1. Standard memberAnderssen
    Legally stoned...
    Moves
    05 Nov '19 11:04
    I'm only 1600 and have been told many times I play passively.
    I've tried to change my style of play but it ends up a massacre with me losing.

Which world champion played passively but solid?

It's pointless for me to study games from Alekhine or Kasparov because I don't have that aggressive style.

Anderssen is my username but that's only a joke because he was so aggressive and I'm so passive.

One of them must have played "boring chess"...right?
  2. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    05 Nov '19 11:47
    @anderssen said
    I'm only 1600 and have been told many times I play passively.
    I've tried to change my style of play but it ends up a massacre with me losing.

Which world champion played passively but solid?

It's pointless for me to study games from Alekhine or Kasparov because I don't have that aggressive style.

Anderssen is my username but that's only a joke because he was so aggressive and I'm so passive.

One of them must have played "boring chess"...right?
    The one that springs to mind is Tigran Petrosian. I wouldn't say that any World champion is truly passive, but TP had a very defensive style. If you are planning to study his games, be prepared for a lot of moves that don't make sense. His style is very unique. I wouldn't say he is the most accessible player to study, he often turns down the most objective continuation to play prophylactic moves.
  3. Standard memberAnderssen
    Legally stoned...
    Moves
    05 Nov '19 12:11
    Thanks 😉
    I don't think I have ever seen a book about him or his games but I'll look online and order if they have something.
  4. SubscriberRagwortonline
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    05 Nov '19 12:17
    @Anderssen

Although not a world champion, GM Ulf Andersson might be more accessible than Petrosian for what's generally been thought of as a risk averse chess style, as well as having a relevant name of course. There are 2207 games of his in the RHP master games database. That should keep you going!

https://www.dailychess.com/chess-games-explorer/master-games.php?playername=Andersson%2C+Ulf&playercolor=&opponentname=&rpgn=
  5. Standard memberAnderssen
    Legally stoned...
    Moves
    05 Nov '19 12:20
    Awesome 🤗
  6. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    05 Nov '19 13:06
    @Anderssen

Here's a nice game against Kasparov. You can see how solid he plays. Lots of moves to over protect squares and so on..

7. Standard memberAnderssen
    Legally stoned...
    Moves
    05 Nov '19 14:43
    ...and it's a QGA...I like this guy already 😉
  8. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    05 Nov '19 15:382 edits
    @ragwort said
    @Anderssen

Although not a world champion, GM Ulf Andersson might be more accessible than Petrosian for what's generally been thought of as a risk averse chess style, as well as having a relevant name of course. There are 2207 games of his in the RHP master games database. That should keep you going!

https://www.dailychess.com/chess-games-explorer/master-games.php?playername=Andersson%2C+Ulf&playercolor=&opponentname=&rpgn=
    Ragwort beat me to it!

Grandmaster Chess Strategy by Kaufeld and Kern is about Andersson's strategic games, and it is one of the best and most educational chess books I have ever read.
    Petrosian Move by Move by Lakdawala is probably the most accessible book on Petrosian. Think prophylactic, not passive- he has the interesting distinction for sacrificing more material than any other World Champion due to his penchant for sacrificing rooks for minor pieces.

Although they are more expensive, the 2 volume set on Karpov's strategic games by Karolyi is a masterpiece work. Great games matched to a great writer who makes Karpov accessible.

For a diluted version, you can also try Collins's excellent Karpov Move by Move, which more shallow but also much more broad- it might be the best place to start.

As a side note, I am waiting for someone to write Smyslov Move by Move. I'll be first in line!
  9. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    05 Nov '19 19:17
    I suggest finding book(s) specializing in Defense and or counter-play. gl
  10. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    05 Nov '19 19:24
    @paul-leggett said
    Ragwort beat me to it!

Grandmaster Chess Strategy by Kaufeld and Kern is about Andersson's strategic games, and it is one of the best and most educational chess books I have ever read.
    Petrosian Move by Move by Lakdawala is probably the most accessible book on Petrosian. Think prophylactic, not passive- he has the interesting distinction for sacrificin ...[text shortened]... .

As a side note, I am waiting for someone to write Smyslov Move by Move. I'll be first in line!
    I read somewhere that Smyslov played a dull style of chess but was considered one the greatest endgame players
    I think he once said "if you make 40 good moves I'll make 41"
  11. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    05 Nov '19 21:02
    @marinkatomb said
    The one that springs to mind is Tigran Petrosian. I wouldn't say that any World champion is truly passive, but TP had a very defensive style. If you are planning to study his games, be prepared for a lot of moves that don't make sense. His style is very unique. I wouldn't say he is the most accessible player to study, he often turns down the most objective continuation to play prophylactic moves.
    Would Petrosian survive in the modern chess world?.
    With the advent of powerful engines the chess world has changed much since his day
  12. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    07 Nov '19 00:13
    @venda said
    Would Petrosian survive in the modern chess world?.
    With the advent of powerful engines the chess world has changed much since his day
    @venda That is a good question! I think he would do pretty well these days actually as it happens. I would hazard a guess that he might even do better than he did in his pomp!

If you look at modern day opening preparation, particularly in the post Carlsen era, there is a heavy swing towards playing balanced positions, rather than sharp positions that can be analysed out with Stockfish. Take the Berlin defence as a case in point. This has been a popular approach for black specifically because the engines can't show a decisive advantage in one variation over another. Petrosian was a genius in quiet positions. Let him manoeuvre his pieces un-challenged and you will lose, 100%

Petrosian with an engine at his disposal? That's a monster in the making!!
  13. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    07 Nov '19 01:02
    @venda

I'm inclined to think Petrosian would flourish. He would be the perfect engine antidote. We would see young GMs in the skittles room after the games, heads in hands, lamenting "How could I have lost? The engine says I was better!?"
  14. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    07 Nov '19 01:38
    @lemondrop
    Smyslov's 3 matches with Botvinnik is a great way to get a feel for his style. Botvinnik won more matches, but Smyslov won more games.
  15. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    07 Nov '19 12:38
    @paul-leggett said
    @lemondrop
    Smyslov's 3 matches with Botvinnik is a great way to get a feel for his style. Botvinnik won more matches, but Smyslov won more games.
    Yes Smyslov is one of my favourite players. I didn't suggest him as i don't really see him as a passive player. He is a great player to study! He has such a harmonious style, anyone who thinks his games are dull needs their head examining Imo..

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree