1. back in business
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 17:46
    hmmm are you serious? arent all beginners who barely know the moves already about 1400 players?
  2. Somewhere out there!
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 18:00
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    hmmm are you serious? arent all beginners who barely know the moves already about 1400 players?
    hmm maybe the ones with like 150+ IQ
  3. Parallel Universe
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 20:13
    Originally posted by Testrider
    hmm maybe the ones with like 150+ IQ
    IQ doesn't have anything to do with a high Elo. Knowing tactics and endgames will get you far. Study those. There's more to it than that, obviously, but those two are a great place to start studying/learning.
  4. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 20:18
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    Can you say "Inflated national rating system?"
  5. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 20:19
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Hmm... From xyr profile: "On a personal note I'm just a typical easy going kick back kind of guy"
    From my profile: "I'm a three year old, 32oz, female." and "I'm looking for a sensitive guy..."
  6. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 21:29
    Alright so there's about 6 of you guys, good.

I don't want to gaurantee anything because I can't honestly know if you actually did what I said and then you could tell me that it didn't work.

But if you actually do what I say, then you should be able to get to 1400 atleast but probably above that on here.
  7. The sky
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 21:34
    Originally posted by ark13
    From my profile: "I'm a three year old, 32oz, female." and "I'm looking for a sensitive guy..."
    Yes, and your point is ...? What does the fact that you are a three year old 32oz female have to do with the fact that HomerJSimpson is a typical easy going kick back kind of guy? Ah, wait... Of course... You hope he reads this because he might be the sensitive guy you are looking for. Right?
  8. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 21:43
    Alright first thing:

1.Take you chess seriously. Don't mess around play as if it was blitz and setting traps "hoping" your opponent will fall for them. This is called "hope" chess and won't get you anywhere.

2.After each of your opponents move, ask yourself what is my opponents threat. If you gave him another move what would he do?

3.Think of the move you want to make, and play it on the analysis board or a real board and make sure you aren't losing a piece or that you didn't miss something.

Here are three websites which will help you get to 1400ish.

http://www.princeton.edu/~jedwards/cif/intro.html

Great chess site for beginners and it should teach you stragegy, some openings etc... Make sure you learn everything on this site.

http://chess.about.com/library/ble63ndx.htm

Start with the easy tactic puzzles and work you way up. The hard ones are around 1700ish so don't worry if you don't get them, but still go through them. There are also other resources on this site which you should check out after.

Finally for openings. This isn't a huge thing at this point for you guys since most games are won or lost because of tactics but you gotta play decent opening moves. No 1.h4 or 1.g4 stuff etc... and Bring you pieces out before instead of making lots of pawn moves etc...
    But playing decent openings should give you decent games. Don't follow the moves on this site blindly, because if you opponent plays something which isn't in the list, you have to know what to do. I suggest you pick a move, write it down and then check on this site and if the move you pick is not the best, figure out why.

http://www.shredderchess.com/online-chess/online-databases/opening-database.html

If I was teaching you guys 1 on 1 in person I could guarantee that you would get over 1400. But since it's online, I can't guarantee but follow these and you'll get there.

Good luck 🙂

Rahim
  9. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 21:44
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Yes, and your point is ...? What does the fact that you are a three year old 32oz female have to do with the fact that HomerJSimpson is a typical easy going kick back kind of guy? Ah, wait... Of course... You hope he reads this because he might be the sensitive guy you are looking for. Right?
    Point: people lie in their info page.

Discussion closed.
  10. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 22:16
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Point: people lie in their info page.

Discussion closed.
    It's not really so much of a lie as it's obvious I'm not a water bottle, and the other person in question is not Homer Simpson. It's just about joking.
  11. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 22:34

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 22:54
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    But.. i thought... 😕
    oh 🙁 I'm so sorry 🙁 I thought you knew I was just joking. You didn't already buy the plane tickets, did you?
  13. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 23:241 edit
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Alright first thing:

1.Take you chess seriously. Don't mess around play as if it was blitz and setting traps "hoping" your opponent will fall for them. This is called "hope" chess and won't get you anywhere.

2.After each of your opponents move, ask yourself what is my opponents threat. If you gave him another move what would he do?

3.Think of the mov can't guarantee but follow these and you'll get there.

Good luck 🙂

Rahim
    Good posting. Although I think it would be better to download winboard for free, install it and use these excercises from Fred Reinfeld's 1001 Winning Chess Sacrifices and Combinations

http://www.chessville.com/downloads/downloads_tactical_exercises.htm
  14. The sky
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 23:24
    Originally posted by ark13
    It's not really so much of a lie as it's obvious I'm not a water bottle, and the other person in question is not Homer Simpson. It's just about joking.
    But while your profile clearly is a joke, HomerJSimpson's profile sounds like a description of a real person, so I assumed that it was in fact a real description. Or does the comic (or cartoon, or whatever) character Homer Simpson like bowling (well, that would be possible) and chess (sounds rather unlikely)?
  15. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 23:29

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree