1. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    02 Dec '09 05:05
    Originally posted by AudreyxSophie
    Playing the king gambit, and avoiding the form is the same, if you want something with f4, play ... b6 and ... e6, you can also trown f5 later, or sooner. The true weakness of having^pushing such a pawn, prive white from the move f3, pawn do no go backward.
    what kind of bird do you play against a more typical black setup? basically-what is your ideal bird game?
  2. Joined
    11 Jul '09
    Moves
    02 Dec '09 05:35
    I like, the gambit after 1.f4 d5 2.Nf3 c5 3.c4 d4 4.b4... Which I call by my name, my invention.

and the inverse leningrad....

Plyaing it with a pawn at e3 and a bishop at b2 is fine too.

But I play like the dutch after d5, king gambit after e5, Stone wall or classical oafter f5... and leningrad after c5 and nearly everything else, I acceot the g5- gambit.
  3. Joined
    04 May '05
    Moves
    02 Dec '09 20:41
    Originally posted by dirtysniper
    In an effort to learn something new, what opening or openings, best develop the Rooks. The quickest and most productive way to get them into action and make use of them as more then a defender.
    I invented a new gambit in the Kadas Opening just for this purpose some time ago. I call it the Rook Lift Gambit:

1.h4 e5 2. Rh3 d5 3.Rg3 (Diagram)

I know it looks stupid, but you asked 🙂

BTW - Microsoft's Chess Titans (Level 10), falls straight into the trap:
    3...Qxh4 4.Nf3 Qe7 5.Nxe5 Nd7 6.d4 Nxe5 7.dxe5 Qxe5 8.Re3 +-

regards, Paul
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 14:431 edit
    hi, is this a known Gambit? Is it even playable? it struck me that it may
    perhaps be possible to play a reversed Froms against the English, any
    thought would be appreciated.

1.c4 d5 2.cxd5 e6 3.dxe6 Bxe6
  5. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 17:41
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie

[fen]rn1qkbnr/ppp2ppp/4b3/8/8/8/PP1PPPPP/RNBQKBNR w KQkq - 0 4[/fen]

without the early king threats I think white could just choose a decent setup.
  6. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 17:47

[fen]rn1qkbnr/ppp2ppp/4b3/8/8/8/PP1PPPPP/RNBQKBNR w KQkq - 0 4[/fen]

another problem would be that this one would just transpose 1.c4 d5 2.d4 about 10 times more often than the froms. but either way its worth a try.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 18:58
    Originally posted by irontigran
    another problem would be that this one would just transpose 1.c4 d5 2.d4 about 10 times more often than the froms. but either way its worth a try.
    ah yes, buy then we simply get into the Albin counter gambit after it transposes after 1.c4 d5, 2.d4 e5!! , another juicy gambit, played at major tournaments by none other than alexander morozevich, peace be upon him!
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 19:021 edit
    without the early king threats I think white could just choose a decent setup.
    ah yes but we are getting quick development of every thing, knight are coming very quickly to the centre, as are the bishops, castling is easy, likely hood is that white shall be unprepared and totally out of book. i admit it does not look very good, bishop seems somehow misplaced on e6, there must be something extremely sharp against the English, what about 1.c4 b5? or instead of offer another gambited pawn, we could simply play ...Nf6 in a kind of reversed Scandinavian gambit!
  9. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 19:34
    ah yes but we are getting quick development of every thing, knight are coming very quickly to the centre, as are the bishops, castling is easy, likely hood is that white shall be unprepared and totally out of book. i admit it does not look very good, bishop seems somehow misplaced on e6, there must be something extremely sharp against the English, w ...[text shortened]... er another gambited pawn, we could simply play ...Nf6 in a kind of reversed Scandinavian gambit!
    if its to get the out of book and to get some activity then Id say yes it would work. I mean not many English players are going to know anything about the froms gambit so Id guess it would be confusing for them. It would be better than 1.c4 b5 IMO. I mean look how disappointing the sicilian wing gambit is. 1.e4 c5 2.b4.. thats a tempi up from 1.c4 b5 and it still doesnt do that well.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 19:46
    if its to get the out of book and to get some activity then Id say yes it would work. I mean not many English players are going to know anything about the froms gambit so Id guess it would be confusing for them. It would be better than 1.c4 b5 IMO. I mean look how disappointing the sicilian wing gambit is. 1.e4 c5 2.b4.. thats a tempi up from 1.c4 b5 and it still doesnt do that well.
    yes my friend you are correct. my main concern is, that we do not get bogged down in those type of games where pawns a strewn the length of the board and there is no room to move, i hate those games, i need freedom for my pieces, primarily because, i dont know how to use pawns, have hardly any positional understanding, know no theory, know nothing of endgames, and even less about the English opening past move 1.c4 i am playing a game at the moment against 1700+ rated player and i know that he knows zillions more about this than me, i can just tell. Is 1.c4 d5 a known move? obviously white dont have to take the pawn, and i have in the past played the symmetrical variation, 1.c4 c5, and fianchettoing the bishop, but i want something ultra sharp! you must try to help me Tigran, we shall invent a gambit the the irontigran- carrobie Gambit!
  11. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 19:54
    yes my friend you are correct. my main concern is, that we do not get bogged down in those type of games where pawns a strewn the length of the board and there is no room to move, i hate those games, i need freedom for my pieces, primarily because, i dont know how to use pawns, have hardly any positional understanding, know no theory, know nothing o ...[text shortened]... ! you must try to help me Tigran, we shall invent a gambit the the irontigran- carrobie Gambit!
    yeah I think 1.c4 d5 is well known. the average 1.c4 player probably started out with the QG for years so theyd not take on d4 Im thinking. maybe theres a way to force the gambit

1.c4 d5 2.d4 Nf6?! 3.cxd5 c6 (or e6, who knows)

ok,I will go to the drawing board and see if I cant come up with a gambit with you 🙂

as for what I do against the English is I just make it transpose to my 1.d4 defense, the Grunoni 😛
  12. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 20:08
    I looked in chesslive for (move order shouldnt matter)1.d4 d5 2.c4 Nf6 3.cxd5 e6 4.dxe6 Bxe6 and theres 50 games which nearly all of black gets killed in

and 1.d4 d5 2.c4 Nf6 3.cxd5 c6 4.dxc6 Nxc6 has 30some games which also look bad for black.. so those dont work 🙁

what do you usually play against 1.d4?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 23:04
    I looked in chesslive for (move order shouldnt matter)1.d4 d5 2.c4 Nf6 3.cxd5 e6 4.dxe6 Bxe6 and theres 50 games which nearly all of black gets killed in

and 1.d4 d5 2.c4 Nf6 3.cxd5 c6 4.dxc6 Nxc6 has 30some games which also look bad for black.. so those dont work 🙁

what do you usually play against 1.d4?
    thanks for this irontigran, normally i have played the slav, but i get into real trouble or real drawish position, if i can and my opponent permits it i shall try the Albin counter gambit or the Budapest gambit 🙂
  14. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Dec '09 00:02
    thanks for this irontigran, normally i have played the slav, but i get into real trouble or real drawish position, if i can and my opponent permits it i shall try the Albin counter gambit or the Budapest gambit 🙂
    slav? slav?? freakin slav??
    where the aggression in that? 😛😀

Id say the Budapest would be the most enjoyable of those two..

but never count out the grunoni!
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Dec '09 00:09
    slav? slav?? freakin slav??
    where the aggression in that? 😛😀

Id say the Budapest would be the most enjoyable of those two..

but never count out the grunoni!
    i know, hangs his head in shame, i heard that Anand played the Slav, so cause hes my hero i took up the Slav also, but its terrible! Its worse than the Caro Khan, and the French defence all rolled into one! ! My friend i must confess, i have only been a true Gambiteer only very recently! before that i played 1..g6, 2...Bg7, 3...c5 to everything that white played!

what is this legendary Grunoni that you speak of?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree