1. Joined
    24 Jun '10
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 22:49
    Why is the forum being flooded by blitz games?

There's never anything to learn from them. No commentary is every given and no suggestions are ever made. If you got a smothered mate on FICS 5/0 playing against ErodeTheMoon I really couldn't care less.

People need to start posting real games that they put effort into. The point of posting games should be self-improvement (for the most part), not self-advertising. The last time somebody posted a decent game for analysis was no1marauder's NYS Championship topic and that was like 2 weeks ago.
  2. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 22:54
    Originally posted by DivGradCurl

There's never anything to learn from them. No commentary is every given and no suggestions are ever made. If you got a smothered mate on FICS 5/0 playing against ErodeTheMoon I really couldn't care less.

People need to start posting real games that they put effort into. The point of posting games shoul ...[text shortened]... ent game for analysis was no1marauder's NYS Championship topic and that was like 2 weeks ago.
    rec'd
  3. Joined
    09 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 22:59

People need to start posting real games that they put effort into. The point of posting games shoul ...[text shortened]... ent game for analysis was no1marauder's NYS Championship topic and that was like 2 weeks ago.
    Oh all knowing one show us what we HAVE to put up on these open chess forums!

On a more serious note it shows how little YOU will ever know about chess saying you can't learn anything from a blitz game. I really couldn't care less what you think is valid to look at or not ;D.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 23:09

May your social skills improve as rapidly as your chess grade.
    Good Luck.
  5. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 23:163 edits

This is a chess forum, not a chess improvement forum. We can share anything chess related that we like with one another. If you don't like it, don't look.

Your post was about as mean-spirited as they come.

Just keep up the undefeated streak and drop in on EVERY SINGLE forum post to give your supreme opinion. That's what you seem to do best.

Edit: Whoever gave the two rec's should be ashamed of yourselves. How could you take something that obviously gives someone pleasure (like sharing a recent blitz win) and ridicule them for that?
  6. Joined
    24 Jun '10
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 23:47
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    This is a chess forum, not a chess improvement forum. We can share anything chess related that we like with one another. If you don't like it, don't look.

Your post was about as mean-spirited as they come.

Just keep up the undefeated streak and drop in on EVERY SINGLE forum post to give your supreme opinion. That's what you seem to d ...[text shortened]... viously gives someone pleasure (like sharing a recent blitz win) and ridicule them for that?
    Sorry if I offended your delicate sensibilities. Next time I say something controversial I will intersperse my paragraphs with links to kittens.

I mean, it's not like I'm asking for moderation or anything...

It's just that if you look through the threads on the first page here there's like 10+ topics on blitz games. None of them have analysis. Most of the comments are something like "cool..." or "well played..." It's analogous to reading YouTube comments.

http://tinyurl.com/2u2jpk

I just don't understand why people elect to post those games instead of the CC games they play here (for example) and spend at least 10x the effort/time on.

And while you're right that this forum isn't solely about improvement (certainly I'm willing to admit that), it is about interaction with peers here... and I'd say at least 90% of the blitz threads is just the OP posting a pgn and waiting for flattery.

http://tinyurl.com/4oh4rl
  7. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 00:03

If I see a thread that I know won't interest me, I just don't click on it. But I guess I'm funny that way.
  8. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 00:18
    Sorry if I offended your delicate sensibilities. Next time I say something controversial I will intersperse my paragraphs with links to kittens.

I mean, it's not like I'm asking for moderation or anything...

It's just that if you look through the threads on the first page here there's like 10+ topics on blitz games. None of them have analysis. Most ...[text shortened]... s just the OP posting a pgn and waiting for flattery.

http://tinyurl.com/4oh4rl
    I actually don't spend that much time on these games anymore. A lot of them have been played in the period of 1 day lately, and I only accept 1/0 challenges now.

When I play a nice blitz game though, it is usually something that has either a nice tactic or unusual position.

If you think about it, RHP games take weeks or months to complete (usually).
    I can (and have) play literally a hundred blitz or bullet games in a single day.
    By seeing that many more positions in a short period of time, you will have access to that many more unusual, tactical, or just plain entertaining positions.

It's not that blitz is better or even especially great. It just gives you a chance to experience a lot more chess (positions) in a shorter period of time.

Going over one's blitz games can improve one's play as well.

I have a friend that I gave personal over the board lessons too.
    We only looked at blitz games. That's all he plays.
    I wasn't able to teach him about all the exact weak points in his game, but occasionally, a reoccuring them would come up.
    For example, he would make bad minor piece trades or recaptures.

In one instance, he had two captures of a bishop, one with a bishop and one with a knight. The opponent could recapture once only. Therefore, the first capture decides which minor piece he would have left on the board. He chose the bishop on general principles. He should have left the knight on the board instead because the future play was going to allow the knight to be a super strong piece (hopping from color to color). There was even a direct route on the board.
    Having the bishop limited his play severely.

A few weeks later, he made the wrong decision again.

This time though, he said he thought about what I had told him AFTER he made his move. It hadn't sunk in yet.

A few weeks later, another situation came up, and he made the right decision.
    He began to consider minor piece exchanges more important to the overall strategy of the game, and he began to look at each individual postion first.
    Not just standardly recapturing helped make him better all around.

Other situations like this came up. Another example is that he would give up a strong initiative just for small material gain.
    We worked on that too.

I made him a better all around player just from going over BLITZ games and seeing patterns in his play. Studying blitz can help you improve.

After a year and a half of these lessons, his ICC rating went up over 200 points.

I should mention one other thing that he was doing wrong.
    He was also analyzing his blitz games with an engine in blunder check.
    I don't think this is the way to go.
    You should go move by move with infinite analysis and play out the obvious moves to see why they don't work.
    The positional move that the computer doesn't pick usually has a neat tactical shot 2 or 3 moves down the line.

Blitz is good chess practice.
    You get experience that used to take 10 or 20 years of OTB play in a matter of months.
    I do think it has it's minuses too.
    For one thing, endings will suffer in blitz games.
    You learn the obvious and general endings down pat over time, but the technical ones will elude you.
    There simply isn't enough time to put the necessary deep thought into coverting an ending in a blitz game.

One reason is because by the time you reach an ending there are only seconds left.

After it's over though, you can study these endings just like you would a tactic.

Blitz can also develop bad habits.

Sometimes I move too fast or make an automatic recapture.
    You have to mentally gear yourself down for slower games.

As for posting these blitz games here:

Sometimes there is something instructional to be learned.

Also, a lot of chessplayers need the ego boost from showing off one of their recent blitz wins. It gives them confidence and restores the desire to play. (I must confess that I have needed this boost to keep me motivated in the past.)

Some of us will never reach 2200, 2000, 1800, 1600, or even 1400. The real trick is to enjoy yourself. That's why we all took up the game in the first place.
    Showing off a nice win can really bring a smile to the players face.

Just for fun, go to a local club and have a low rated player go over a game with you. Watch the sparkle in their eye as they show you how they pulled off the upset and won the game. That's what chess is really about.
  9. Joined
    03 Apr '10
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 00:46
    And while you're right that this forum isn't solely about improvement (certainly I'm willing to admit that), it is about interaction with peers here... and I'd say at least 90% of the blitz threads is just the OP posting a pgn and waiting for flattery.

As someone who just posted a thread with a blitz game with no analysis, this hits close to home ^_^

But, I agree with paul. I think you're missing the point of posting these games. It isn't because we think these are masterpieces, it's because there was some feature of the game that was interesting, fun, and that we are proud of. Hopefully the feature that made this game so fun to play will also make it interesting for some to play through themselves; if it isn't your thing then just don't click on the threads.

When I play a game that I really like and that has a nice combination at the end, I want to share it with others. Is that so bad?

As for why CC games don't get posted as often, it's because they aren't as fun to play through quickly (in my experience anyway). How often do you get a queen sac mate in correspondence? How often do you get a 12 move mate in correspondence? I've never managed to get either, and I play very aggressively.

If someone wanted to play through a good CC game and make sense of why it was good it would take quite a while. But clicking through a cool blitz game takes about a minute and is more like fun than work.

It might be nice if there was a thread for everyone to post their blitz games in though, that way we wouldn't need to make a new thread for each one.
  10. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 01:40
    ......Whoever gave the two rec's should be ashamed of yourselves....
    .... thats' "whom ever" you illiterate and I also rec'd it because I agree with the OP's point and to just simply piss you off for your negativity.

skeets
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 01:55
    Originally posted by skeeter
    .... thats' "whom ever" you illiterate and I also rec'd it because I agree with the OP's point [b]and to just simply piss you off for your negativity.

skeets[/b]
    Well if Skeeter approves, it must be ok....
  12. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 01:561 edit
    Originally posted by skeeter
    I'm sorry about the grammatical error.

It's nice to meet you too, by the way!
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 01:561 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well if Skeeter approves, it must be ok....
    i dont think Paul from fics actually cares enough to let it 'piss him off', i am quite sure he has better things to do with his time, his post was quality!
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 02:24
    I'm sorry about the grammatical error.

It's nice to meet you too, by the way!
    Nice meeting you too! I hope you understand Skeeter is not even close to being my friend, thus the bit of sarcasm.
  15. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 02:25
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Nice meeting you too! I hope you understand Skeeter is not even close to being my friend, thus the bit of sarcasm.
    I meant to reply to skeeter, not you. I'm sorry about that.
    It is nice to meet you though.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree