1. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    13 Dec '07 09:47
    I feel like it gives me a nice buffer - I can lose quite a few games now before I risked dropping under 2000 again.

Best of all - my first loss will lose me only 24 points instead of the usual 32 , thanks to the special ratings system for players over 2100.
  2. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    13 Dec '07 09:51
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    I feel like it gives me a nice buffer - I can lose quite a few games now before I risked dropping under 2000 again.

Best of all - my first loss will lose me only 24 points instead of the usual 32 , thanks to the special ratings system for players over 2100.
    I wondered why I stayed up so long despite playing like a donkey immediately after reaching the dizzy heights. Seems a little strange that 2100+ players should be specially favoured in this way.
  3. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    13 Dec '07 10:05
    I think it is to allow them to improve a little more freely. Otherwise, if people keep holding them to draws in games, they are going to be leaking points all over the place.

And also, it looks nicer for the website to have a few more of us on the ratings list - it helps to draw in strong players who might be browsing and deciding whether to play.
    Though I dont really consider myself one of them yet- more just somebody who has got his foot in the door but is about to get shut back out. If I can maintain this sort of rating for a few months then I think I would consider myself worthy.
  4. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    13 Dec '07 10:13
    I think it is to allow them to improve a little more freely. Otherwise, if people keep holding them to draws in games, they are going to be leaking points all over the place.

And also, it looks nicer for the website to have a few more of us on the ratings list - it helps to draw in strong players who might be browsing and deciding whether to pla ...[text shortened]... I can maintain this sort of rating for a few months then I think I would consider myself worthy.
    Just don't measure yourself by that number. You are a chess player not a bloody number! I know that as soon as that number becomes more important than the game that is the time to stop and do something different.
  5. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    13 Dec '07 10:22
    You are probably right, but I feel this number represents alot of improvement that I have made over this year.
    I had felt that I could get to 1900 and then level out there but, with my new attitude to the game, I would like to set my sights on getting to the final of the 2008 championship.
    Though I am sure making statements like that will see me getting into groups with 2300s and being eliminated early (hopefully it might be against cludi so I could get a game immortalised on his website)
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    13 Dec '07 15:27
    You are probably right, but I feel this number represents alot of improvement that I have made over this year.
    I had felt that I could get to 1900 and then level out there but, with my new attitude to the game, I would like to set my sights on getting to the final of the 2008 championship.
    Though I am sure making statements like that will see m ...[text shortened]... ed early (hopefully it might be against cludi so I could get a game immortalised on his website)
    the championships are notorius for eliminating strong players in the first rounds. it's because people like zebano play seriously for once, which seems to be about 300-400 points stronger than whatever they're rated.

I got dropped by uffejaster, who was about 1600 at the time if I remember right. now he's in the final. (totally my fault though, dropped a rook in one and a classic 'fisher Nxh7' type of blunder in the other which I was probably winning. luckily forced that into a perpetual, but the wounds for my idiocy have yet to heal.)
  7. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 20:04
    Bump so I can find it again
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 20:41
    Originally posted by Kepler
    Benn there briefly but i am scared of heights so I am coming down slowly to a safer altitude.
    I thought I saw you at 1400 or so and you still entered the 1500+ tournament. What happened are you stranded on an island with no access to books/dbs? You can always play Robinson Crusoe openings.
  9. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 20:491 edit
    Originally posted by Jie
    I thought I saw you at 1400 or so and you still entered the 1500+ tournament. What happened are you stranded on an island with no access to books/dbs? You can always play Robinson Crusoe openings.
    You forgot to offer him Mickey Mouse openings z00troll 😀
  10. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 21:101 edit
    Originally posted by Jie
    as usual, you're wrong. kepler User 276371 has never been under 1900 level since he joined. which is more than you ever reached.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 21:24
    Originally posted by wormwood
    as usual, you're wrong. kepler User 276371 has never been under 1900 level since he joined. which is more than you ever reached.
    He is rated 1455 now. Look at the tournament for non-subs or his profile. You need bigger glasses dude.
  12. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 21:31
    Originally posted by Jie
    He is rated 1455 now. Look at the tournament for non-subs or his profile. You need bigger glasses dude.
    that's as stupid as insisting everybody is 1200 just because once upon a time there was a point where they were.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 21:39
    that's as stupid as insisting everybody is 1200 just because once upon a time there was a point where they were.
    You said kepler has never been under 1900 level. He is now!

User 276371 has never been under 1900 level since he joined.
  14. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 22:06
    Originally posted by Jie
    You said kepler has never been under 1900 level. He is now!

[b]User 276371 has never been under 1900 level since he joined.
    [/b]
    did I say he was never rated under 1900? I didn't. he's 1450 now only because of dropping all his games. looking at his graph, it's obvious his level has never been under 1900. claiming he's 1400 is a gross misrepresentation of facts, he's been solid 2000 for years. there's no drop in playing strength because of books & dbs as you suggested.
  15. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 22:15
    Oh, gee. Let me guess... Next will come talk of reverse padding. 😕

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree