1. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    20 Apr '11 21:52
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    everyone knows black is in trouble after 9. 0-0-0 or 9 Bc4.
    as if! 😀
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    20 Apr '11 22:52
    Somehow I don't think Rob is quite ready for the Sicilian.
  3. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    20 Apr '11 23:26
    Originally posted by Eladar
    at the very least it's not the opening you go to if you want to avoid learning a colossal amount of theory.
  4. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    20 Apr '11 23:281 edit
    This is a fairly good, simple guide to quite a few openings:

http://www.eudesign.com/chessops/
  5. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    20 Apr '11 23:311 edit
    what do you play against 1.e4
    I used to play 1..e5, but I got a bit bored and nowadays try 1..c5 quite often, not necessarily with more actual success though, but quite often exciting games result. Here's one where it worked:

Game 7913917
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 05:45
    Originally posted by Eladar
    in the case of the dragon black accepts a weak d5 and a slightly inferior pawn structure
    in the hope that his dragon bishop shall prevail, strategy in the dragon is not so
    complicated, its the tactics that arise that can be the killer!
  7. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 09:44
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    I used to play 1..e5, but I got a bit bored and nowadays try 1..c5 quite often, not necessarily with more actual success though, but quite often exciting games result. Here's one where it worked:

Game 7913917
    crazy game, full of crazy positions. i like 29. .. Nc5, blocking check and giving check...

i can also just support .. c5 against e4, it seems full of fun stuff.
  8. Joined
    04 Jul '10
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 10:42
    you can play Gruenfeld setup with black against almost any of white's moves i.e. (apart from again d4 leading to the "normal" Gruenfeld) against Reti-structure(Nf3, d3, c4/e4), dutch structure (f4, g3, Bg2), even e4 altho only the Alekhine and teh Scandinavian express the same provocative nature of the Gruenfeld.
  9. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 14:58
    in the case of the dragon black accepts a weak d5 and a slightly inferior pawn structure
    in the hope that his dragon bishop shall prevail, strategy in the dragon is not so
    complicated, its the tactics that arise that can be the killer!
    white's the one with crap pawn structure in dragon. the second he pushes his kingside pawns, black has a strong ending, often even with an exchange sac. after that white's only chance of survival is to mate first.

if white's not willing to give that pawn structure advantage, he has no play. and when you have no play in dragon (on either side), you get mated. quickly.
  10. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 16:00
    Originally posted by wormwood
    white's the one with crap pawn structure in dragon. the second he pushes his kingside pawns, black has a strong ending, often even with an exchange sac. after that white's only chance of survival is to mate first.

if white's not willing to give that pawn structure advantage, he has no play. and when you have no play in dragon (on either side), you get mated. quickly.
    Rec'd. Anyone thinking of learning the Dragon can skip the intro to any book now (unless there are annotated sample games), as you read it here first!
  11. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 16:34
    Agree with WW. Although as they say, before the ending is the middlegame. 🙂
  12. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 17:10
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    Agree with WW. Although as they say, before the ending is the middlegame. 🙂
    "before the endgame, the gods have placed middlegame." 🙂
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 17:41
    Originally posted by wormwood
    "before the endgame, the gods have placed middlegame." 🙂
    sorry i dont see how white pawn structure is crappier than blacks,
    perhaps a diagram shall suffice,

14. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 18:03
    Robbie- The problem with your diagram is that no game would ever reach this position.

requisite position from my only OTB Dragon vs FM Gregory Young (when we were both sub 1800)
  15. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 18:332 edits
    sorry i dont see how white pawn structure is crappier than blacks,
    perhaps a diagram shall suffice,
    in your diagram, white hasn't moved his kingside pawns. which means he's not trying to mate black. which in turn means black IS mating white.

THIS is the reality:

or this:

and after white makes those concessions, BOOM, Rxc3 bxc3. how do you like your pawn ending now, even up an exchange? (you're also a pawn down usually).

it's an opposite sides castling situation. white doesn't have the TIME to sit back and wait it out. and to get his own attack going, he absolutely MUST push his h, g or/and f pawn. which immediately turns his kingside pawns into a swiss cheese, to be hungrily gobbled by ravenous black knights, IF the game reaches endgame. after which the superior black pawns will steamroll white kingside with a devasting force. in some lines even being a rook up isn't enough to stop those pawns.

of course there are exceptions. but this is the general truth, the underlying problem for white.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree