1. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 19:10
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Spassky regularly played Kings Gambit I believe but he is not presumably a competent GM becasue his name does not begin with K.
    One of the most famous Spassky`s KG game

[Event "URS-ch"]
    [Site "URS-ch"]
    [Date "1960.??.??"]
    [EventDate "?"]
    [Round "?"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [White "B Spassky"]
    [Black "Bronstein David"]
    [ECO "C36"]
    [WhiteElo "?"]
    [BlackElo "?"]
    [PlyCount "46"]

1. e4 e5 2. f4 exf4 3. Nf3 d5 4. exd5 Bd6 5. Nc3 Ne7 6. d4 O-O 7. Bd3
    Nd7 8. O-O h6 9. Ne4 Nxd5 10. c4 Ne3 11. Bxe3 fxe3 12. c5 Be7 13. Bc2
    Re8 14. Qd3 e2 15. Nd6 Nf8 16. Nxf7 exf1=Q+ 17. Rxf1 Bf5 18. Qxf5 Qd7 19. Qf4 Bf6 20. N3e5 Qe7 21. Bb3 Bxe5 22. Nxe5+ Kh7 23. Qe4+ 1-0
  2. Joined
    19 Feb '02
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 20:20
    Originally posted by z00t
    What's nonsense dude is that none of what you/sidekicks says concurs with what the USCF/BCF thinks beginners should be taught. In fact it is so outlandish I've never seen any self-respecting author recommending beginners play gambit chess.

In fact why don't you succeed where your sidekick failed and show me any book that recommends a 1300-level player start ...[text shortened]... ss abuse.

This is not one of those variants where you are competing to lose/be checkmated.
    *sigh*

If you had understood my previous post then you would not be talking to me but to the creator of this thread giving your opinion/advice on this matter.

And for the last time, this thread is NOT about what USCF/BCF thinks and what books say. We all have our own opinion about how beginners should be taught, but this thread is also NOT about that. I suggest you go back to the thread title, read the first post again, and answer that question.

Adje
  3. Joined
    10 Nov '06
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 20:39
    I am the one who oringinally started this thread and truly amazed how much interest has been created. I appreciate all of your advice and honestly, I was just looking for fun openings against friends. Although improving would be great, I just like having fun. In my opinion closed games are very boring and I realize that this view results in weaker play. But who cares at the end of the day as long as I am having fun.

p.s. I still appreciate the people who were concerned that these openings will result in a potentially even lower rating.
  4. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 23:05
    Originally posted by deathandrugby
    I am the one who oringinally started this thread and truly amazed how much interest has been created. I appreciate all of your advice and honestly, I was just looking for fun openings against friends. Although improving would be great, I just like having fun. In my opinion closed games are very boring and I realize that this view results in weaker pl ...[text shortened]... he people who were concerned that these openings will result in a potentially even lower rating.
    They won't result in a lower rating. Tactics is at least 50% of chess in one way or another. We all make tactical errors and the best way to improve tactics is open (often Gambit) play and if you enjoy so much the better.
  5. Donationbriancron
    nunquam perdo
    Washington, DC
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 23:19
    You will do well playing gambits you are familiar with against your friends for sure and you will have fun.

You may not become a Grandmaster or earn the respect of zoot on the RHP forum but you don't need references and sources to know that playing all of those sharp tactical games will make you a better player.
    Below is a great quote about using Gambits at a higher level than you and I are at but I think the general idea works for us bottomfeeders as well.

The quote is from Ken Smith (US Master of Smith-Morra Gambit fame)
    I got the quote from a great site either Bedlam or DragonFire posted http://www.exeterchessclub.org.uk/Openings/gambits.htm

"Now is the time the boys will be separated from the men. It is the biggest decision you must be willing to make in your chess career. YOU MUST ADD GAMBITS TO YOUR OPENING SYSTEM (Note: I said ADD-NOT GIVE UP your basic system). You must play them, win with them, and lose with them. There is no substitute. Being a pawn down, you will have to dig into each position on each move. You will learn to use that extra space and tempo. You will develop that "killer instinct" and learn to handle open positions-being ready when that closed position will surely become open. Those than cannot stand to lose games and rating points because they are converting to gambit play ARE HOPELESS in my book. Do not cry with them when they are on "that chess hill they can't climb", and do not feel sorry when they start slipping backward. For with stubbornness and cowardice, they did not play gambits and dug their own chess graves!"
  6. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 23:24
    Originally posted by briancron
    You will do well playing gambits you are familiar with against your friends for sure and you will have fun.

You may not become a Grandmaster or earn the respect of zoot on the RHP forum but you don't need references and sources to know that playing all of those sharp tactical games will make you a better player.
    Below is a great quote about using Gambi ...[text shortened]... h stubbornness and cowardice, they did not play gambits and dug their own chess graves!"
    Great quote. Very true. Must be Bedlam as I haven't seen it before.

None of us will earn z00ts respect, ever!
  7. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 00:11
    An exciting game, eh? well if you don't think the opening is exciting then you are playing the wrong game!

but besides that, a very exciting game is the traxler variation of the Fried liver. Game 2890364 (my first time playing it, I got smashed)

Or play gambits, like the scotch gambit. 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 exd4 4.Bc4
  8. Donationbriancron
    nunquam perdo
    Washington, DC
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 00:23
    Originally posted by ChessJester
    An exciting game, eh? well if you don't think the opening is exciting then you are playing the wrong game!

but besides that, a very exciting game is the traxler variation of the Fried liver. Game 2890364 (my first time playing it, I got smashed)

wow!

Underpromotion to knight fork for the win... great game

I wouldn't even be upset about losing that one it's like a work of art.
  9. Standard memberMathurine
    sorozatgyilkos
    leölés ellenfeleim
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 00:27

I watched that game... commiserations...🙁
  10. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 00:43

Gambits are great. You either know what you're doing and sac, sac, sac Game 2402048 until you might get winning chances, or you lose through failing to see tactic after tactic after tactic.

Sharp, tactical games have to be the way to go. Tactics before strategy for me every time.

Btw, don't worry yourselves about z00t. Trolling is his thing. He may feel justified in telling everybody repeatedly that they are wrong, but he's just another forum character. Ignore him at your own choice.

D
  11. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 07:43
    Isn't chess supposed to be fun?
    In the OP the word "fireworks" was used.
    Fireworks + fun = gambits
    Simple maths - duh!
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 10:00
    Hi all,

I am new in this site. I have couple of questions. I checked public games and I noticed games take long time. A move in one week? (Just curiosity) is there any game shorter-maybe just in one day or-better- in one hour or so? How can I find them as a player or a follower of public games.

Thanks
  13. Joined
    19 Feb '02
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 12:041 edit
    Originally posted by kdublin
    Hi all,

I am new in this site. I have couple of questions. I checked public games and I noticed games take long time. A move in one week? (Just curiosity) is there any game shorter-maybe just in one day or-better- in one hour or so? How can I find them as a player or a follower of public games.

Thanks
    First of all, better start your own thread next time, since this is a totally different question and has nothing to do with the current thread.

This is a correspondence site, so games take easily days, weeks or months.

If you want short games, create an open invite with a time-out of 1 day, or maybe even 0 days and an appropriate timebank.
    If no one responds, you could ask around (or search) in the forums.
    By looking at public games you may see someone who move quick, you could then send a PM asking for a quick game.

Good luck.

Adje
  14. Standard memberrotk
    Orc slayer
    Gondor
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 16:52

I think you mean "traxler varation of the two knights defence" the fried liver attack (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.Ng5 d5 5.exd5 Nxd5 6. Nxf7?) desevres a question mark because it is the wrong move, 6.d4! exd4 7.0-0 and on 8.Nxf7, wins and forces black too resign.
  15. Joined
    10 Nov '06
    Moves
    30 Dec '06 18:51
    I would just like to say that zOOt is a good person and is now trying to help me improve.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree