similar happened to me many years ago.

As a single parent with two young children I was often late for matches as I had to sort out baby sitting arrangements before the game. I turned up 30 mins late for one match but i soon had a very crushing position. Later the 30 mins caught up with me and I blundered which left my opponent with a clea ...[text shortened]... was well within my right to claim the win but I didn't think it was good manners to do so
..!
You're far kinder than I would have been.

I would have called his flag after the refused draw offer just so I could see the look on his face when he realized what he'd done. Especially after laughing at the draw offer!

D

Moves
11 Sep 12
2 edits