1. Scotton Lincolnshire
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 13:55
    How does a player drop 730 points in 5 days? I'm playing him or her (and losing) and his or her rating is now 970 odd having been 1700s in the past.
    Any ideas anyone?
  2. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 13:57
    Time outs, reducing game load by resigning a lot of them, temporary bout of insanity?
  3. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 14:032 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 14:13
    Originally posted by Forest9
    How does a player drop 730 points in 5 days? I'm playing him or her (and losing) and his or her rating is now 970 odd having been 1700s in the past.
    Any ideas anyone?
    he was timeouted 121 times *ouch*
  5. Scotton Lincolnshire
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 14:22
    Thanks for the ideas. He must have had a good Christmas.
  6. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 14:25
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I am afraid this sort of thing is the reason why one reluctantly has to take time outs. Why should you lose 32 rating points (say) losing to someone who should be 400 rating points above you?

Players that do this get avoided by me and all of us should do likewise until people learn that it is not acceptable behavour.

It is easy to avoid by (1) taking on less games and (2) agreeing draws and making selective resignations to reduce your game load.

So far I have never been timed out and rarely take one but just reacently however I did reluctantly take a time out in a game I was winning because I know I'll be away for 16 days in January and unable to move and that had I let him off now he would have taken the timeout then. About 6 weeks ago I got a lot of 2nd round tournament games that I knew I had no time to play. All the opponents I asked (and I only asked those rated close to me) agreed 2 draws (we both get through to the next round) and no timeouts were conceded. Planing is everything
  7. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 14:31
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    [b]Planing is everything[/b]
    Dude, dont put you spelling misstakes in bold!
  8. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 14:35
    Originally posted by mazziewag
    Dude, dont put you spelling misstakes in bold!
    That's 'don't', 'your' and 'mistakes'. 😀
  9. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 14:43
    Originally posted by Ian68
    That's 'don't', 'your' and 'mistakes'. 😀
    Well done you missed the joke and now look silly! 😛
  10. Scotton Lincolnshire
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 16:00
    The same player has entered at least two 1700+ tournaments! He's a Richard Cranium if ever I saw one.
  11. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 16:491 edit
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    About 6 weeks ago I got a lot of 2nd round tournament games that I knew I had no time to play. All the opponents I asked (and I only asked those rated close to me) agreed 2 draws (we both get through to the next round) and no timeouts were conceded. [b]Planing is everything[/b]
    While it's nice that your opponents allowed you to avoid timeouts, it's rather unfair to the other tournament participants who had to fight their way through to round 3 that you and your opponent got by so easily. Now if you're 30 moves into both games and they are drawn/drawish, then go ahead and draw them, but these are akin to the grandmaster draws everyone so despises.
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    30 Dec '06 20:35
    Originally posted by mazziewag
    Well done you missed the joke and now look silly! 😛
    Watch your grammar as the spelling Police are doing spot checks !
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    30 Dec '06 20:38
    Originally posted by zebano
    While it's nice that your opponents allowed you to avoid timeouts, it's rather unfair to the other tournament participants who had to fight their way through to round 3 that you and your opponent got by so easily. Now if you're 30 moves into both games and they are drawn/drawish, then go ahead and draw them, but these are akin to the grandmaster draws everyone so despises.
    I know at another site, and I am not saying that is the case here. People use to purposely drop their rating by 400 or 500 points then enter a tournament and clean up !
  14. Joined
    30 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Dec '06 21:40
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    I know at another site, and I am not saying that is the case here. People use to purposely drop their rating by 400 or 500 points then enter a tournament and clean up !
    That's been done here, but thankfully the site admins have taken steps against this (see the tournaments forum).
  15. Donationbriancron
    nunquam perdo
    Washington, DC
    Moves
    30 Dec '06 22:011 edit
    I have two clan games against this guy...

It's like having to wrestle somone who doesn't shower.

One of my games is only at 1 half move so I am debating resigning it to avoid the possible point loss

*edit*
    I was able to resign those games without losing points so I did it... I don't want to have to drag a game out just hopeing his rating will climb. He should manage his time better so he dials down his gameload when he is going on vaction.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree