1. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 22:441 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    did you not see the game played by the Icelandic GM? what have you to say for yourselves now?
    nice game. havnt analyzed it yet, but very strong play.
    last 3 games(edit, not all GM but at least FM) in my database all show white winning, so I dont think its a refutation of an opening, but indeed playable.
    I never meant its horrible, just not a refutation and mainlines dont get the bang for the buck with other options available IMO.

if youd like, when I have a free slot open up I could play you in the froms
  2. Joined
    11 Jul '09
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 22:59
    I always belive the From was not sound, because of it transposing into the king gambit, whitout keeping the player unbooked.

at the falkbeef counter-gambit is not like the albin, it is dubious... more then the from,

good to play with the bird is .. f5 or ...g6 but ... f5 is my move.

But we are not in the subject, we should get back, to how developp the rooks.
  3. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 23:00
    and as for talking about strange openings that have early rook lifts, the chicago defense to the morra gambit has always been an interest of mine. black decides to stop white pressuring his queen by moving his rook to a7, then over in front of the queen if needed.

I would say to the OP-
    dont worry about lines where you get your rook in action super early- they are few and far between for a reason. Instead at the 1050 level just work on openings where you can place your pieces on the best possible squares while castling and connecting rooks. from there get them to open lines.

sure I like the bird but wouldnt recommend it at all. as white try QG or lopez, and as black just keep symmetry. 1.d4 d5 1.c4 c5 1.e4 e5 etc. this is a good base to use until your tactical powers have improved, and by then youll be able to spot pros and cons of openings and make your own evaluations
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 23:031 edit
    Lol, are you kidding, its a surprise weapon for over the board! na only kidding! when i have a space yes we can play! on the one occasion that i have had the opportunity to play the Froms on here since taking it up, my opponent initially took the gambited pawn, but declined the second one. i do not accept Audreys ideas that it is merely set up to take advantage of some cheapos on the kings diagonal, for as with all gambits, we are interested in development, easy, fast and speedy development and solving all our opening problems. if we must give up a little material, well so be it! but our other main objective is to disrupt the development of our opponent! there is so much emphasis on materialism in modern chess, perhaps because of computers, but we are humans and i think, should play like men! shhhh between you and i , i also secretly think that the falkbeer may be suspect, but im not telling Audrey that!
  5. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 23:16
    Lol, are you kidding, its a surprise weapon for over the board! na only kidding! when i have a space yes we can play! on the one occasion that i have had the opportunity to play the Froms on here since taking it up, my opponent initially took the gambited pawn, but declined the second one. i do not accept Audreys ideas that it is merely set up to ...[text shortened]... and i , i also secretly think that the falkbeer may be suspect, but im not telling Audrey that!
    if I recall there are some nasty tricks if the second pawn is refused. If I can only remember they are now 😕

If my opponent plays 1.f4 f5? I always hit him with 2.e4! (froms with a tempi, very powerful!)

I love gambits as well, I will play any gambit just confuse the old, weakminded OTB oponents 😉 dont think I have any in the repertoire right now though
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 23:271 edit
    Originally posted by irontigran
    if I recall there are some nasty tricks if the second pawn is refused. If I can only remember they are now 😕

If my opponent plays 1.f4 f5? I always hit him with 2.e4! (froms with a tempi, very powerful!)

I love gambits as well, I will play any gambit just confuse the old, weakminded OTB oponents 😉 dont think I have any in the repertoire right now though
    wow, what a cunningly genius idea! there is a lot to be said for originality in chess, in fact my favourite Scottish GM Paul Motwani, wrote a book about it, but i have as yet, not read it.

so far i have had opportunity to play, Albin, Froms, Philador counter gambit (ended up in a passive position, couldn't believe it) and hopefully soon, the Budapest. i want to play the Smith Morra as white, but because i have spent a huge amount of time on Sicilian defence as white and black, i always seem to forget. Is Smith Morra sound and good? also what about Tals gambit as black side of Sicilian, i fancy that. i have even recently tried the Englund gambit! and the Scandinavian Gambit, i was willing to play but my opponent refused and i simply retook with my knight. so many juicy gambits!
  7. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 23:39
    wow, what a cunningly genius idea! there is a lot to be said for originality in chess, in fact my favourite Scottish GM Paul Motwani, wrote a book about it, but i have as yet, not read it.

so far i have had opportunity to play, Albin, Froms, Philador counter gambit (ended up in a passive position, couldn't believe it) and hopefully soon, the Buda ...[text shortened]... ing to play but my opponent refused and i simply retook with my knight. so many juicy gambits!
    from all the gambits Ive played or even seen the Smith-Morra is by far the most natural one. Im talking natural squares for active piece placement and tons of open lines. many further sac opportunities.

I have have the book by Hannes Langrock right here and its very deep. his teacher is Karsten Muller which sold me. If youd like to see some of their starting lines I could pm them to you.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 23:46
    from all the gambits Ive played or even seen the Smith-Morra is by far the most natural one. Im talking natural squares for active piece placement and tons of open lines. many further sac opportunities.

I have have the book by Hannes Langrock right here and its very deep. his teacher is Karsten Muller which sold me. If youd like to see some of their starting lines I could pm them to you.
    if you have the time, please only if it does not impose upon your other activities, i would be much obliged - kind regards Robbie.
  9. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    02 Dec '09 00:28
    if you have the time, please only if it does not impose upon your other activities, i would be much obliged - kind regards Robbie.
    info sent
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Dec '09 01:10
    info sent
    thank you so much irontigran for your kindness! which book would you recommend upon the Morra?
  11. Joined
    11 Jul '09
    Moves
    02 Dec '09 02:09
    well, the swiss gambit is not the same thing as the from, it is a little lower, one can't answer with e5 but, the stupid pawn at f5, is in the way, and do not help to control the long a8-h1 diagonal...
    Don't get to nasty with the From, it is just a gambit that should be avoided, we have no reason to accept it. A lot life this gambit. 1 e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nd4 ( if you take the pawn, bad news for you.
  12. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    02 Dec '09 02:16
    thank you so much irontigran for your kindness! which book would you recommend upon the Morra?
    the Langrock book I believe is the best, although I havnt seen the other ones.. but Langrocks is newer compared to the other ones and has a lot of improvements from Muller. I cant remember if there is a more recent Morra book, but if there is it would be close in date to this book anyways.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Dec '09 02:41
    the Langrock book I believe is the best, although I havnt seen the other ones.. but Langrocks is newer compared to the other ones and has a lot of improvements from Muller. I cant remember if there is a more recent Morra book, but if there is it would be close in date to this book anyways.
    ok, ill check it out, thanks Irontigran 🙂
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Dec '09 02:41
    Originally posted by AudreyxSophie
    well, the swiss gambit is not the same thing as the from, it is a little lower, one can't answer with e5 but, the stupid pawn at f5, is in the way, and do not help to control the long a8-h1 diagonal...
    Don't get to nasty with the From, it is just a gambit that should be avoided, we have no reason to accept it. A lot life this gambit. 1 e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nd4 ( if you take the pawn, bad news for you.
    oh ho, now you are avoiding the From, how very interesting!
  15. Joined
    11 Jul '09
    Moves
    02 Dec '09 04:53
    Playing the king gambit, and avoiding the form is the same, if you want something with f4, play ... b6 and ... e6, you can also trown f5 later, or sooner. The true weakness of having^pushing such a pawn, prive white from the move f3, pawn do no go backward.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree