Mr. Shield
    Moves
    10 Sep '07 05:22
    Anand, Aronian or Leko, I hope.
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Sep '07 05:35
    Anand and Kramnik are most likely. But I wouldn't count the others out. I've been very impressed with Gelfand for example.
  3. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    10 Sep '07 07:20
    I'm rooting for Morozevich.
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    10 Sep '07 13:18
    Originally posted by schakuhr
    I'm rooting for Morozevich.
    Everyone roots for Moro, but can he win? I think not.
  5. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    10 Sep '07 14:08
    Originally posted by Yuga
    From chessgames.com

"Eight players compete in Mexico City for the right to challenge Kramnik for the world title. The players are: Anand, Svidler, Morozevich, Leko, Gelfand, Aronian, Grischuk, and Kramnik."

So, Kramnik is playing for the right to challenge himself? 😉

I'm guessing Aronian will win.
    chessgames.com has an interesting piece of info that seems not to correspond to the many I've read elsewhere, including "The winner of the Mexico World Championship receives the undisputed title of World Chess Champion." http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=4078
  6. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    10 Sep '07 14:58
    I'm rooting for Aronian but I expect Anand to win.
  7. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Sep '07 15:08
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    chessgames.com has an interesting piece of info that seems not to correspond to the many I've read elsewhere, including "The winner of the Mexico World Championship receives the undisputed title of World Chess Champion." http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=4078
    no, this is the truth: the winner of this tournament is the world champion. he will play against kramnik something like a rematch and after that the winner from this match will play another word cup match against the winner between topalov and some other tournament winner.
  8. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    10 Sep '07 22:46
    Originally posted by vipiu
    no, this is the truth: the winner of this tournament is the world champion. he will play against kramnik something like a rematch and after that the winner from this match will play another word cup match against the winner between topalov and some other tournament winner. (emphasis added)
    Precisely. The event is not a qualifier, as implied at chessgames.com, but the championship itself. Then, FIDE returns to the match system they abandoned in 1993.
  9. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    11 Sep '07 09:27
    they should play by Sofia rules...
    and ban Svidler
    and still I bet we'll see many quick draws 🙁

...even I have noticed that recently Aronian plays more like Topalov style...fight to the end...
  10. Joined
    18 Jun '07
    Moves
    11 Sep '07 15:24
    Is there any coverage of this event? News? TV? youtube!?
  11. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    11 Sep '07 21:18
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    "The winner of the Mexico World Championship receives the undisputed title of World Chess Champion." http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=4078
    And I thought Mexico City was simply supposed to choose a challenger for Kramnik. 😞 And it's actually the World Championship, lol!

From wikipedia:

If Kramnik does not win the 2007 World Championship, he will play a World Championship match in 2008 against the 2007 Champion.

If Kramnik wins the 2007 World Championship, he will play a World Championship match in 2008 against Veselin Topalov.

Well, that's just weird. 😕
  12. Joined
    30 Nov '06
    Moves
    12 Sep '07 00:29
    Originally posted by Yuga
    And I thought Mexico City was simply supposed to choose a challenger for Kramnik. 😞 And it's actually the World Championship, lol!

From wikipedia:

If Kramnik does not win the 2007 World Championship, he will play a World Championship match in 2008 against the 2007 Champion.

If Kramnik wins the 2007 World Championship, he will play a World Championship match in 2008 against Veselin Topalov.

Well, that's just weird. 😕
    Welcome to the wonderfull world of fide.
    Would you like the full tour or do you want to go straight to Kirsan's basement to see the aliens he has been keeping there?
  13. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    12 Sep '07 08:481 edit
    Isn't it supposed to start today ?

Why there is nothing about it on chessbase?
    Why the official site is so sucky and outdated? Nothing about any live relay...

How can I see the games online from office(web based, without logging to some chess server like ICC or FICS)

(edit: I see now, the games are supposed to start tomorrow)
  14. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    12 Sep '07 13:441 edit
    Originally posted by vipiu
    Isn't it supposed to start today ?

Why there is nothing about it on chessbase?
    Why the official site is so sucky and outdated? Nothing about any live relay...

How can I see the games online from office(web based, without logging to some chess server like ICC or FICS)

(edit: I see now, the games are supposed to start tomorrow)
    That has been bothering me too. No wonder chess can't attract sponsers, we don't know how to promote ourselves.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=4106

IN the bottom paragraph...
    will be broadcast live on the official site and on Playchess.com serve
  15. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    12 Sep '07 14:49
    Some excellent tactical quizzes can be found on the official site.

http://www.chessmexico.com/es/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=66&Itemid=87

Click on a players name for a short bio, a sample (annotated) game, and a few excellent tactical exercises.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree