1. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    16 Nov '08 12:25
    Originally posted by vipiu
    can you send me this: Chess and Chess-players: Consisting of Original Stories and Sketches By George Walker Published 1850 C.J. Skeet 390 pages by mail ?
    I can give you the name of the CD all these books are on.
    I am looking at that particular "book" now.
    It has a stamp on the first page that says New York Public Library.

I will give you the contents page, but that is all I will do.
    ( I don't want to break copyright laws or anything.)

The Chess Automaton Page 1
    Deschapelles The Chess King 38
    A Night In York 61
    Chess Without The Chess-Board 106
    The Cafe De La Regence 148
    Ruy Lopez The Chess Bishop; A Legend In Spain 185
    Mated And Checkmated; An Oriental Sketch 209
    A Game Of Chess With Napoleon 247
    Vincenzio The Venetian 291
    The Light And Lustre Of Chess 330
    Battles Of La Bourdonnais And Mc Donnell 364

The pages are in adobe acrobat form (and can me magnified).

I haven't read the book, myself.
    I would like to note on one other book a page or so was missing.

I purchased the disc on ebay.
    It really just looks like a typical blank CD with a sticker on top.
    The sticker says Chess Copyright 2007 ... Euriskodata,Inc.

The ebay seller was euriskodata .
    I am not in any way affiliated with this seller for the record.
    I do see two copies of the disc now.

You can search chess under that seller.
    34 antiques books CHESS should also bring it up.

Again, I am not a salesman and am not affiliated with this disc.

๐Ÿ™‚
  2. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '08 15:07
    Originally posted by vipiu
    can you send me this: Chess and Chess-players: Consisting of Original Stories and Sketches By George Walker Published 1850 C.J. Skeet 390 pages by mail ?
    You can find the pdf of that book here. It's out of copyright, so it appears to be legal. Enjoy!

http://www.archive.org/details/chessandchesspl00walkgoog
  3. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    16 Nov '08 15:18
    I said in another thread I wasn't sure if they were public domain or not. ๐Ÿ™‚

It's surprising what all is.

In movies, I think Night Of The Living Dead is public domain.
    It's pretty astonishing considering the success it had (two sequels and many knock offs). I could name some more but this is after all a chess forum. ๐Ÿ™‚
  4. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '08 15:53
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    You can find the pdf of that book here. It's out of copyright, so it appears to be legal. Enjoy!

http://www.archive.org/details/chessandchesspl00walkgoog
    thx
  5. Fรฅgelsรฅngen
    Moves
    17 Nov '08 14:49
    Excellent Thread! Thank you very much!
  6. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    17 Nov '08 14:54
    Very Welcome ๐Ÿ™‚
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Apr '09 22:08
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    I am thinking about reviewing my entire collection for fun.

The collection is over 400.

Is anyone interested?
    You do your 400

and I'll do my 800

would be curious to see your reviews of works by these 10:

Lipnitsky,
    Sokolsly,
    Estrin,
    Panov,
    Bondarevsky,
    Bagirov,
    KotKov,
    Romanovsky,
    Gyula Breyer, and specifically the work
    The SACRIFICE in Chess by Vukovic.

Thank You.
  8. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    05 Apr '09 23:02
    Originally posted by Shamash
    You do your 400

and I'll do my 800

would be curious to see your reviews of works by these 10:

Lipnitsky,
    Sokolsly,
    Estrin,
    Panov,
    Bondarevsky,
    Bagirov,
    KotKov,
    Romanovsky,
    Gyula Breyer, and specifically the work
    The SACRIFICE in Chess by Vukovic.

Thank You.
    I'd be happy to read your reviews.

I slacked off on posting but have quite a few additions to my library.

Among them are Larsen's Games, Capablanca's Games By Golombek, Experts VS The Sicilian, Beating The Sicilian 3, Starting Out The Closed Sicilian, Beating The Open Games By Marin, A Spanish Repertoire For Black By Marin, My Great Predecessors 1-5, and many more. ๐Ÿ™‚

A friend of mine has Lipnitsky, but I haven't seen much of it. I jokingly flipped through the pages and said "Here's something you don't see every day: The Collected Games Of Isaac Lipnitsky." ๐Ÿ™‚
    I think Fischer really liked that one.

I haven't seen much Sokolsky.

I did borrow and read Dynamic Chess Strategy By Suba. It is very interesting. I liked it a lot, but I wasn't as crazy about it as most. I loved the words and the games. I couldn't really grasp the connection between what he was saying and what he was doing. The combination of theory and practice kind of threw me off. In all fairness, I read it pretty fast and could be 100 % wrong about it.

Estrin's Two Knight's Defense is one of my favorite opening (and all around) books. The book is 20 + years old and still a lot of the analysis is great. It's really fun to play through the lines too. It's a shame 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.d3 sucks most of the life out of it. Insead of 4. ... Be7, I prefer 4. ... Bc5 which seems best to me. 4. ... Be7 leads to structures more related the closed Ruy Lopez.

I haven't read any Panov, but I did almost order his book on Capablanca. If it were in English, I would have.

I haven't read much Bondarevsky much either, although I do have his book on combinations. The Soviet School Of Chess By Kotov is excellent. It has some wonderful combinations and games played by the genius, Bondarevsky. He was a really great tactician.

Romanovsky's two middlegame books are quite good.

I haven't read the works of Breyer either. I have played his defense but that is about it.

I'm not sure about the Sacrifice by Vukovic either.

My wishlist is rather small now.

(I just want a few endgame books, Kasparov's latest creations, and perhaps a few books on the more modern players like Topolov, Ivanchuk, and Anand.) I did recently purchase The Life And Games Of Kramnik. I think the consensus is that it was ghost written. It is excellent though (the games anyway).
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Apr '09 23:41
    I'd be happy to read your reviews.

I slacked off on posting but have quite a few additions to my library.

Among them are Larsen's Games, Capablanca's Games By Golombek, Experts VS The Sicilian, Beating The Sicilian 3, Starting Out The Closed Sicilian, Beating The Open Games By Marin, A Spanish Repertoire For Black By Marin, My Great Prede ...[text shortened]... s is that it was ghost written. It is excellent though (the games anyway).
    am reading Topalov's Topalov-Kramnik 2006 now.
    Interesting to get his point of view, having just read Bareev's (FROM LONDON TO ELISTA) from Kramnik's point of view.

The Lipnitsky I like is his 1956 QUESTIONS OF MODERN CHESS THEORY

for Sokolsky it's his THE MODERN OPENINGS IN THEORY AND PRACTICE (1966)

for Panov it's his Comprehensive Chess Openings: Closed Games.

for Estrin it's his GAMBITS

for KotKov (Not the GM Kotov but the Master, Kotkov ) it's his middlegame book, THE DEFENSE TRIUMPHS

Have had Romaovsky lying around for a year & a half, its cover staing at me, read me! Read Me! and am finally able to digest morsels of his book on Middlegame Planning.

The Vukovic work (also translated as THE CHESS SACRIFICE: Technique, Art and Risk in Sacrificial Chess) is quite interesting and unique, with a scope that deeply embraces chess psychology and gives the reader insights into Vukovic himself, which ART OF ATTACK IN CHESS does not.

For a recent book with an enjoyable style irrespective of the content, look at Ilya Odessky's " Play 1b3! " Bought it for its style, certainly not the opening. This a valuable and thoughtful discussion of chess, pretending to be an openings book. It's the kind that leaves you with chess wisdom to draw on when you're making those hard early middlegame choices. (The book Tactical Exchanges by Nesis and the work on Fischer by Agur do something similar.)

Will plan to review Botvinnik's book on Chess and Long-Range Planning. It's little, it's all but unknown --- and is full of nuggets you don't see anywhere else. Insights of theory, insghts for practical play. He wrote it when he was programming the first Soviet chess computers in its PIONEER chess engine program, codifying the knowledge he had gained from winning the world championship three times and mentoring at least two future world champions.
  10. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 00:071 edit
    Excellent Post !!!

I just got a hold of three Botvinnik books that I had been wanting.

15 Games And Their Stories is OK at best. Many of the games are in his other books. The analysis is very short.

Botvinnik On The Endgame is nice though. It is again a very thin pamplet. There is a nice discussion of endings from his games though (including the draw with Fischer).

I also have Botvinnik's Best Games 1947-1970. It is great. It is like a sequel to 100 Selected Games. Those two books cover his entire career (annotated by him).
  11. Joined
    09 Jun '06
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 23:39
    The 400 hundred reviews I've read so far are useful but I wish you could have said a little more on each book. They are slightly concise
  12. Joined
    09 Jun '06
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 23:41
    Only joking Paul. Seriously, what a splendid effort. This surely has to be one of, if not the best, posts on this forum. Excellent work. Thanks
  13. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    07 Apr '09 02:10
    Thank you very much ๐Ÿ™‚
  14. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    07 Apr '09 05:07
    Thank you very much ๐Ÿ™‚
    I read each book for 400 times. Then this extremely speedy black beetle reads (pedal to the metal) another๐Ÿ˜ต
  15. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    07 Apr '09 06:41
    Originally posted by black beetle
    I read each book for 400 times. Then this extremely speedy black beetle reads (pedal to the metal) another๐Ÿ˜ต
    I imagine your copy of the Suba book must be falling apart. ๐Ÿ™‚

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree