1. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 20:33
    When someone is banned, is my recollection correct that their games just end and their opponents don't get rating points for them? If so, might this not cause rating deflation?
  2. Joined
    01 Feb '07
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 20:42
    Originally posted by omulcusobolani
    I don't understand h5,maybe I'm stupid but could you please explain why is h5 in you opinion a double exclamation mark move and why would only a gm/strong engine play it?
    Edit: Nevermind I think I figured it out.
    I don't think h5 is that suspicious of a move and my understanding of it's purpose would be to potentially give the bishop the h6-c1 diaganol and it gives the Knight on f6 and advanced (temporary) support point.
  3. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 20:512 edits
    Originally posted by Korch
    Maybe she didnt start to use engine then. Also some moves she could do withhout assistance of engine. Anyway - I`m pretty sure that she have used engine against me - for example in Game 2894826 I dont believe that human if he/she isnt GM would find 20...h5!!.
    Originally posted by Turanthor
    Only another 120 some odd ppl to go before you make it to the top 10 eh DF? 🙂

A good move. Designed to support the N on g4 (I think)!

Its difficult to say if I'd even look at it. Probably not as it is counter intuitive to push a pawn in front of the king with all those enemy forces around!

I hope not. Then I will be banned seeing they work from the top down banning everone in sequence. I must work really hard on getting my grade back down to a safe level, perhaps 1200..
  4. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 20:53
    Originally posted by omulcusobolani
    I don't understand h5,maybe I'm stupid but could you please explain why is h5 in you opinion a double exclamation mark move and why would only a gm/strong engine play it?
    Edit: Nevermind I think I figured it out.
    Because it made possible decisive manevour Ng4 after which my position became hopeless. It was decisive. If I would play 21.h3? then 21...Ng4! would follow anyway. - 22.hxg4 Rxe3 and if 23.Qxe3 then 23....Bxd4.
  5. Canada
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 23:19
    Because it made possible decisive manevour Ng4 after which my position became hopeless. It was decisive. If I would play 21.h3? then 21...Ng4! would follow anyway. - 22.hxg4 Rxe3 and if 23.Qxe3 then 23....Bxd4.
    not trying to take anything from you Korch, obviously you are a talented player and know a lot about chess, but unless your a gm???, how would you know that h5 would be only a move a gm would play??...i could see a 2000 rated player, who took his time, went through the position and realised that placing his knight on g4 would be decisive, possible then he would contemplate h5?? i think possibly they would consider it??? over the board even more likely then correspondance (speaking from personal experience i tend to look at more possiblilities over the board since its more serious)....like i said im not trying to be rude, but i dont know if you have the right to say that???
  6. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 23:35
    Originally posted by ItsYouThatIAdore
    not trying to take anything from you Korch, obviously you are a talented player and know a lot about chess, but unless your a gm???, how would you know that h5 would be only a move a gm would play??...i could see a 2000 rated player, who took his time, went through the position and realised that placing his knight on g4 would be decisive, possible t ...[text shortened]... s)....like i said im not trying to be rude, but i dont know if you have the right to say that???
    Its easy to say, when you have found this move. But its hardly imagine that human will even consider such moves which (at first sight) weakens their kingside.
  7. Joined
    21 Sep '06
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 23:40
    My initial impression was that "Natacha" was merely pretending to be female. Guess we'll never know. I'm surprised by the engine use though - but I guess our 4 games hadn't progessed enough for me to get suspicious.
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '06
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 23:44
    Originally posted by zebano
    When someone is banned, is my recollection correct that their games just end and their opponents don't get rating points for them? If so, might this not cause rating deflation?
    I had this same question. I had games against a 3(a) player, against two of his accounts.

I reported him cus I could tell it was the same player, plus I could see him using my own moves against me. But when he was banned I got 2 unrated wins.

Yet I noticed that a few ppl got points for T/Oing Cheating Steve.

Was it because of those games being Tournament game? or does 3(b) cheating now let ppl get their pts back?
  9. Standard memberjfkjmh
    nice one
    bed, chair or floor
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 23:47

Yet I noticed that a few ppl got points for T/Oing Cheating Steve.

Was it because of those games being Tournament game? or does 3(b) cheating now let ppl get their pts back?[/b]
    The admins don't resign the games immediately. Before they do so, time out losses do affect the rating.
  10. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    13 Feb '07 02:48
    Originally posted by jfkjmh
    The admins don't resign the games immediately. Before they do so, time out losses do affect the rating.
    I've never been able to claim a win in games against banned players.
  11. Joined
    30 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Feb '07 05:01
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Hm, Natacha wasn't even on my suspicion list...I was blinded!
    You have a list? 😕
  12. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    13 Feb '07 09:57
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Hm, Natacha wasn't even on my suspicion list...I was blinded!
    She was so pretty! Are all the pretty ones cheaters?

Perhaps the pretty ones are really very ugly blokes!
  13. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '07 10:03
    Originally posted by Ramiri15
    You have a list? 😕
    I have a list as well. It's like a "dead celebrities list" (see www.stiffs.com) - you can tick off the cheats as they're outed. I've only kept the list since last November, and so far only one name has been crossed out (TouaregNew).

There are two more players in the top 30 (neither one in the top three) who I expect to be banned for engine use in due course. I have a few other names on my list, but these are people I want to avoid due to bad sportsmanship or other obnoxious behaviour.

Sometimes I find it a bit depressing when I see all these players getting kicked off for engine use, but when I look at the player tables I can see loads of players who very definitely are not using engines and often they beat the engine users anyway! I'm not good enough to do this, though I can beat Crafty in a fair game on my computer a lot of the time.
  14. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '07 10:03
    Originally posted by Ramiri15
    You have a list? 😕
    He has two lists, she was on the other one. Along with Suzianne and Moneymaker7 I believe.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree