1. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    25 Sep '10 14:481 edit
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    Dude, RHP is a great site. People who post here are not only lame self-flattering chess wannabes, but also decent and supportive human individuals in their free time.

So, with that in mind, please tell us what is bothering you so much that you have to find relief in behaving like a complete social imbecile ? Is it a fungus on your left leg ? Is it a fact ...[text shortened]... ? What is your REAL problem ?

Just ask for help when you feel lost, ok ?

Have a nice day.
    if you guys could stop being so overly sensitive for a second, you'd realize the point is not whether divgradcurl is being impolite or not. stop obsessing about the personal, it's irrelevant.

there simply is a better way to post blitz games, a way that would make the threads interesting and even informative, and hence improve the chess forum. it would take a minute effort from the posters, and I personally guarantee that effort will make even their own forum experience much more rewarding.
  2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    25 Sep '10 15:07
    Originally posted by wormwood
    if you guys could stop being so overly sensitive for a second, you'd realize the point is not whether divgradcurl is being impolite or not. [b]stop obsessing about the personal, it's irrelevant.

there simply is a better way to post blitz games, a way that would make the threads interesting and even informative, and hence improve the chess forum. it w ...[text shortened]... ersonally guarantee that effort will make even their own forum experience much more rewarding.[/b]
    I think I can make the case that it is NOT irrelevant.

If he had been more socially competent in making his post, none of this garbage would have happened. People would have just said "Good point!", and we'd have better quality blitz posts.

The title of the thread above makes my point exactly. He indicates that the games are lame, and no one cares, so why should anyone bother posting?

Your original post was different, and spot on, and he tried to backtrack by clinging to it, with only marginal success.

Bottom line, if his message really was what you think it was, he failed miserably in sharing it because of his delivery. Since the delivery was the cause of his failure, it's fair game to address.

And since he has indicated that he does not care, I don't have much hope about future posts, but he has also had some good ones, so the jury's still out.

Paul
  3. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    25 Sep '10 16:58
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett

...he failed miserably in sharing it because of his delivery. Since the delivery was the cause of his failure, it's fair game to address.
    his delivery only mirrors the frustration such annoying and inconsiderate thing as filling a forum with self-serving crap threads provoke. most of us just hold it in, but that's not gonna change anything. most people get the point without being told, some people have to be told, and some need to be told a little harshly.
  4. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    25 Sep '10 17:31
    Look, this really isn't that hard.

Of the current threads in the chess forum, about 1/3 of them are about blitz games. The people who have said the posters have every right to post them are right, but frankly I find it a bit annoying when there are so many threads about the same thing.

Blitz chess is different in that two move tricks and completely unsound attacks are considered more impressive than well thought out, long range plans and such that come about in "real" games. As some people have pointed out, if players actually add analysis and such, as Paulbuchmanfromfics does at times, I have no problem with it, and such posts are entertaining and educating. It's just that a lot of people post blitz games just so a few people say "nice attack" or equivalent, and they get the warm fuzzy feeling inside, thinking they did something nice. If anyone is interested, I can give you a list of 100 such threads.

Since there is currently a thread called "RHP Blitz," I don't see why people don't just post in it. The fact that 90% of the posts in that thread get no response whatsoever tells me that probably no one even looks through the games, most certainly nobody cares. So unless your game is special in some way, and doesn't just feature you slaughtering someone 500 points below you or finding a one move fork, I suggest you keep the games to yourself. Again, I can't make you do so, it's just a suggestion.

It's a bit similar to the people who come and post "my opponent cursed me out for clicking a skull how immature" and hope for a bunch of people to come and agree. If there is nothing new to add to the topic, don't bother. It's also similar to the non subs who have been here for years, asking the same questions over and over, and ignoring the advice they are given.

I'll add that I myself have been guilty of creating threads for my blitz games in the past, so I'm also at fault. However, in the future, let's try to avoid it 🙂
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Sep '10 17:40
    Snobs
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    26 Sep '10 04:53
    Originally posted by wormwood
    his delivery only mirrors the frustration such annoying and inconsiderate thing as filling a forum with self-serving crap threads provoke. most of us just hold it in, but that's not gonna change anything. most people get the point without being told, some people have to be told, and some need to be told a little harshly.
    I see your point. I'm not sure we had reached the point where the third stage was necessary, but I certainly could be wrong about that, so I won't press it.
  7. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    26 Sep '10 08:241 edit
    Originally posted by DivGradCurl
    Sorry if I offended your delicate sensibilities. Next time I say something controversial I will intersperse my paragraphs with links to kittens.
    1 - I loved your handle.
    2 - This bit I'm quoting here is something I wish I had written. I'm not saying I agree with you, though, I'm just saying that it was hella funny.
  8. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    26 Sep '10 11:48
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    1 - I loved your handle.
    math geek! 🙂
  9. timed out again
    Moves
    26 Sep '10 13:08
    This is a meaningless topic by people who need to look up what "Only Chess" means. I would recommend a few of the posters here get checked out by a shrink, and if you want to be taken seriously, post your drug-test results before you start a topic like this.
  10. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    26 Sep '10 14:32
    Coming from the guy who went on a rage a week ago attacking anyone who didn't worship blitz- it means little.
  11. timed out again
    Moves
    26 Sep '10 15:46
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    Coming from the guy who went on a rage a week ago attacking anyone who didn't worship blitz- it means little.
    You need to book grammar 101 because you evidently have problems understanding written English. This diarrhoea is the same nonsense that surfaced last week. Get a small kid to tell you what "Only Chess" means, not "Only CC Chess".
  12. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    26 Sep '10 17:39
    1) that wouldn't be grammar.
    2) Spelling and punctuation are my weaknesses as I don't proofread my posts. Then again based on your post, neither do you.
    3) It's not a question about CC vs Blitz is about your lack of ettiquette when you nerd raged on GP and other posters- exactly in the manner that has made Divgrad so popular.
    4) In both cases a small modicum of respect would go a long way.
  13. timed out again
    Moves
    26 Sep '10 18:02
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    1) that wouldn't be grammar.
    Grammar is the set of structural rules that govern the composition of sentences, phrases, and words in any given natural language. So when I have "Only Chess" and some dude doesn't understand what they mean together its time to take grammar lessons.
  14. e4
    Moves
    26 Sep '10 19:19
    It states on the Forum List Page.

Chess Forum: Chess related matters only please.

Yet Enrico posts.

"Grammar is the set of structural rules that govern the composition of sentences..."

Sorry Enrico, sentence structuring may indeed be very interesting to your
    good self but it is against the rules to discuss it in a Chess Only Forum?

Please try to stay on topic.

Do you Blitz Games like or not you. 😉
  15. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    26 Sep '10 21:53
    Originally posted by enrico20
    Grammar is the set of structural rules that govern the composition of sentences, phrases, and words in any given natural language. So when I have "Only Chess" and some dude doesn't understand what they mean together its time to take grammar lessons.
    So where does "only chess" fit in as a grammar issue exactly? Is it syntax or morphology? My thinking is it is an issue of semantics which would be Lingustics not grammar. But I could be wrong.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree