Practice boards?

Practice boards?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c

Moves
23 Jan 11

Are there practice boards on this site? I see interactive games posted in the forums and blogs but have no idea
how to access a playingboard that I can set up - (like gameknot).

Thanks very much.

A stable personality

Near my hay.

Moves
23 Jan 11

I don't know about Gameknot, but you can use the "analyse board" function - link available when viewing any game. You can add, move or remove pieces in that mode as you wish.

c

Moves
25 Jan 11

I appreciate you taking the time to answer - I haven't found the options to reset, move,
etc., the 'reset' option just gives, bookmark link and copy.

State of Confusion

Lancashire

Moves
25 Jan 11

In the bottom right-hand corner see "Game History".You can reset and move anywhere through the game from there.From any square by "right-clicking" you open "Manipulate Pieces" box which enables any position to be set-up by adding and removing pieces.Allows illegal moves just like the old-fashioned practice boards.

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
25 Jan 11
1 edit

When on the analyse board, right click a piece or square for options. Move pieces around the same as the regular board.

edit 1 minute too late. 🙁

c

Moves
26 Jan 11

So instead of clearing the board you have to take pieces off one at a time?? Seriously?
These boards are only 50% useful since you can't tell (needless to say I'm new to the game)
if a move is illegal or not - how do people post gameboards in blogs and the forums?
Thanks for answering.

c

Moves
26 Jan 11

All the people on this site and no one can be bothered to help someone out?

Senecio Jacobaea

Yorkshire

Moves
26 Jan 11

Originally posted by choux
So instead of clearing the board you have to take pieces off one at a time?? Seriously?
These boards are only 50% useful since you can't tell (needless to say I'm new to the game)
if a move is illegal or not - how do people post gameboards in blogs and the forums?
Thanks for answering.
It is not clear to me exactly what you are wanting to do, however the FAQ under the help menu does explain how to place diagrams and PGN links into posts...

If an Analyse Board told you whether a move was legal or not it would count as "computer assistance" and would, strictly speaking, be against the rules of this site.

Australia

Moves
26 Jan 11

This is a bit unreasonable, don't you think? Only 3 hours since your last post, and this is in the wrong forum at that. You normally get quite fast responses in the Help Forum, that's one of the reasons why it's there.

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
26 Jan 11

Originally posted by Ragwort

If an Analyse Board told you whether a move was legal or not it would count as "computer assistance" and would, strictly speaking, be against the rules of this site.
Interesting, I never thought of it that way. I assumed it was to allow you to set up "what-if" situations and see how to work towards them without the pesty rules getting in the way. 🙂 In any case the play board does let you know about any illegal moves with the dreaded pink square reboot.

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
26 Jan 11

You are going to be SO disappointed in internet tech support. 😛

c

Moves
27 Jan 11
2 edits

c

Moves
27 Jan 11

c

Moves
27 Jan 11

Originally posted by Kewpie
This is a bit unreasonable, don't you think? Only 3 hours since your last post, and this is in the wrong forum at that. You normally get quite fast responses in the Help Forum, that's one of the reasons why it's there.
I posted the question four days ago. I would have been happy to go to the
right place had I known I was in the wrong place.

c

Moves
27 Jan 11

Originally posted by Ragwort
It is not clear to me exactly what you are wanting to do, however the FAQ under the help menu does explain how to place diagrams and PGN links into posts...

Oh, I had no idea, on Gameknot the analyse board shows which moves can be made and the practice boards can be cleared and reset. I'll go to the Help and FAQ, I didn't realize sites varied so much. I thought I was missing something. Thanks very much!