1. Under Cover
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 13:502 edits
    Hey DF, varenka, and Rahim,

Don't know if you guys were around, or even remember, but several years ago we had a Mentor/Mentee thread. Someone got the idea to team up players with someone stronger than them for coaching purposes. It worked well for most people (not for me, I got teamed up with Skeeter and for whatever reason she decided not to follow through with it). It might be more difficult if you are approaching or at 2K, simply because of a lack of stronger players willing to take part. At any rate, just thought I'd toss that out in case either of you had any interest in taking on 1-3 trainees and giving them specific coaching as opposed to general advice in the Forums (which is also welcome).
  2. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 16:065 edits
    Originally posted by BLReid

Don't know if you guys were around, or even remember, but several years ago we had a Mentor/Mentee thread. Someone got the idea to team up players with someone stronger than them for coaching purposes. It worked well for most people (not for me, I got teamed up with Skeeter and for whatever reason she decided not to follow throu ing them specific coaching as opposed to general advice in the Forums (which is also welcome).
    I guess that makes it time for another tip. Getting a coach or a mentor is all very well but a coach costs money and lets face it how many of us can afford that. As a general rule a coach 400 rating points above you will suffice so if you are 1200 you can learn a lot from a 1600 rating, etc. Some of us are prepared to throw around ideas in the forum which is all very well, perhaps it helps (hopefully it does). I try and throw around ideas not for any altruistic purpose but because analysis of other peoples games and writing threads like this helps me think about what I really need to do.

So you can't afford a coach. Is there another choice, yes
    5. Join a friendly and vibrant club and play against players stronger than you. Afterwards spend some time analysing the game with them. At most clubs the stronger players make a point of helping keen up and coming players improve. If your club won't join a better one. At Fareham Chess Club (www.Farehamchess.org.uk) we have coaching sessons 3 or 4 times a year and will always help weaker players improve.
  3. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 18:12
    Originally posted by BLReid

Don't know if you guys were around, or even remember, but several years ago we had a Mentor/Mentee thread. Someone got the idea to team up players with someone stronger than them for coaching purposes. It worked well for most people (not for me, I got teamed up with Skeeter and for whatever reason she decided not to follow throu ...[text shortened]... ing them specific coaching as opposed to general advice in the Forums (which is also welcome).
    Sounds like a great idea but i'm seriously debating giving chess up. Not going very well and my heads still not in it.
  4. washington
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 18:28
    i can't give chess up its impossible. i try to limit myself to games but once i win another one i load up on games. i try to study more but once i read a chapter i just have to go back to playing games rather than reading. hell i slept in the living room the other day and my mom went to the bathroom and i started talking in my sleep about a position i was in in one of my games online. my mom is like you need serious help. lol rahim some can make this game become their job others cannot. i know its hard to not be competative at it but you just have to find your balance of fun and challenge so you dont tire yourself out. with someone as smart as you are i'm sure theres plenty of other things you can do with your ability to learn than play chess. everyone dreams of playing as a gm but not many succeed. best of luck
    k-mac27
  5. back in business
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 18:48
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Sounds like a great idea but i'm seriously debating giving chess up. Not going very well and my heads still not in it.
    give it a try.
  6. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 20:12
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    give it a try.
    You see what I mean?

You are just hear to take stabs at people.

BTW, it's:

Give it a try.

Remeber your Grammar 😛
  7. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 20:13
    Originally posted by kmac27
    i can't give chess up its impossible. i try to limit myself to games but once i win another one i load up on games. i try to study more but once i read a chapter i just have to go back to playing games rather than reading. hell i slept in the living room the other day and my mom went to the bathroom and i started talking in my sleep about a position i was in ...[text shortened]... an play chess. everyone dreams of playing as a gm but not many succeed. best of luck
    k-mac27
    I see chess positions in my head, I solve them in my head. Since I've been on this break this has stopped.

Maybe going back to the chess club and playing with those great pieces and the environment will bring back the fun. I'll try that out sometime.
  8. back in business
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 20:14
    Grammar confuses me. I speak what I think, and
    I dont think way native english speakers do.
  9. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 20:151 edit
    I'm sure in your language you use capital letters!

Grammar confuses me. I speak what I think and I don't think the way native english speakers do.

Missed a word in there and a ' .

🙂
  10. Under Cover
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 20:28
    I haven't seen any evidence that you think the way decent people do, whatever language they use.
  11. back in business
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 20:28
    Originally posted by RahimK

Missed a word in there and a ' .

🙂
    What word did I miss?
  12. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 20:41
    What word did I miss?
    the
  13. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    25 Sep '06 02:44
    What word did I miss?
    Yes THE like tomtom said 🙂

It's a tricky one so I don't blame you. hehe
  14. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    27 Sep '06 16:19
    OK you guys heres the 6th suggestion.

6. Manipulate your rating

OK it doesn't really get you to 2000 but it gets your rating there so you get to feel good for a brief time. On RHP this is easy.

a) say you are rated 1800 and play 40 games against opponents with average rating of 1800. You should score 50% with say 16 wins, 8 draws and 16 losses. The 8 draws do nothing for you so take them whenever they arise but the 16 wins will add about 200 rating points so you want to take all of these before you take any losses. Then start 20 more games and take your "old" losses as you notch up new wins. You'll always have 16 losses sitting there and the day of reckoning will come but if you do it right it will be a long time coming.
    b) in those lost games delay making your moves as long as possible and give your opponent every chance to go on vacation so you can grab a time out. Not exactly fair but hey, this is war. Some will get so tired of waiting they will give up and leave RHP.

By my definition this tip is cheating. Almost as bad as using an engine in my opinion but so what if you have no morals.
  15. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    27 Sep '06 18:21
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    OK you guys heres the 6th suggestion.

[b]6. Manipulate your rating

OK it doesn't really get you to 2000 but it gets your rating there so you get to feel good for a brief time. On RHP this is easy.

a) say you are rated 1800 and play 40 games against opponents with average rating of 1800. You should score 50% with say 16 wins, 8 draws ...[text shortened]... cheating. Almost as bad as using an engine in my opinion but so what if you have no morals.[/b]
    You disappoint me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree