1. Standard memberSpacetime
    Not material
    The Universe
    Moves
    13 Dec '06 17:08
    I am considering becoming a Sicilian player (up till now I always played 1...e5). I am wondering what is a good system to start with? Sicilian players, please post your pet system and describe the type of play that typically develops...

I am looking for a system that offers good development and good attacking chances. I don't want to be defending the whole time hoping to grind out a win in the endgame if I can survive the attack with my king in the center.

Also, any tips or generalizations on the Sicilian system and how I should approach starting to learn it would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you for your post. I don't care what your rating is if you like to play the Sicilian I will enjoy reading what you have to say.
  2. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    13 Dec '06 17:14
    I prefer playing the Najdorf or Accelerated Dragon. If I had to pick between the two, I would recommend the Najdorf to you. I think you will like the tactical possibilities that arise out of it.
  3. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    13 Dec '06 17:20

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    13 Dec '06 17:44
    I have played the Dragon for quite a while. It's certainly the most uncompromising Sicilian system and probably the wildest. If you like opposite sides castling situations and all manners of sacrifices and daring-do, then this is probably a decent choice. I haven't checked your rating, but it gets quite sharp and requires a good tactical eye from both players, and also alot of theoretical work to learn all the intricacies and sharp lines. If you decide to take it up, you may want to start out with Martins "Starting Out: The Sicilian Dragon" and then move onto the best work out right now, "Play the Sicilian Dragon" by Eddie Dearing.
  5. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    13 Dec '06 17:46
    My pet system is the Kalashnikov/Sveshnikov--reckless and wild! Lately, I've been playing the Kan--complex positional struggles.

(I've switched from the Sicilian to the French for most of my serious games, but was a Sicilian devotee for 25 years.)
  6. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    13 Dec '06 18:011 edit
    Matter of fact, I'm playing a game right now, where I tried to go into the old Four Knight Variation, but my opponent doesn't seem to know the line.
  7. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    13 Dec '06 19:32
    I play the Sveshnikov which is all about piece activity. Naturally this leads often to tactical complications, however it's not nearly as bad as the dragon.
  8. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Dec '06 20:47
    Hyper-Accelerated Dragon
  9. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    13 Dec '06 20:48
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    Hyper-Accelerated Dragon
    Boo!

Tony got it right - Dragon.

Smaug gets second for the Taimanov recommendation.
  10. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Dec '06 20:58
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    My pet system is the Kalashnikov/Sveshnikov--reckless and wild! Lately, I've been playing the Kan--complex positional struggles.

(I've switched from the Sicilian to the French for most of my serious games, but was a Sicilian devotee for 25 years.)
    That's odd. I played the French for over 10 years and switched to the Sicilian. I like the Sicilian much better cause there are more tactics for both sides.
  11. Standard memberLordofADown
    King of all Hills
    Connecticut
    Moves
    13 Dec '06 21:40
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    Hyper-Accelerated Dragon
    What makes a dragon hyper-accelerated?
  12. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    13 Dec '06 22:06
    Originally posted by LordofADown
    What makes a dragon hyper-accelerated?
    A warp drive.

LOL...

anyway, I have recently started to play the sicillian and I find that the a6 of the najdorf is useful, but in the najdorf black aims to play e4 sometimes. I have decided on the dragon line and sometimes play a6 if necessary. I usually try for a slower piece development while hindering whites knights, eventually attempting to gain the initiative and complete my development at the same time.
  13. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    13 Dec '06 22:08

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    13 Dec '06 22:53
    It's a lot easier to say the Dragon is bad like everyone else than to figure out why and say it. 😀
  15. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    13 Dec '06 22:57
    Originally posted by Spacetime
    I am considering becoming a Sicilian player (up till now I always played 1...e5). I am wondering what is a good system to start with? Sicilian players, please post your pet system and describe the type of play that typically develops...

I am looking for a system that offers good development and good attacking chances. I don't want to be defending the ...[text shortened]... hat your rating is if you like to play the Sicilian I will enjoy reading what you have to say.
    Najdorf is cool for me, but lately I've been playing the Sicilian Kan attempting to avoid theoretical lines. It is very good to play for a class player in my opinion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree