Research

Research

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
31 Jan 15

When one starts a new game against a new opponent,do any of you look at their games to see how the opponent plays like what the gramdmasters do?
Things like preferred openings, agressive/passive etc?
I feel like I ought to but basically I'm too lazy to bother.
I do sometimes wonder if anyone looks at MY game history though.
I only play about 3 openings regularly and then for only as long as I can remember the book moves!!

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
31 Jan 15

Originally posted by venda
When one starts a new game against a new opponent,do any of you look at their games to see how the opponent plays like what the gramdmasters do?
I only play about 3 openings regularly and then for only as long as I can remember the book moves!!
Hello- I've been out of the tournament scene for awhile, but doing a little research of your opponent's games is a good idea, I don't think it wll give you a large advantage, but it will help a bit, now and then.

Senecio Jacobaea

Yorkshire

Moves
31 Jan 15

Originally posted by venda
I'd say it was only worth bothering if you are going to change what you would do as a result of the research. If you are strong enough to pick holes in what someone has done previously you can probably do it at the board when they play you anyway. Otherwise, if your openings are reasonably secure against the opposition you regularly face and you are enjoying your games why worry.

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
31 Jan 15

Originally posted by Ragwort
I'd say it was only worth bothering if you are going to change what you would do as a result of the research. If you are strong enough to pick holes in what someone has done previously you can probably do it at the board when they play you anyway. Otherwise, if your openings are reasonably secure against the opposition you regularly face and you are enjoying your games why worry.
Sound advice Tim
Glad to see you're still around.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
31 Jan 15

First I check to see if I've played them before, and if so what is my record. I look at my past games with them particularly any loses in my pet lines. I look for line improvements using note and databases. I then look at his lines in what I assume are his pet lines, and look for any way to throw them a curveball.
If I assume the player is stronger than myself, I steer towards tactics. If I think they are weaker or about even I try to out position them.
Hope this helps.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
31 Jan 15

Ragwort- w1/d0/l1
Won with white with the 4pa, repeat, even though I never play 1.d4 normally, I'd use the previous win and 1.d4 as a psychological blow. Lost with black kid, try counter gambit or better yet budapest.
Venda- no games

The King of Board

Solar System

Moves
31 Jan 15

I just like to read the profile, the curve of rating, and the stats.
-

K

Moves
01 Feb 15

There is nothing wrong with research of former opponent games. He or she may have a surprise or two to use against you. You may find that your opponent plays repeated lines which you can play an unexpected move against.

Does anyone use Nunn's Chess Openings to learn openings with +/- or even?

K

Moves
01 Feb 15

I like to look into openings to play at the start. I have used eudesign.com/chessops to play an opening that I may have never played before. It is called Nimzo-Indian Defense. For some reason my opponent did not play properly as white, but in our previous game, I tried the KID against him, and he played fine.

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
01 Feb 15

I used to have a look through someone's graph and pick out any games where they have beaten a much higher rated player. I wouldn't bother trying to analyse their openings, but i would try and work out what sort of player they were. Do i want to go into sharp positions against this player or not? That sort of thing..