1. Joined
    06 Apr '11
    Moves
    19 Apr '11 16:48
    As I'm learning new openings and ideas at the moment. As black, are there openings which have a similar structure and idea behind them so they can be used (in principle) for most white openings, without having to learn 2 completely difierent systems.
  2. gumtree
    Moves
    19 Apr '11 16:53
    Originally posted by rob39
    As I'm learning new openings and ideas at the moment. As black, are there openings which have a similar structure and idea behind them so they can be used (in principle) for most white openings, without having to learn 2 completely difierent systems.
    Slav and Caro-Kann (pawn on c6) are often quoted as being similar. French and Nimzo-Indian/Queen's Indian often look similar (pawn on e6 etc). King's Indian and Pirc/Modern are even more similar. If you play King's Indian and Pirc then you can use the same moves as white in a King's Indian Attack although you should only do that if you are happy fighting for equality as white.
  3. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    19 Apr '11 17:03
    I wouldn't fall into playing the 1... b6 d6 or g6 type openings to cut down the workload. It's better (imo) to stick to 1.e4 e5 and 1.d4 d5 and build yourself up from that. Specifically-

1.e4 e5 nf3 nc6 and if a Ruy Lopez than play the open variation if given the chance
    vs 3. Bc4 Italian game play Bc5
    vs 4 knights play Bb4.
    vs the King's Gambit take the pawn!

now vs 1.d4 I think the Tarrasch is the way to go. More active play, learn IQP positions and dynamic. (1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.nc3 c5)
    alternately the Tartakower is another good choice but it is a bit more passive.

vs c4 play e5 King's English
    vs 1.nf3 play d5 aiming for your queen pawn setups.

when facing offbeat stuff ala b3 focus on a strong center with e5 etc. and good opening principles should be fine.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Apr '11 18:31
    What do you play as white?
  5. Joined
    06 Apr '11
    Moves
    20 Apr '11 08:51
    At the moment I have 2 creepy crawley openings with white, then after nimzo5 advice I now have 2 bishop's openings on the go. With black I currently have 2 creepy crawley's.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    20 Apr '11 16:39
    Nothing wrong with 1.e4 e5

In response to 2.Nf3 I liked to play Nf6. There are a couple of traps you can fall into. Just play d6 if white takes your pawn with Nxe5, then you can recapture with Nxe4 after white retreats his knight. If you don't do this, then white can pin your knight with his queen, then take it with his pawn in a couple of moves. There's also a checkmate trap that you avoid by playing d6 after he takes your e pawn.
  7. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    20 Apr '11 17:481 edit
    Originally posted by rob39
    I play 1.f4 as a reversed leningrad as white, and 1...f5 normal leningrad as black against everything but 1.e4. one size fits all.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Apr '11 18:45
    Originally posted by wormwood
    I play 1.f4 as a reversed leningrad as white, and 1...f5 normal leningrad as black against everything but 1.e4. one size fits all.
    what do you play against 1.e4
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    20 Apr '11 18:481 edit
    Leave it to Wormwood to give people the Bird.
  10. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    20 Apr '11 19:041 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    what do you play against 1.e4
    dragon if they let me. but they never do. then just normal book lines against the anti-sicilians. except morra I always take, then e6-Ne7-Ng6 and watch them self destruct.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Apr '11 19:261 edit
    Originally posted by wormwood
    dragon if they let me. but they never do. then just normal book lines against the anti-sicilians. except morra I always take, then e6-Ne7-Ng6 and watch them self destruct.
    ah yes i forgot you was a dragon king, how honourable. I bow. One of the best
    section, in fact i think it is the best section from the book Experts v the Sicilian is the
    section of the dragon, written by Mikhail Golubev, worth the price of the book alone
    that section. Its interesting as he is an avid dragon player himself both as black and
    white and he provides the lines that he thinks are best. why would anyone want to
    stop you playing the dragon? everyone knows black is in trouble after 9. 0-0-0 or 9 Bc4.
  12. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    20 Apr '11 20:02
    If you are going to play the sicilian and you are under 2000 you might as well spend all your opening prep time working on beating every permutation of the alapin/smith morra because that is what you will see.

Then the GPA is next...
  13. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    20 Apr '11 20:15
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    If you are going to play the sicilian and you are under 2000 you might as well spend all your opening prep time working on beating every permutation of the alapin/smith morra because that is what you will see.

Then the GPA is next...
    In Florida USA the Closed Sicilian is the main line, and everything else is a side note.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Apr '11 20:21

Then the GPA is next...
    interesting i usually play the Sicilian and i dont think i have faced either one of them.
  15. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    20 Apr '11 21:50

Then the GPA is next...
    very true. and the few brave who'll risk allowing dragon, will go for 9.o-o-o.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree