no title

no title

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D

Moves
20 Apr 07
1 edit

What got you interested in chess and how long have you been playing?

Just wanted to get a feel for the range of skill levels that play here and maybe get to know people a bit better.

I learned the basics in my late teens. A good friend of mine was in the chess club and constantly asking for me to play against him for the practice. Needless to say he always won. Once we moved up and on to Uni I never really did pick it up again after that until just recently when finding this site.

From what I see most people here have extensive knowledge and background in OTB and tournaments and such. What's the appeal for you? What does chess do for you in your life?

Edit-oops forgot to add a title!

b
Best Loser

Traxler is Sound!

Moves
20 Apr 07
1 edit

I'm currently 15 years old, I've been playing since I was 8, though only seriously in the last 6 months.

Fritz and Chessmaster rate me as an 1800 player, which is why my RHP rating bugs me so much.

I've only played in one tournament, it was my highschool championships and I won undefeated.

I enjoy chess because of the challenge. A constant push for an unatainable perfection.

D

Moves
20 Apr 07

Originally posted by ih8sens
I'm currently 15 years old, I've been playing since I was 8, though only seriously in the last 6 months.

Fritz and Chessmaster rate me as an 1800 player, which is why my RHP rating bugs me so much.

I've only played in one tournament, it was my highschool championships and I won undefeated.

I enjoy chess because of the challenge. A constant push for an unatainable perfection.
I'm really surprised to see so many young people drawn to chess. With todays video games and various distractions I find it encouraging to see that somthing as simple yet challenging still attracting attention with a young generation.

8 yrs old is very young to start playing! Was it your parents that introduced you to chess?

a

Moves
20 Apr 07

I started at 17 and a half. =.=

So...about one year of play.

Pretty much self-taught right now. X.x

Why I play?

Well.....

I want to become very good at it. Perhaps eventually receiving a certificate to honor my skill, I want to be successful at chess, because in my mind, Mastering Chess is a very noble and honorable thing.

Plus I could show-off to everyone, "In your face!" "Hahahaha!" "MATE IN 6."

As they stare on, blank as a new sheet of paper.

"Dude you're such a nerd."

-.-

Of course not everyone see's chess the way I do.

D

Moves
20 Apr 07

Originally posted by azalin76
I started at 17 and a half. =.=

So...about one year of play.

Pretty much self-taught right now. X.x

Why I play?

Well.....

I want to become very good at it. Perhaps eventually receiving a certificate to honor my skill, I want to be successful at chess, because in my mind, Mastering Chess is a very noble and honorable thing.

Plus I could sho ...[text shortened]...
"Dude you're such a nerd."

-.-

Of course not everyone see's chess the way I do.
Noble and honorable. I like that. 🙂 It's a good way to view chess.

I think I like the battle field idea. I remember playing a 3D game of chess one time on a friends computer. Every move you made a capture played out a little battle scene complete with blood and mutilation and everything.

HAd forgotten all about that game. Wish I could remember what it was.

MR

Moves
20 Apr 07

Originally posted by Dudermooner
Noble and honorable. I like that. 🙂 It's a good way to view chess.

I think I like the battle field idea. I remember playing a 3D game of chess one time on a friends computer. Every move you made a capture played out a little battle scene complete with blood and mutilation and everything.

HAd forgotten all about that game. Wish I could remember what it was.
Although I've never played it, it sounds like it might have been Battle Chess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Chess

And apparently it's considered to be abandonware and can be downloaded here -

http://www.abandonia.com/games/308/BattleChessforWindows

z

Moves
20 Apr 07

I learned when I was 6, beat my Dad when I was 8 but didn't play a serious game until I was 16. I played seriously until I graduated high school then quit again until I was 24. I have been playing for seriously for about 2 and a half years now.

C

EDMONTON ALBERTA

Moves
20 Apr 07

I started playing seriously about the same time I joined this site. I was drawn to it because it intruiged me. I had been introduced to it initially in grade 5 but never got into it. Now I am 22 and I have slowly amassed a repitoir and a knowledge of tactics, positional play and endgames.

When I first started here (sept 30, 2005) I really didn't know anything beyond how the pieces moved.

Now that I am versed in the intricacies of the game I am joining my local chess club to begin my OTB carreer... which I am thinking will be fun!

The main reason I enjoy the game is because there is always something new to learn and it keeps my mind alert... I have an office job, it is tedious and time consuming and without chess (or something just as mentally stimulating) my mind would not be as sharp as it is.

A

Moves
20 Apr 07

I learned the basic moves and object of the game when I was 4. Around 12, I learned my first opening and started studying basic tactics. I played in my first OTB tourney at 15, and I continued to play in them for the next three years with some modest success. I got out of Chess at about 19, for my priorities were a bit twisted, as they are want to do at that age. I got back at it at 22 with s couple correspondence tournaments and a trip to the U.S. G/60 in New Orleans (great experience). Out of six rounds I managed a win and three draws against some stiff competition. I played a bit locally for the next year or so, and then took another break from competition play. I am now 27, and I just got back into the USCF late last year.

As for why I play...many reasons. There was a young IM who I read recently as stating, "I can see Chess as something someone can seriously devote their lives to." I love the richness of it. The way that you will never play the exact same game twice. I love the challenge of attempting to master the game. Or, as one could say, to master yourself. There is a great sense of accomplishment that comes from a hard fought victory, and it teaches to take responsibility for your own choices. There are so many metaphors between Chess and Life, that many of us hard core players in fact relate everyday events with Chess moves. Sad huh? lol. But seriously...

a

Moves
20 Apr 07

I just hope someday i'll get over 1300. =.=

Then 1400....

Then 1500...

Then 2300...

o_o

b
Best Loser

Traxler is Sound!

Moves
20 Apr 07

Originally posted by Dudermooner
I'm really surprised to see so many young people drawn to chess. With todays video games and various distractions I find it encouraging to see that somthing as simple yet challenging still attracting attention with a young generation.

8 yrs old is very young to start playing! Was it your parents that introduced you to chess?
My grandpa used to be a really really good player. He never studied chess the way modern players do, but was he ever good. He's part french, so it was pretty funny when I told him his favourite opening was called the english last month.

He taught me.

A

Moves
20 Apr 07

My grandpa used to be a really really good player. He never studied chess the way modern players do, but was he ever good. He's part french, so it was pretty funny when I told him his favourite opening was called the english last month.

He taught me.
My Mother's ex-husband taught me. My Grandfather called it Chest.

a

Moves
20 Apr 07

I'm planning on attending lectures from IM Unrue in my area, competing in OTB tournaments again.

Tournaments....the evironment....it's the greatest thing I have ever experienced in my short life.

Unfortunately, my otb rating when I left it was like 866. 🙄

So i'm a sandbagger. >.<

Ooh better make a thread, gotta question needs answering. @.@

C

EDMONTON ALBERTA

Moves
20 Apr 07

I am surprised you are so young! well... in all honesty, I guess its not all that uncommon. So, you won a highschool championship? that is great! are you in highschool? they must have bumped you ahead a few grades?

S

Moves
20 Apr 07

I learned from my dad when I was 7 or 8 I suppose.

I had a few private lessons when I was 10 or so, but I decided it wasn't for me & maybe only played 100 games in the next 20+ years!

A friend of mine User 144116 convinced me to join on this site (I had beaten him 4-0 the last time we played OTB!) & after a very rusty start that included late night playing combined with quaffing copious amounts of red wine, I finally decided to take it seriously.

Over the next few weeks I then:
1) decided on a repertoire that suited my style - King's Gambit, Morra Gambit, Fried Liver as white, Sicilian, 1...e5 or Dutch as black
2) stopped playing whilst half-pissed
3) bought books on my chosen openings & studied Sierawan's Winning Chess series, especially the tactics one.

Although my rating seems to have settled now, to between 1500 & 1600, I'm enjoying my chess & also playing people on this site & trying to help out when I can & contribute in the forums.