1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 08:22
    I'm finding that I no longer have the motivation to study positions in any depth so I am increasing my game load. In my case the large number of games is the result of the lack of attention to each game and not the other way.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 08:23
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Can you tell me what the point of playing 50, 21/7 games is compared to 10, 3/7 games?

You have adequate time in both cases, play about the same number of games in a year, why not play less quicker games?
    A person with 50 21/7 games can leave his computer for three weeks without being timed out.
  3. Joined
    03 Mar '06
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 08:27
    Trust me, stick to safe side and lower your game if you want to improve your game. I spend around average 10 minute/move. Having many game want you to rush and YOU will make mistake i promise you. and dont play chess when you dont feel like. Sometime having game awaiting you make you feel that you want to play, but if you are not in mood dont. Help a lot.

lolle
  4. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 10:51
    I find that if you plan it properly you can have a large gameload without having to play too many moves a day.

If you use all the time available.😳

As some moves will be simple opening moves.
    Or forced moves.
    Or recaptures.

That don't actually require much thought. Which is good for me.πŸ˜•
  5. Along the River
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 12:27
    Originally posted by zeilgang
    I originally signed up at RHP because I was spending a large amount of time sitting around hotel rooms wasting away. Playing chess seem like a good alternative to watching TV ...
    I also started playing here when on an extended business trip. Sometimes I log on to playchess.com to play real time and fast. It's another good way to pass time. Be careful, you'll get addictedπŸ™‚
  6. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 14:10
    I actually prefer 3/na but the Tourny games are always 3/7 or greater. Not sure if I can answer your question.
    That 7 day timebank is a great thing. I have played lots of x/0 games, and lost them for various reasons. First off, not every day is a good day to play chess. Second, I spent one and a half days this weekend without power due to an ice storm. Losing on timeouts when there is no practical way for you to even set up your vacation flag is really crummy.

I personally go for quantity over quality simply because as a software tester I have lots of 5 minute blocks of time where I can make a couple of moves and it is rather annoying when there are no games waiting.
  7. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 19:23
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    A person with 50 21/7 games can leave his computer for three weeks without being timed out.
    Whose away from their computer for three weeks?

That's what the timebank is for.

How long do 21/7 games take? Say maybe 6 months?

In those six months you could have played maybe 3, 1/14 games which are finished.

I think the shorter timer is better. You can focus on a few games, have them finished quicker and start other ones.

If you can't make it, put up a vacation flag. Get timed out, your fault.
  8. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 19:48
    Whose away from their computer for three weeks?

That's what the timebank is for.

How long do 21/7 games take? Say maybe 6 months?

In those six months you could have played maybe 3, 1/14 games which are finished.

I think the shorter timer is better. You can focus on a few games, have them finished quicker and start other ones.

If you can't make it, put up a vacation flag. Get timed out, your fault.
    slow tactics, fast CC. you've got it all backwards. πŸ™‚

3/7 is annoyingly fast. even 7/14 often puts you into time pressure. that's not what CC is supposed to be about.
  9. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 19:57
    Having only been on RHP for about 6 months I am always surprised when I see people with huge numbers of games in progress.

However, I often find myself sitting around wishing someone would move so I could play.

Do those of you who have large numbers of games in progress find that you blunder or your playing quality suffers?

What is a good game load to stay busy and not suffer to much in your playing quality?

Thanks for advice.
    I think it all depends on the strength of your opponents and you.

For me, If I had 50 games going on with people under 1200, I would not be loaded.

If, on the other hand, I have 5 opponents rated over 1800 I would be loaded.

I can handle 5-10 opponents rated around 1400-1600 with 3/7 clock.

Basically, you have to decide how much time you want to spend on each opponent( and each position )

It just takes some experience and knowing yourself and your own limits.
  10. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 20:52
    Originally posted by wormwood
    slow tactics, fast CC. you've got it all backwards. πŸ™‚

3/7 is annoyingly fast. even 7/14 often puts you into time pressure. that's not what CC is supposed to be about.
    Fast CC of course! You don't want you games to last months. You want to play a decent game and then analysis it as soon as possible and start another one.

3/7 is fast? Hehe...

I always been playing 1/7 but sometimes I need the extra time so i've gone to 1/14 and it's perfect.

And you guys insult me for only playing 2-3 games at once πŸ˜›

10 games at 3/7 compared to 3 games at 1/7, pretty similar.
  11. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 21:02
    Fast CC of course! You don't want you games to last months. You want to play a decent game and then analysis it as soon as possible and start another one.
    Why do you assume that everybody wants the same experience out of this site, and CC in general, as you? Is yours the ONE TRUE WAY? Do you have to practice self-importance or does it come naturally?

7 day T/O and about 30 games is my ideal.

D
  12. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 21:12
    Fast CC of course! You don't want you games to last months.
    sure I do, that's why I'm here. I leave fast games to fics & icc (I just joined there btw, same handle)...
  13. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 21:571 edit
    Originally posted by wormwood
    sure I do, that's why I'm here. I leave fast games to fics & icc (I just joined there btw, same handle)...
    3-6 months is about right for CC server games.
  14. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 04:54
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Why do you assume that everybody wants the same experience out of this site, and CC in general, as you? Is yours the ONE TRUE WAY? Do you have to practice self-importance or does it come naturally?

7 day T/O and about 30 games is my ideal.

D
    Just discussing timers. I'm not saying my way is best.

I read other threads about 21/21 games and players resigning once the next round start? Why do you think that is?

What happens when you have a long timer, Got a nice combination or a great move and your opponent starts playing super slow? Will the win be just as sweet several months later or when you are in the moment?
  15. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 10:11
    Just discussing timers. I'm not saying my way is best.
    "You don't want you games to last months. You want to play a decent game and then analysis it as soon as possible and start another one"

Seems to me that you're telling me what I want. I may be wrong.

D

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree