London chess classic 2012

London chess classic 2012

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P

Moves
10 Dec 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
commentators were saying the Anands style has changed, he is much less innovative
than before. Kramniks goal is to refute 1.e4!
I don`t think any chess professional has such an unreal goal 🙂

t

Moves
10 Dec 12
1 edit

Originally posted by Pacifique
Topalov`s tournament performance in 2005 (starting with San Luis) and in 2006 (before match with Kramnik) was similar with Carlsen`s performance now. Also Kramnik`s play before match with Topalov was very similar with Anand`s current play.

I don`t say that Carlsen can`t beat Anand. If Anand will continue to play like that Carlsen will beat him even if h ...[text shortened]... d match player. But are you sure that it will be Carlsen who will play next WC match with Anand?
Kramnik was also 11 years younger than Anand is now.

P

Moves
10 Dec 12
1 edit

Originally posted by tomtom232
Kramnik was also 11 years younger than Anand is now.
And Kramnik had some health problems then. Anand never had a reason to complain about health. Or had he?

Also I should repeat that I`m not so 100% sure that it will be Carlsen who will play next WC match vs Anand.

rc

Moves
10 Dec 12

And Kramnik had some health problems then. Anand never had a reason to complain about health. Or had he?

Also I should repeat that I`m not so 100% sure that it will be Carlsen who will play next WC match vs Anand.
Really, who then?

The drunk knight

Stuck on g1

Moves
10 Dec 12

Really, who then?
RJ! lols

rc

Moves
10 Dec 12

Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
RJ! lols
Lol. I've played Anand! yes its true, me and about 300 other people in a vote match on
chess.com, we drew the match. He would of course be no match for Ronald Jonah
Hinds. 😛

k
Mr Ring Rusty

Wales

Moves
10 Dec 12
2 edits

If Carlsen is so superior how you claim him to be then there should be no competition format which could stop him. Carlsen obviously was not so sure about
A few years back a number of players progressed through the first round of the candidates only for things to fizzle out. Money that was promised just disappeared. I'm sure he has better things to do with his time and preparation.

At the Turin Olympiad in 2006 there was a rival candidate up for election as President. All the delegates had watches and 'gifts' from FIDE and the president. he duly won the election.

I've still got the crappy watch somewhere..!

I don't blame Carlsen for keeping away..!

B

Moves
10 Dec 12

Originally posted by kingshill
Magnus doesn't need to be messed around with the World champs. He IS the defacto World Champion and everyone knows. It's strange to watch him play. Many other Champs have depended on their opening whilst he just wants equality with chances out of the opening.
I agree with this 100%. He has taken the next step I think in defining modern chess professionalism. He plays not to secure an advantage from the opening (though if you present him with it he'll take it). He plays for chances, imbalances, and their exploitation like no one else. His maneuvering skills and endgame technique are simply amazing.

s
The Mighty Messenger

The Wood of N'Kai

Moves
10 Dec 12

Carlsen vs Anand? Right now,no contest! Not only is Carlsen head and shoulders above everybody else right now,Anand has lost his mojo. I don't know if he is getting old,getting bored,or just lost his ambition,but all he seems to want to do nowadays is draw,draw,draw! I think Kramnik is the only one right now that would have a chance against Magnus right now,tho a match I would love to see is Carlsen vs Nakamura!

t

Moves
10 Dec 12

Originally posted by sundown316
Carlsen vs Anand? Right now,no contest! Not only is Carlsen head and shoulders above everybody else right now,Anand has lost his mojo. I don't know if he is getting old,getting bored,or just lost his ambition,but all he seems to want to do nowadays is draw,draw,draw! I think Kramnik is the only one right now that would have a chance against Magnus right now,tho a match I would love to see is Carlsen vs Nakamura!
There are other elite GMs besides Anand, Kramnik, Nakamura and Carlsen any of whom could beat the others on any given day. You're forgetting Aronian, Radjabov, Cuarana, Karjakin, Topalov and Mamedyarov or basically the rest of the top ten rated players.

rc

Moves
10 Dec 12
1 edit

Originally posted by tomtom232
There are other elite GMs besides Anand, Kramnik, Nakamura and Carlsen any of whom could beat the others on any given day. You're forgetting Aronian, Radjabov, Cuarana, Karjakin, Topalov and Mamedyarov or basically the rest of the top ten rated players.
You're forgetting Aronian, Radjabov, Cuarana, Karjakin, Topalov, Robbie and Mamedyarov or basically the rest of the top ten rated players.

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
10 Dec 12

If Carlsen is so superior how you claim him to be then there should be no competition format which could stop him. Carlsen obviously was not so sure about his success and made Fischer-like PR move.

If you are unable to see the difference between tournament and match play it speaks only about lack of your knowledge.

And it`s really stupid to make conclusions from one tournament with some participants obviously weaker than others.
Actually, i have to disagree here. The previous World championship candidates cycle was ridiculous. The format discouraged any sort of risk, 4 games followed by blitz just meant one bad game was a guaranteed exit from the cycle.

Gelfand won. Was he the strongest player?

I don't think many people think he was/is.

Carlsen had a lot to lose in that system. He had only just reached no1 status. As no1 he suddenly had endorsements, appearances, sponsorship, advertising, modelling, etc, etc... All of these things meant he could earn a lot of money. Losing that status would be missing an opportunity to actually cash in on all the work he's done over the last decade or two. Becoming World champion would bring a lot more of those things too, but there were no guarantees. He could easily drop a game to someone, and once that happens he's as good as out...in one game!

By holding out and insisting on a fair cycle he's got a system that WILL select the strongest player! This round robin candidates tournament is as fair as it's going to get. Ok he won't be the youngest World champion in history (which is a shame, he should be!) but all things considered i think he's played his hand correctly...

P

Moves
11 Dec 12
2 edits

Really, who then?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Chess_Championship_2013#Candidates.27_tournament

Kramnik, Aronian and Radjabov may win Candidates tournament as well. Or do you think that Carlsen wins each tournament he takes part?

P

Moves
11 Dec 12
1 edit

Originally posted by Burnsider
I agree with this 100%. He has taken the next step I think in defining modern chess professionalism. He plays not to secure an advantage from the opening (though if you present him with it he'll take it). He plays for chances, imbalances, and their exploitation like no one else. His maneuvering skills and endgame technique are simply amazing.
"Next step" LOL. Have you heard about Bent Larsen? He also played without much ambitions in opening to outplay his opponents in next stages of the game. His tournament results in 1967-68 (including "five consecutive clear wins of major tournaments, a feat that had not previously been accomplished in modern chess." ) was the reason why many considered him as the next possible world champion. Unfortunately his match play was not so impressive.

P

Moves
11 Dec 12
2 edits

Originally posted by Marinkatomb
Actually, i have to disagree here. The previous World championship candidates cycle was ridiculous. The format discouraged any sort of risk, 4 games followed by blitz just meant one bad game was a guaranteed exit from the cycle.

Gelfand won. Was he the strongest player?

I don't think many people think he was/is.

Carlsen had a lot to lose in tha shame, he should be!) but all things considered i think he's played his hand correctly...
You claim the competition format wrong just because your favorite was afraid not to win. No wonder Carslen`s proposal (in his letter to FIDE) was World championship tournaments like in 2005 and 2007 - he is good at tournament play but he afraids not to be so good in match play. I remember some people claiming Kramnik, Gelfand & Anand not brave enough. So I ask them - how brave and sportsmanlike is to withdraw from competition just because you are not for 100% sure that you`ll win?

I don`t think we should belittle Gelfand, because most chess fans did not expect (and did not want) him to win or because of Carlsen refusing to prove that he is the best candidate to World Champion title.