because I dont play here.

share with you??!? heh heh right...

or are you serious??
  2. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 20:42
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Then why are you only graded 1541 here?

but seriously if you are graded 1991 OTB you already know what you need to do so [b]share it with us
    [/b]
    Last I heard he was on here to practise his English Skills. Not the best place in my opinion.
  3. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 20:45
    The way you are going right now, you will get over 2000 here. Perhaps need to change your openings a bit and play solid ones. That doesn't mean much though. 2000 Rhp is not 2000 Otb.

Are you still playing OTB or you stopped?

And you do know what it takes to get to 2000 and above. You have been there before. Just have to remember all the things you knew when you were younger about chess and start playing that way again.

No need to ask others if you know yourself.
  4. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 21:23
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    because I dont play here.

share with you??!? heh heh right...

or are you serious??
    I am absolutely serious!

We all have an obligation in life, in chess as much as anything else, to help those less capable and / or fortunate than ourselves.

Its called giving rather that taking and the sum of human knowledge and experience is enharnced by such efforts and the world becomes just that little bit better for it.
  5. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 21:28
    Originally posted by RahimK
    The way you are going right now, you will get over 2000 here. Perhaps need to change your openings a bit and play solid ones. That doesn't mean much though. 2000 Rhp is not 2000 Otb.

Are you still playing OTB or you stopped?

And you do know what it takes to get to 2000 and above. You have been there before. Just have to remember all the things you knew ...[text shortened]... er about chess and start playing that way again.

No need to ask others if you know yourself.
    It is easier to get to 2000 here for a variety of reasons but, for me, at the end of the day it is my OTB skills that matters. It is not the rating, per se, that matters but my ability to perform well and win games for my club so that we stay in the division to which we were promoted last year. Here it is performing for your tean (clan) that also counts. The OTB season starts next month and in 8 months time I will know if my efforts here have helped.

Getting to 2000+ requires commitment and effort and I am not totally sure I have that in me any more but we will see. You see I don't always follow the guidelines I will lay down here.
  6. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 22:31
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    It is easier to get to 2000 here for a variety of reasons but, for me, at the end of the day it is my OTB skills that matters. It is not the rating, per se, that matters but my ability to perform well and win games for my club so that we stay in the division to which we were promoted last year. Here it is performing for your tean (clan) that also counts. ...[text shortened]... me any more but we will see. You see I don't always follow the guidelines I will lay down here.
    I hear you. I'm in the same boat as you but I've never been over 2000+ OTB before and frankly i'm sick of playing chess now. I don't even enjoy the 2 games I got going on against my friends right now. Wish I never started them but what you start you must finish!
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 05:16
    I was just glancing at the forums and I came across this one and though I would throw my 2 cents in.

I know that I am probably not this greatest person to take advice from when it comes to playing chess but here goes.

I was always just a casual player, actaully I still am. A friend introduced me to RHP and I started playing him a few games online. I accepted other challenges and was doing alright. Once my rating went up a little my a$$ started to get handed to me. I took some time away from playing online to study the game a little more. I studied and practied. I found out that there was people playing chess seriously down at my local Chapters so I introduced myself and played a few games. There was someone there that took interest in my games and offered some tips. After speaking with him a little bit he ended up becoming a coach wich really helped my game alot. I also read a lot of info at http://chesstactics.org. Reading just didnt do it though, I had to take what I read and apply it to real games. Ater a month or so I came back online and my rating has went no where but up. I think I am coming up on my wall though but am still impressed with where I have come from.

The simple answer to a simple question ... How do I get my rating up? Continual learning and trial and error. You can not become a GM over night. I do not have the asprations to become a GM, I just like to better myself when I can.

I too would like to break the 2K barrier one day to. If anyone would like to review my games and give me some pointers it would be greatly appreciated.
  8. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 05:28
    Originally posted by Remedies
    I was just glancing at the forums and I came across this one and though I would throw my 2 cents in.

I know that I am probably not this greatest person to take advice from when it comes to playing chess but here goes.

I was always just a casual player, actaully I still am. A friend introduced me to RHP and I started playing him a few games online ...[text shortened]... anyone would like to review my games and give me some pointers it would be greatly appreciated.
    Read my thread, Need help getting to 1600 under the chess forum. Use the same Ideas to get to 1800. That's what I did.

As for the simple answer 1400-1800 Tactics will get you there quickly.
  9. back in business
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 07:26
    Originally posted by Remedies
    If anyone would like to review my games and give me some pointers it would be greatly appreciated.
    sure. post some.
  10. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 07:45
    I haven't studied the 1800-2000 games at RHP but the 1600ish games usually end because of blunders. It just comes down to hard work in preparing for games and learning from your mistakes (after critically analysing your loses). It may also come down to cutting down on online blitz as this seriously weakens your chess.

A good chess player has the following qualities :-

- Opening Book understanding (not memorising lines as you can come unstuck if your opponent takes a sideturn.)
    - Ability to analyse complicated lines.
    - Middlegame strategy and tactics.
    - Positional understanding.
    - Endgame understanding
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 08:031 edit
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    sure. post some.
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/core/viewpublicgames.php?isminiboard=on&uid=219108

Thanks to anyone who comments on this game
  12. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 09:55
    Originally posted by z00t
    I haven't studied the 1800-2000 games at RHP but the 1600ish games usually end because of blunders. It just comes down to hard work in preparing for games and learning from your mistakes (after critically analysing your loses). It may also come down to cutting down on online blitz as this seriously weakens your chess.

A good chess player has the following qu ...[text shortened]... ines.
    - Middlegame strategy and tactics.
    - Positional understanding.
    - Endgame understanding
    Absolutely correct.

However, even the best players blunder (and I'm talking GMs here), they commit opening errors, miscalculate combinations or simply overlook an obvious move only they don't do it as often as the rest of us. So when you do make silly mistakes don't get downhearted.. It doesn't mean you are crap, it means you are human. A bit more focus on the game, spending more time on your moves and not rushing things should help reduce (but never eliminate) such errors.

...and I am as guilty as the next guy on this. The games I have thrown away because I have thought I was okay and moved quickly only to find I missed a simple combination that I know I can and should have seen beggar belief.
  13. Joined
    16 Aug '06
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 10:45
    I'm not a high rated player OTB simply because I just recently started playing chess (1 year ago) and have only played a few tournaments. But my performance rating is much higher. Personally I think it comes down to a little experience but most of all having the feeling. With more experience and knowledge your feeling works even better. Some people have no feeling so it doesn't matter how much they play, they will never get especially good anyway, that's the hard truth. A lot of people that I play against at my club have played for many years and still play a lot of blunders and bad moves. Not that I don't play bad moves myself but the difference is that thoose people when we analyze the game afterwards think they played really good if they won and were unlucky if they lost. So maybe some has to do with personality too. You must understand that you can never play a perfect game and try to prove yourself wrong at all times. That's how you get good.
  14. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 11:11
    Originally posted by sorrymate
    I'm not a high rated player OTB simply because I just recently started playing chess (1 year ago) and have only played a few tournaments. But my performance rating is much higher. Personally I think it comes down to a little experience but most of all having the feeling. With more experience and knowledge your feeling works even better. Some people have no ...[text shortened]... play a perfect game and try to prove yourself wrong at all times. That's how you get good.
    This is the "latent ability" that I am talking about on the 7th post in this thread. Its the level we will all rise to once we have got the basics sorted out.

To rise above this requires effort and the lower your "latent ability" the more effort is required.

Of course if you think you always play well and your losses are just bad luck then you will never improve. There is no luck in chess, its a game of skill, except in so far as you may be in a totally lost position and your opponent just leaves his Queen en prise so you win. Okay thats lucky but a certain level of skill was necessary to create this situation is the first place. If you are "unlucky" in a game that is down to:-
    a) a serious oversight (i.e. leaving a piece en prise or missing a mate in 1);
    b) a tactical error that results in your opponent playing a combination that losses (for you); or
    c) a bad plan resulting in you entering a strategically lost position.

None of these are down to luck. They are all areas that can be improved upon. Your opponent may have been lucky that you missed the mate in 1 but you most certainly were not unlucky. You can win through good luck but you will never lose through bad luck
  15. Joined
    16 Aug '06
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 11:52
    I read an article about chess and intelligence. In this they sorted people into two categories. One was the confirmers and the other was the falsifiers. 95% of the population are confirmers. That is they try to confirm and justify their own thoughts whereas the falsifiers try to prove themselves wrong. By doing tests on chessplayers of different strengths they found that the better players belonged to the falsifying group. Pretty interesting actually.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree