1. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '06 01:181 edit
    Accelerated Dragon if you feel more compromising and are willing to play a more positional game than other Sicilians. For those who say it's bad because of the Maroczy Bind, please do realize that it's breakable...

I've personally shyed from the Dragon, where a slight mistake in some variations can kill you
  2. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    14 Dec '06 01:23
    Originally posted by YUG0slav
    Accelerated Dragon if you feel more compromising and are willing to play a more positional game than other Sicilians. For those who say it's bad because of the Maroczy Bind, please do realize that it's breakable...

I've personally shyed from the Dragon, where a slight mistake in some variations can kill you
    Chicken. 😀
  3. Standard memberLordofADown
    King of all Hills
    Connecticut
    Moves
    14 Dec '06 01:42
    i've never heard of the kalischnikov, is it automatic?
  4. Standard memberSpacetime
    Not material
    The Universe
    Moves
    14 Dec '06 01:43
    Wow, thanks for all the great replies on this...I am reading every post.
  5. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '06 02:01
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    Chicken. 😀
    😞 my pride...
  6. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    14 Dec '06 02:03
    Haha, yeah, you have to be able to take some beatings in the Dragon, but it's nice to make the mistake once and then know not to do it again. It's one of those openings where experience can go a long way in finding the right moves.
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '06 04:45
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    Haha, yeah, you have to be able to take some beatings in the Dragon, but it's nice to make the mistake once and then know not to do it again. It's one of those openings where experience can go a long way in finding the right moves.
    I couldn't agree more, and the Yugoslav Attack is just more fun than everything else.

For whoever asked about the Kalashnikov it's similar to a Sveshnikov, and sometimes transposes, but is notably slower and more positional.

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 e5 being the key move, white usually gets to set up a maroczy bind though, since black has omitted Nf6 (At least for now).
  8. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '06 04:45
    Originally posted by YUG0slav

Better than getting ground down.

And yeah, you're a chicken. 🙂
  9. Joined
    25 Sep '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '06 04:51
    roy lopez...i like it when the other guy do nd4
  10. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '06 04:54
    Originally posted by math chess
    roy lopez...i like it when the other guy do nd4
    First off, it's Ruy Lopez. And second, the Sicilian is 1...c5, so there's no way you can play the Ruy Lopez and the Sicilian at the same time.
  11. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    14 Dec '06 05:15
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    First off, it's R[b]uy Lopez. And second, the Sicilian is 1...c5, so there's no way you can play the Ruy Lopez and the Sicilian at the same time.[/b]
    Obviously you've never heard of the Sicilian Lopez Defense, invented by a sloshed Italian Mexican in the late 1600's.

1. e4 e5c5!!

Black immediately stops d4, but at the cost of the d5 square.

Such a stupid joke, I apologize.
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    14 Dec '06 15:42
    Originally posted by arrakis
    That's odd. I played the French for over 10 years and switched to the Sicilian. I like the Sicilian much better cause there are more tactics for both sides.
    It is good to be comfortable with both. I've also worked up the Benoni and the Franco-Benoni, making possible games in which I play the French on move 1, the Franco-Benoni on move two, and the Sicilian on move 3:

1.e4 e6 2.d4 c5 3.Nf3 cxd4 4.Nxd4 e5!!

It kills 'em in blitz!
  13. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    14 Dec '06 16:12
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    It is good to be comfortable with both. I've also worked up the Benoni and the Franco-Benoni, making possible games in which I play the French on move 1, the Franco-Benoni on move two, and the Sicilian on move 3:

1.e4 e6 2.d4 c5 3.Nf3 cxd4 4.Nxd4 e5!!

It kills 'em in blitz!
    I must say that transpositions can be great weapons, but I don't like your particular transposition. Mainly because by the time you play e5, you have moved that pawn twice and could have instead played Nc6 or even Nf6. Then again, proving that it's bad in blitz could be problematic.
  14. London
    Moves
    14 Dec '06 18:20
    Originally posted by Spacetime
    I am considering becoming a Sicilian player (up till now I always played 1...e5). I am wondering what is a good system to start with? Sicilian players, please post your pet system and describe the type of play that typically develops...

I am looking for a system that offers good development and good attacking chances. I don't want to be defending the ...[text shortened]... hat your rating is if you like to play the Sicilian I will enjoy reading what you have to say.
    I tend to play the Najdorf or the Scheveningen.

I don't know too much about the theory of either (I'm just learning as it goes) and I don't have a great record, but the type of play typically involves getting significant piece activity for Black on the Q-side.
  15. Joined
    09 Mar '06
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 00:07
    Yo considero que la defensa Siciliana es muy fuerte pero tambien peligrosa para las negras si no juegan preciso. Mi variante favorita es 1- e4-c5, 2- Cf3-d6, 3- d4-c5*d4, 4- Cf3*d4-Cf6, 5- Cc3-a6, 6- ...-...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree