London chess classic 2012

London chess classic 2012

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
07 Dec 12
1 edit

Originally posted by tomtom232
What I find amazing is how accurately these players judge positions. They'll say yeah well black may be marginally better but it looks like a draw and the evaluator will have black better by mere centipawns.
I don't understand how they do it, none of their moves look plausible to me and yet
they churn them out with almost unerring accuracy! Half the time they don't even look
like moves anyone would consider. The seem to prize mobility above almost anything
else, even giving material if it means more mobility.

t

Moves
07 Dec 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
I don't understand how they do it, none of their moves look plausible to me and yet
they churn them out with almost unerring accuracy! Half the time they don't even look
like moves anyone would consider. The seem to prize mobility above almost anything
else, even giving material if it means more mobility.
McShane missed a nice wrap up but he'll still nab the full point.

rc

Moves
07 Dec 12

Originally posted by tomtom232
McShane missed a nice wrap up but he'll still nab the full point.
its all over now, but even so, they don't care about pawns these guys, at least they
don't seem to, doubled, tripled, backwards, isolated or anything, as long as their pieces
have mobility. Its always interesting to hear them speak of one piece dominating
another even though its like miles away.

t

Moves
07 Dec 12
2 edits

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
its all over now, but even so, they don't care about pawns these guys, at least they
don't seem to, doubled, tripled, backwards, isolated or anything, as long as their pieces
have mobility. Its always interesting to hear them speak of one piece dominating
another even though its like miles away.
Pawns aren't weak just because they are doubled tripled, backward or isolated. There are other factors that go into it. For example, the pawns have to be able to be targeted for one, then they have to be restrained from advancing and other things that I don't understand. Also, some pawns are weak that aren't even doubled, isolated etc simply because they can be victimes of tactical threats like overloading, pins(even non absolute pins and being pinned to other pawns) and other tactics which lead to combinations. There are just too many factors to pin down in one article or even a whole book.

Edit: Also, they want pawn mobility as well for the endgame. I learned a general rule in the endgame that if you want to win you are better keeping the pawn structure unbalanced and your task becomes harder when the pawns are symmetrical... never really thought about it before.

Duckfinder General

223b Baker Street

Moves
07 Dec 12

Originally posted by Marinkatomb
You have to feel for Anand, WHOPPING blunder! If he's not careful he could drop out of the top ten. Has there ever been a World champ outside the top ten??
Even I spotted that one.. I think Vishy must be sandbagging and planning to enter the <1600 category in the World Open.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
08 Dec 12

Originally posted by thaughbaer
Even I spotted that one.. I think Vishy must be sandbagging and planning to enter the <1600 category in the World Open.
No he will not be allowed to do that because his rating has went too high. Now, I can do it because my floor is 1500.

Duckfinder General

223b Baker Street

Moves
08 Dec 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
No he will not be allowed to do that because his rating has went too high. Now, I can do it because my floor is 1500.
Another sandbagging confession. Keep them coming. Or would you like to wait for representation ( which I suspect will be in bold ) ?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
08 Dec 12

Another sandbagging confession. Keep them coming. Or would you like to wait for representation ( which I suspect will be in bold ) ?
Why do you guys always think the worst of others?

Moves
08 Dec 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
Why do you guys always think the worst of others?
Others? Which others? It's just you.

Duckfinder General

223b Baker Street

Moves
08 Dec 12

Originally posted by Kegge
Others? Which others? It's just you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Others_%28Lost%29

Funny how RJ only started posting on here once the series had finished. And then JC comes along. 'J' for Jacob. Somebody pass the tin foil.

Moves
08 Dec 12

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Others_%28Lost%29

Funny how RJ only started posting on here once the series had finished. And then JC comes along. 'J' for Jacob. Somebody pass the tin foil.
I will not forgive them for that final season. 🙁

rc

Moves
08 Dec 12
1 edit

Originally posted by Kegge
I will not forgive them for that final season. 🙁
I wanna see Judith win today, she has nothing to lose and has not played her usual
style. I hope Naka schools Magnus! although at +5 = 12 in Carlsens favor i don't think
its likely!

Duckfinder General

223b Baker Street

Moves
08 Dec 12

Burger King + Daniel King. Beat that for a Saturday Afternoon.

rc

Moves
08 Dec 12
1 edit

Burger King + Daniel King. Beat that for a Saturday Afternoon.
LOL, Burger King, bwhaha, Vlad Kramnic LEGEND!, cups of tea brought lovingly by ones
wife, bribed the kids to stay away and a box of jaffa cakes awaits, Daniel King
LEGEND! How good does it get?

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
10 Dec 12

Polgar v Aronian, is it possible to play a lamer game?