1. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 07:33
    Originally posted by ark13

(Originally posted by mtthw) Afraid not. Once you've released the piece, you cannot move it anywhere else.

But, as I understand the rules, this isn't the case.
    It is, though. Somebody else on the thread posted the laws of chess from the FIDE website - look at article 4.6.
  2. Forgotten
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 11:266 edits
    Upon arriving at the chess club here in town last night.I heard two players arguing out in the parking lot.One was visibly mad and ranting and raving about "touch move."
    "All chess is touch move.'Have you ever seen me take back a move ...ever??"The one man was saying to the other man.I later found out the irate player had lost a game(big surprise there,huh???)
    and the other player had made a move then took it back and made another move.
    The losing player should have resolved the issue OTB at the time.The whining player is a well known local ,and possibly the strongest player in town.He is about my age (40 ish) and he teaches at a high school in town and he has a chess club at the school he teaches at.
    Such outbursts and yelling are uncalled for,I would go on record to say if anyone yelled at me over a chess game , and acted uncool and ass holeish.I would knock their teeth so far down their throat,
    they would have to go to a proctologist when they developed a toothache.
  3. Standard memberJDK2
    Trainee Party Animal
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 12:14
    I will admit to having to sit on my left hand during OTB games to ensure that I used the same hand to more the pieces and hit the clock! I still find myself doing it now even on RHP where its not going to matter in the slightest.

I guess habits form when you're young.
  4. Parallel Universe
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 12:361 edit
    Originally posted by General Putzer
    When i started playing in tournaments, I was stunned at the cheap psych-out games people would try to play. They'd make illegal moves and punch the clock, waiting for you to figure out what the hell was wrong, etc., and then wonder what the proper response was. (Hit the clock button and start their time) There's a lot of things jerks can do that give them an improper advantage. Grabbing a piece and moving it all over the board is one of them.
    I was at chess club last night, and this guy kept murmuring (very softly) to himself, "Ugh. That was a terrible move I made." or "Ugh. I can't believe I just did that." What he had done was set a good trap and played very sharply. He *knew* what he had done. I didn't appreciate him trying to psych me. I fell for the first one, but none after that. Needless to say, I won't be playing him anymore, not if he's gonna resort to cheap tricks like that so he can "win". Chess is more of a social event for me, and I don't need to socialize with players like that.
  5. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 15:43
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    great. just great. you are a quite genius you know...

keep playing on RHP, please.
    What an idiot. It was a question, not something I was planning on doing. Maybe if you didn't skip the reading step in your "read, post arrogance" series, you'd make more sense.

But in light of the FIDE rules, this technique is impossible in FIDE.
  6. back in business
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 15:552 edits
    well that question is like asking "Can I move same piece twice?"...

but I indeed misunderstood your original post. my humbly apologies...
  7. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 20:25
    Originally posted by pinkthunder
    I was at chess club last night, and this guy kept murmuring (very softly) to himself, "Ugh. That was a terrible move I made." or "Ugh. I can't believe I just did that." What he had done was set a good trap and played very sharply. He *knew* what he had done. I didn't appreciate him trying to psych me. I fell for the first one, but none after that. Needle ...[text shortened]... more of a social event for me, and I don't need to socialize with players like that.
    all these posts reveal why OTB tournament chess is not popular with the masses. why spend hours playing a game with annoying opponent, whether misfit adults or juvenile. we learn that "the bad drive out the good" from academia --- the tournament environment for amateurs is filled with unsavory characters which verifies the above adage that the good leave and the bad remain. there are only a handful of tournament in the US that are pleasant to play in. The Las Vegas tournament comes to mind.
  8. Standard member33moves
    4th stooge
    anytown, USA
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 21:001 edit
    Yes, I think that there is a lack of sportsmanship in the everyday tournament world here in the U.S. at least amongst some. Enjoying the experience is important, no doubt- but a game based on human wits and will power, with the desire to win forcefully will bring out the worst in some people, no matter what culture they are from. The next time you are playing against an a-hole who goes on with these tricks- laugh it off and play the board- afterall, athletes from all the various sports put up with razzing, and mind tricks.
  9. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 21:13
    I played in tons of tournaments over the past 2 years and they have always been perfect. We even hosted the Canadian open last year with 215 players from around the world, Ivanchuk, shirov, bologan etc... and it went fine. But then again, we are Canadian and it was in canada!

Maybe that sort of stuff just happens during American tourneys 😛
  10. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 23:49
    Originally posted by RahimK

Maybe that sort of stuff just happens during American tourneys 😛
    Americans are uncivilized.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 23:59
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Dat's why we kick a$$ everywhere we go.
  12. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '06 00:05
    I think a civilized person should be logical enough not to jump to conclusions about an enormous and diverse country, such as the US.
  13. Forgotten
    Moves
    22 Apr '06 00:396 edits
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    I do think you and I are exceptions to that statement.
    I do have my limits though,and I can't see some little nancyboy, as I described in my above post ,screaming at the top of his lungs ,right in the other fellows face ,for about 10 minutes,without me blowing my top.
    The issue I posted about (as all game disputes) should have been arbitrated on the spot during the games progress,and not yelled at in a parking lot.
    Chess is a game of gentlemen to play like gentlemen.
    Throw in some friendly joking, and a little friendly trash talk and it is a good time for all. It only takes one whiney sore loser to spoil everyone's fun.
  14. London
    Moves
    22 Apr '06 00:59
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    well that question is like asking "Can I move same piece twice?"...

but I indeed misunderstood your original post. my humbly apologies...
    Haven't you learnt anything from beating titled players on a regular basis?
  15. back in business
    Moves
    22 Apr '06 04:34
    Originally posted by Freddie2006
    Haven't you learnt anything from beating titled players on a regular basis?
    sometimes I wonder are you just simply jealous?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree