1. Parallel Universe
    Moves
    23 Apr '06 08:11
    Originally posted by 33moves
    ...The next time you are playing against an a-hole who goes on with these tricks- laugh it off and play the board- afterall, athletes from all the various sports put up with razzing, and mind tricks.
    If he feels he needs to do that to win in a friendly game at chess club, imagine his behavior/trickery in a tournament. I'll be choosing a different person to play with next week. I don't need to socialize (chess is a social game for me...I love the post-game analysis) with that sort of person.

He also needed some lye and a hose, which is another good reason for not playing him.
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    23 Apr '06 11:58
    Originally posted by pinkthunder
    I was at chess club last night, and this guy kept murmuring (very softly) to himself, "Ugh. That was a terrible move I made." or "Ugh. I can't believe I just did that." What he had done was set a good trap and played very sharply. He *knew* what he had done. I didn't appreciate him trying to psych me. I fell for the first one, but none after that. Needle ...[text shortened]... more of a social event for me, and I don't need to socialize with players like that.
    He starts acting badly every time you need to be careful? He sounds like a good person to play.
  3. Parallel Universe
    Moves
    23 Apr '06 15:30
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    He starts acting badly every time you need to be careful? He sounds like a good person to play.
    And starts smelling badly right away. Maybe tht's one of his tactics?
  4. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    23 Apr '06 15:40
    If your opponent gets up each time its his move and leaves for a few minutes before moving (instantly), I'd get suspicious and check the bathrooms for Fritz.
  5. Garner, NC
    Moves
    25 Apr '06 19:29
    Originally posted by General Putzer
    Dat's why we kick a$$ everywhere we go.
    Statements like this are why we're disliked everywhere we go.
  6. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 00:20
    Originally posted by techsouth
    Statements like this are why we're disliked everywhere we go.
    Haha, I hear and see american ppl buying maple leaf backpacks, mugs, etc...pretend they are canadian when going over seas. Haha, to bad they can't say eh properly,

eh?
  7. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 00:26
    Originally posted by pinkthunder
    And starts smelling badly right away. Maybe tht's one of his tactics?
    I think the subjects of your sentences need acting lessons, and deconjestants respectively.
  8. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 01:04
    Originally posted by ark13
    If I understand the rules correctly, you must move a piece that you touch, but your move isn't complete until you hit your clock. If this is the case, I see two ways one could use this to one's advantage.

1. You're sure you want to move a certain piece, but you're not sure where. You can put it on a prospective square to aid in your calculations. It's on ...[text shortened]... your opponent into revealing their responce to your prospective move.

Is this legal?
    I was playing some blitz today in the park. My opponent asked for "touch move" Before starting, i said ok.
    then there was the last game of a 4 game series, i had just got a win, after losing 2. He touched a pawn, to capture mine, but saw that his bishop would be taken, because the pawn in question, was pinned by my queen. He tried to move another piece instead, but i reminded him of the "touch move" aggreement. Since it was blitz, he tried to say "but were playing clock move" but i reminded him, he asked for touch move.
    I got the split with a tough opponent, thanks to that rule.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 01:09
    Originally posted by RahimK
    or, move the rook first and then the king.

It's king first then rook!!!
    if they moved the rook first would that not be the move (no castle) as they would have to let go of the rook to move the king?
  10. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    27 Apr '06 19:511 edit
    If I understand the rules correctly, you must move a piece that you touch, but your move isn't complete until you hit your clock. If this is the case, I see two ways one could use this to one's advantage.

1. You're sure you want to move a certain piece, but you're not sure where. You can put it on a prospective square to aid in your calculations. It's on your opponent into revealing their responce to your prospective move.

Is this legal?
    Why not just think your move out in your head, be a gentleman, and stop aggravating your opponent by bobbing your hand over the pieces? You don't see World Champions using this maneuver do you? When I have questions as to how life is best lived, I look to Jesus Christ. When I have questions as to how to act like a gentleman during a chess match, I look to the best: the World Champions. Fischer once touched a piece, and still moved it even though Ulf Anderssen had walked away from the board. Later, Ulf would say that Fischer is a true gentleman at the board, and no one can ever say anything concerning his manners at the board. It may be otherwise away from the board, but at the board, he was a supreme gentleman.
  11. Standard memberRavello
    The RudeĀ©
    who knows?
    Moves
    27 Apr '06 19:551 edit
    Originally posted by powershaker
    Why not just think your move out in your head, be a gentleman, and stop aggravating your opponent by bobbing your hand over the pieces? You don't see World Champions using this maneuver do you? When I have questions as to how life is best lived, I look to Jesus Christ. When I have questions as to how to act like a gentleman during a chess match, I loo ...[text shortened]... board. It may be otherwise away from the board, but at the board, he was a supreme gentleman.
    If Fischer was a gentleman over the board then I'm Bill Gates.

P.S.:you avoid accurately the other threads uh?
  12. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    27 Apr '06 20:051 edit
    Originally posted by trevor33
    if they moved the rook first would that not be the move (no castle) as they would have to let go of the rook to move the king?
    Yes it should be the move but I don't make a fuss. I don't want any trouble, it just annoying when people do that.

Although if you opponent does complain, I wouldn't, Then the TD might force you to just move the rook or take some time off you clock etc... so be warned you Rook first moves when castling, and you two hand people!

It can get very nasty sometimes, i've seen arguements over this before!
  13. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    27 Apr '06 20:07
    Originally posted by powershaker
    Why not just think your move out in your head, be a gentleman, and stop aggravating your opponent by bobbing your hand over the pieces? You don't see World Champions using this maneuver do you? When I have questions as to how life is best lived, I look to Jesus Christ. When I have questions as to how to act like a gentleman during a chess match, I loo ...[text shortened]... board. It may be otherwise away from the board, but at the board, he was a supreme gentleman.
    Someone else can rat you out. Your opponent does not have to be there. Thus someone watching the fischer game could have ratted on him if he has moved a different piece. Just a thought.
  14. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    27 Apr '06 21:03
    Originally posted by Ravello
    [b]If Fischer was a gentleman over the board then I'm Bill Gates.
    b]
    I've also heard the same thing...Fischer's OTB manners were inpeccable. In the last round of the 1975 US Championship Benko was in time trouble against Reshevsky. Reshevsky kept his finger on the clock button so Benko had a hard time trying to punch the clock after his move. In an earlier round, Reshevsky was playing Vukcevich. Every time it was Vukcevich's move, Reshevsky kept coughing and clearing his throat. Then he'd unwrap a stick of gum and pop it in his mouth. You can't imagine how noisy unwrapping a stick of gum can be! Funny thing is, the gum would work for a little while because when it was Reshevsky's turn, the coughing subsided.
  15. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Moves
    27 Apr '06 23:28
    I think the subjects of your sentences need acting lessons, and deconjestants respectively.
    I'll be disappointed if no one gets this.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree