1. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 02:27
    Originally posted by skeeter
    ....[b]and to just simply piss you off for your negativity.

skeets[/b]
    When something like the original post happens, it's upsetting. I just can't see saying something that would hurt someone or shy them away from posting in the forums just because you don't want to read it.
    They didn't twist anybody's arm and make them read it.
    Why chase players away, with nothing to gain?

Rec's of the post just encourage that kind of behavior.
    No one is better than anyone else. No one has the right to tell any other person what they can or can not say in these forums.

Negativity and mean spirit is always rec'd and embraced in these forums.
    The rec page is almost always filled with one person saying something nasty to another person.

Take you for instance. You made a point to mention that the rec was specifically designed to "piss me off". Why?

Let's look a little closer.
    Cutting me down was easy.
    When was the last time you posted something helpful?
    Where are your annotated games with instructional value?
    (I have not looked at your forum posts, so this may blow up in my face. I don't recall anything though.}
    At least, these guys are making some kind of effort to promote chess in the forum.

It's a lot easier to sit back and criticize than to actually do something helpful.
  2. Joined
    03 Apr '10
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 02:28
    I don't know how serious skeeter's post was, but I lold at paul's reply ^_^

anyway, while we're nitpicking, let's take a grammar-minded look at skeeter's post

thats' "whom ever" you illiterate and I also rec'd it because I agree with the OP's point and to just simply piss you off for your negativity.

thats' should be that's

"whom ever" should be "whomever"

"you illiterate and I also rec'd it" should be "you illiterate; and I also rec'd it" or maybe "you illiterate. I also rec'd it"

"agree with the OP's point and" should be "agree with the OP's point, and"

"to just simply piss you off for your negativity." should be either "to simply piss you off" or "to just piss you off", having both there is redundant.

Fitting 5 errors into a sentence where you criticize someone else's grammar is pretty impressive 😛
  3. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 03:52
    oh geez.

When I started out, I was told to play blitz, I regret that advice immensely.

For every benefit of "seeing positions" or testing openings etc. I missed out on really knowing positions, learning pawn structures and developing the ability to hold multiple branch calculation in my head to find strong moves.

Blitz is fun sure. But if anything I believe it is more useful for strong developed players.
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 06:52
    Originally posted by DivGradCurl
    Why is the forum being flooded by blitz games?

There's never anything to learn from them. No commentary is every given and no suggestions are ever made. If you got a smothered mate on FICS 5/0 playing against ErodeTheMoon I really couldn't care less.

People need to start posting real games that they put effort into. The point of posting games shoul ...[text shortened]... ent game for analysis was no1marauder's NYS Championship topic and that was like 2 weeks ago.
    Here's a vote to keep the blitz games coming. There's plenty of room for serious analysis of slow games. It's not like the chess forum is overflowing with content every day. 🙄
  5. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 08:20
    http://tinyurl.com/2u2jpk

http://tinyurl.com/4oh4rl
    Ahhhh, cute.

However, I am going to ruin that mental image now by referring to Thread 133205. See skeeter's post about half way down.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 10:36
    .... thats' "whom ever" you illiterate and I also rec'd it because I agree with the OP's point [b]and to just simply piss you off for your negativity.

skeets[/b]
    "Whoever" in the original post is correct as it is the SUBJECT of the clause. "Whomever" would be used for the OBJECT of the clause.
    e.g. Whomever gets corrected by Skeeter should ignore him.

btw: I expect paul knows he is correct but he is more polite than either you or I.
  7. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 11:30
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Here's a vote to keep the blitz games coming. There's plenty of room for serious analysis of slow games. It's not like the chess forum is overflowing with content every day. 🙄
    I rec'd this.

I personally don't care about blitz games that much, especially games from other online sites, but it's obvious many people do, and a chess forum is a reasonable and obvious place to share them. It is at least a compliment to the RHP community that people will play blitz elsewhere, but want to post here.

I think SG's point is the most cogent- it probably seems like the forum is overflowing with blitz games because it has been lacking in other content.

I would say at this point the burden is on those who are uninterested in blitz games to come up with alternative content. Myself included, of course.
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 11:46
    Why is the forum being flooded by blitz games?

People need to start posting real games that they put effort into.
    Feel free to do so yourself. It's easy to stand on the sidelines, kvetching, isn't it? A bit harder to swallow your own medicine, though.

Richard
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 11:48
    .... thats' "whom ever" you illiterate and I also rec'd it because I agree with the OP's point [b]and to just simply piss you off for your negativity.

skeets[/b]
    *Bzzzzt* Entirely wrong. "Whomever" is for dative and accusative. This was a nominative, ergo "whoever".

Richard
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 12:38
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    *Bzzzzt* Entirely wrong. "Whomever" is for dative and accusative. This was a nominative, ergo "whoever".

Richard
    Beat yer to it! 😉
  11. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 13:42
    Can we have more piccies of kittens now please
  12. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 15:14
    Originally posted by Habeascorp
    http://tinyurl.com/6vpd32
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 16:132 edits
    Originally posted by Habeascorp
    Sure: http://cellar.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=23675&d=1244104384

You could grow a whole range of those and build a chess set out of them.

Richard
  14. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 16:49
    if the "hey look at me, I won a blitz game" threads had a 10th of the discussion here, they'd be perfectly fine. but they seldom have. and when the opening post doesn't even try to write a single thought down, the responses are practically guaranteed to have absolutely zero content.

so, when you post a blitz game, PLEASE do try to write something down. surely you had some reason to post the game in the first place, so how about telling usd what it was? start a discussion, give your point of view to get the ball rolling. it doesn't even have to be correct, no shame in being wrong about something. in fact, being wrong is what usually brings forth the most interesting and informative discussions.

but if you just really really want to scream to the world that you've played a game of chess, and have nothing else to offer, PLEASE post the games in a single thread at least. like, say, the one that already has hundreds of such games posted. I know it's just cyberspace, but there's still no reason to litter and make yourself look like a twat.
  15. e4
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 23:50
    I posted a few weeks ago if I see another blitz (from another site)
    I'll scream.

Nothing against Blitz games (prefer them to come from here - explain later).

Scream was because nothing doing on forum for me to get teeth into
    and being a confessed forum hound this was just frustration.

Not much you can say about a blitz game and so after after a few "good game"
    comments that's it. But so be it.

What happens is another lad posts his latest win, so another player post
    his game etc. and that is why you tend them coming around in 5's of 6'.
    complete with two or three "good game".

But it is a chess forum and all's fair....except chess poems. I hate chess poems.
    (bet there will be a whole bucket load appearing now) 😉

As Mad Rook says you can stay away if you have seen one too many.

Prefer games on here.
    If the game was played on here you do sometimes get the other half coming
    back with a comment and posting a 'revenge game' and the banter starts.

Also if lad has played a blitz trap I like to poke aorund players games
    to see iof he has tried the trap in a 'normal' game or indeed fell for
    the trap and has adopted it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree