1. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 23:46
    When i started playing in tournaments, I was stunned at the cheap psych-out games people would try to play. They'd make illegal moves and punch the clock, waiting for you to figure out what the hell was wrong, etc., and then wonder what the proper response was. (Hit the clock button and start their time) There's a lot of things jerks can do that give them an improper advantage. Grabbing a piece and moving it all over the board is one of them.
  2. Standard member33moves
    4th stooge
    anytown, USA
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 23:531 edit
    Heres another thing that happens, at least with me- Do any of you, when you make a trappy move, try to distract your opponent of your intentions by looking at another part of the board right before or immediatly after you make the move, so as to (hopefully) implant the idea that your focus is elsewhere? I have done this, and have seen my oppts react- sell it by a slight squinting and concerted look, the eyes gently moving back and forth as you "calculate". I have also seen this done to me, as an opponent lays a "cheapo" threatening mate in one or two with a battery, and he looks at my queenside, or otherwise even shakes his head as though he was at a loss for a good move. Trying to sell the trap- its a classic, the "poker face" of chess. But of course, lets play good moves, I don't advise cheapos and false OTB drama. For that matter- maybe I should go to the next touney smelling and acting drunk, maybe cap it off by vomitting on the board in a losing position- top that move BEOTCH! I 'll save that one for the next child I play 😵
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 00:33
    Yes, I've done that. It demeans the game, doesn't it? Wasn't it the Spanish Bishop Ruy Lopez that recommended setting the board so that your opponent has to squint into the sun? Or giving him a big meal to make him sleepy just before the game? What a dick.
  4. Standard member33moves
    4th stooge
    anytown, USA
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 01:02
    Chess is linked to the devious human mind- when playing OTB, all of the more personal and psychological elements come into play. If you are the introspective type, you may come to learn something about yourself that you would not expect to find from a mere "game". I enjoy seeing how different people react to losing, as well as winning.
  5. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 01:58
    Originally posted by masscat
    I had this happen once in a tournament. The guy kept grabbing a piece and putting it on a square only without letting go, looking the position over, then trying another square. I asked him to stop, and he said it wasn't illegal. I got the TD who told me the same thing (rightly or wrongly, I don't know). I still insisted the guy stop because he was violating Rule 20G where he was forbidden to distract or annoy me.
    I hate when players hang their hands OTB and over the pieces when they play. It's so distracting!!! I call touch move at the beginning of every game if I can - even in casual play because people just forget touch move is an uncompromisable rule!
  6. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 02:27
    Haha Otb is so different. I do that clock thing. My opponent goes, I take my time make my move and wait, I pretend I'm thinking sometimes and if they don't notice it's their move tough. Their problem.

Every now and then I will stare at my opponent, look him in the eyes. I hate when people do that to me and try to look at the board but I do that to people now and then. Put some pressure on them.

Ah Otb is so much funner!
  7. Forgotten
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 03:406 edits
    Originally posted by ark13
    If I understand the rules correctly, you must move a piece that you touch, but your move isn't complete until you hit your clock. If this is the case, I see two ways one could use this to one's advantage.

1. You're sure you want to move a certain piece, but you're not sure where. You can put it on a prospective square to aid in your calculations. It's on your opponent into revealing their responce to your prospective move.

Is this legal?
    Once you touch a piece,you are committed to moving that piece.
    You may not move a piece and keep your hand on it then move it to another square.That is called "hand checking" and there are various penalties for it.Usually a time penalty is assessed.
    I think you are confusing touch move and clock move chess.
    In most speed games you are not bound to touch move rules as such.and your move is considered final when you clock your move.
  8. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 03:51
    Originally posted by aspviper666
    Once you touch a piece,you are committed to moving that piece.
    You may not move a piece and keep your hand on it then move it to another square.That is called "hand checking" and there are various penalties for it.Usually a time penalty is assessed.
    I think you are confusing touch move and clock move chess.
    In most speed games you are not bound to touch move rules as such.and your move is considered final when you clock your move.
    Talk about ass-backwards. The first statement is right. The rest are all wrong.
  9. Forgotten
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 04:07
    Touch Piece
    Probably the most important rule for beginners is "touch piece". This rule states that if you touch a piece, without declaring your intent to only adjust it by saying "Adjust", you are bound to move that piece. That means even if by moving it, you lose it! If you cannot move the piece legally, then you will be able to move another piece.
    If you touch an opponent's piece, you are also bound to capture it if applicable. If you are unable to capture that piece, another move may be substituted.
    Don't touch if you don't want to move it!

Hovering
    Every rated event uses a chess clock to measure time for both the players. When a player has less than five minutes remaining, this is called being in "time trouble". The player in time trouble knows he/she must move as quickly as he/she can before the game is lost. In this zeal, this player may "hover" which means have his/her hand over the pieces waiting for the second his/her opponent makes their move and presses his/her clock. This is illegal.
    Hovering is considered rude, unsportsmanlike, and is against the USCF rules. Make sure your hands are away from the board unless your clock is running. If you hover, your opponent can call the tournament director and complain. This could result in reprimand or penalties. If it's not your move, sit on your hands!
  10. Under Cover
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 04:20
    Taken from the FIDE website:

Article 4: The act of moving the pieces
    4.1 Each move must be made with one hand only.

4.2 Provided that he first expresses his intention (e.g. by saying "j`adoube" or "I adjust"😉, the player having the move may adjust one or more pieces on their squares.

4.3 Except as provided in Article 4.2, if the player having the move deliberately touches on the chessboard

one or more of his own pieces, he must move the first piece touched that can be moved, or

one or more of his opponent`s pieces, he must capture the first piece touched, which can be captured, or

one piece of each colour, he must capture the opponent`s piece with his piece or, if this is illegal, move or capture the first piece touched which can be moved or captured. If it is unclear, whether the player`s own piece or his opponent`s was touched first, the player`s own piece shall be considered to have been touched before his opponent`s.

4.4 If a player deliberately touches his king and rook he must castle on that side if it is legal to do so.

If a player deliberately touches a rook and then his king he is not allowed to castle on that side on that move and the situation shall be governed by Article 4.3(a).

If a player, intending to castle, touches the king or king and rook at the same time, but castling on that side is illegal, the player must make another legal move with his king which may include castling on the other side. If the king has no legal move, the player is free to make any legal move.

If a player promotes a pawn, the choice of the piece is finalised, when the piece has touched the square of promotion.

4.5 If none of the pieces touched can be moved or captured, the player may make any legal move.

4.6 When, as a legal move or part of a legal move, a piece has been released on a square, it cannot then be moved to another square. The move is considered to have been made when all the relevant requirements of Article 3 have been fulfilled.

in the case of a capture, when the captured piece has been removed from the chessboard and the player, having placed his own piece on its new square, has released this capturing piece from his hand;

in the case of castling, when the player`s hand has released the rook on the square previously crossed by the king. When the player has released the king from his hand, the move is not yet made, but the player no longer has the right to make any move other than castling on that side, if this is legal;

in the case of the promotion of a pawn, when the pawn has been removed from the chessboard and the player`s hand has released the new piece after placing it on the promotion square. If the player has released from his hand the pawn that has reached the promotion square, the move is not yet made, but the player no longer has the right to play the pawn to another square.

4.7 A player forfeits his right to a claim against his opponent`s violation of Article 4.3 or 4.4, once he deliberately touches a piece.
  11. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 04:52
    Originally posted by BLReid

4.2 Provided that he first expresses his intention (e.g. by saying "j`adoube" or "I adjust"😉, the player having the move may adjust one or more pieces on their squares.

4.3 Except as provided in Article 4.2, if the player havi ...[text shortened]... gainst his opponent`s violation of Article 4.3 or 4.4, once he deliberately touches a piece.
    It bugs me when people use 2 hands to castle or, move the rook first and then the king.

It's king first then rook!!!
  12. Joined
    28 Dec '05
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 05:481 edit

What about when a player captures? May they use 2 hands to make the capture? I see this a lot in OTB chess, especially in blitz, since it is quicker (I guess) to capture using 2 hands.
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 06:11
    Originally posted by o0obruceleeo0o
    What about when a player captures? May they use 2 hands to make the capture? I see this a lot in OTB chess, especially in blitz, since it is quicker (I guess) to capture using 2 hands.
    Even in blitz I capture with one hand. Why would it be easier to capture with both?
  14. Standard membercoentje
    Plop!
    /dev/null
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 06:11

4.3 Except as provided in Article 4.2, if the player havi ...[text shortened]... gainst his opponent`s violation of Article 4.3 or 4.4, once he deliberately touches a piece.
    Amen 🙂
  15. back in business
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 06:14
    Originally posted by ark13

1. You're sure you want to move a certain piece, but you're not sure where. You can put it on a prospective square to aid in your calculations.
    great. just great. you are a quite genius you know...

keep playing on RHP, please.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree