Praise Jesus - USCF Rule Change

Praise Jesus - USCF Rule Change

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
03 Oct 06
3 edits

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
Which? The one I quoted? No it's FIDE.
Yes, that one. The rules I've been told at USCF events is that you declare the move that will create the repetition and/or 50 move situation and stop both clocks; if the other player disputes the draw, you call the Tournament Director. Unfortunately, the USCF rules aren't on-line.

EDIT: From the rules of the Continental Chess Associations which runs quite a few major tournaments (including the New York state Championship which I played in a month ago):

23. If 50 moves (no exceptions) by each side elapse without a capture or pawn move, either player may claim a draw.

24. It must be your move to claim triple occurrence of position. Don't move, or it will be opponent's move and you cannot claim. State move, claim, and stop clocks. If opponent disagrees, see Director. If claim is denied, 2 minutes are added to opponent's remaining time.

http://www.chesstour.com/rules.htm

W
Angler

River City

Moves
03 Oct 06
1 edit

Originally posted by no1marauder
Unfortunately, the USCF rules aren't on-line.

EDIT: From the rules of the Continental Chess Associations which runs quite a few major tournaments (including the New York state Championship which I played in a month ago):

24. It must be your move to claim triple occurrence of position. Don't move, or it will be opponent's move and you cannot cla ied, 2 minutes are added to opponent's remaining time.

http://www.chesstour.com/rules.htm
USCF Rule 14C4 permits, but recommends against, a player to move but not press his or her clock when making a draw claim based on triple occurrence of position.

Perhaps their length is a major reason they are not online (and another nefarious commercial agreement with a book publisher): they run over 300 pages.

The FIDE laws concerning draws comprise less than 800 words, while the comparable USCF rules runs 17 pages.

HoH
Thug

Playing with matches

Moves
03 Oct 06

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Then you are using the scoresheet as an aid, which is explicitly forbidden elsewhere. The scoresheet is not there to help you play in any manner, even if it is not helping your analysis.
Is there a rule specifically addressing a player taking a dump his opponents Chess bag during a tournament? Is this 'explicitly forbidden' or are there circumstances under which this would be deemed acceptable?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
03 Oct 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
Is there a rule specifically addressing a player taking a dump his opponents Chess bag during a tournament? Is this 'explicitly forbidden' or are there circumstances under which this would be deemed acceptable?
I don't think it's explicitly forbidden. If somebody did that to me, I would probably make a claim that it was distracting, unless I deserved it.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
03 Oct 06

Why are electronic score sheets with pictures of chess boards allowed?

W
Angler

River City

Moves
03 Oct 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
The point is writing the move down first is an aid to memory; it is ID'ing your no1 candidate move while still surveying the board.
That's a pretty weak point, and I doubt it is one contemplated by Rule 20, which is aimed at preventing such things as happen in correspondence chess (use of the RHP notepad, checking Watson's Play the French to consider favored lines at move 8, etc.).

Nevertheless, I'll concede that the diaphanous elephant has a wee bit more substance that the kibitzer in the photo here: http://www.goddesschess.com/art%20and%20artifact/chessghost.html

Dr. Scribbles's stubborn insistence that such a trivial act as recording a speculative event before it is guaranteed to occur should be forbidden has won the day in the USCF, although not for the reasons he put forth. I maintain that his concerns exaggerate and distort the intent of the rules forbidding aids to memory, although it became problem enough in FIDE events to warrant a rule change some time ago.

The evidence of the palimsest reveals notation errors after the move as well as before it in addition to candidate moves, and thus bears no weight.

I do not see that we will come to agreement. I'll make my peace with the new rule, even though it seems to be a distinctly American Jesus that inspired the change.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
03 Oct 06

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
In a word, commerce.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
03 Oct 06

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
There are also paper scoresheets with chess diagrams which are allowed.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
03 Oct 06

There are also paper scoresheets with chess diagrams which are allowed.
There's a difference between a blank diagram and a handheld electronic device that shows the pieces on their proper squares. However, my experience at blindfold play suggests that a blank chessborad is a tremendous aid to memory.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
03 Oct 06

Originally posted by Wulebgr
There's a difference between a blank diagram and a handheld electronic device that shows the pieces on their proper squares. However, my experience at blindfold play suggests that a blank chessborad is a tremendous aid to memory.
If MonRoi has the current board state displayed, shouldn't it be acceptable to draw out the current board state on paper, updating it after each move?

W
Angler

River City

Moves
03 Oct 06

If MonRoi has the current board state displayed, shouldn't it be acceptable to draw out the current board state on paper, updating it after each move?
yep (but I think that most TDs would state that it isn't)

S

Dublin

Moves
03 Oct 06

What benefit would that have for anyone though?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
03 Oct 06
2 edits

Originally posted by Schumi
What benefit would that have for anyone though?
Perhaps you overlook your opponent's threats or new opportunities after his move since you don't physically move his piece on the board. And if you're away from the board when he moves, you won't see the board transition as it takes place. But perhaps if you physically update the sideboard, as you erase the spot where his piece was maybe you'll spot new open lines, or as you write the piece in the new place, you'll be more inclined to see what it's threatening.