Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    24 Oct '06 14:41
    X marks the spot(s) in this mate in two that I use with a lot of beginning chess players.

2. 24 Oct '06 14:50
    I'm rather worried that it took me two minutes to find the answer!
  3. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    24 Oct '06 14:53
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I'm rather worried that it took me two minutes to find the answer!
    Did you find all three solutions?
  4. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    24 Oct '06 15:18
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    X marks the spot(s) in this mate in two that I use with a lot of beginning chess players.

[fen]8/3Q4/8/8/8/3K4/8/3k4 w - - 0 1[/fen]
    Clever.

D
  5. 24 Oct '06 15:38 / 1 edit
    I only found one solution, I generally stop looking when I've found a forced mate! I'll look for the others now.

Ok. Other two solutions didn't take too long to find! I wish there was only one answer though.
  6. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    24 Oct '06 16:11
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    Aha, Looked at it before and thought was just one answer. See the other 2 now you've said. Nice 1 .It's all about the X
    I find the X and three solutions to be a useful heuristic for teaching the pattern recognition that enables chess skill.

Of course, among chess problem composers more than one solution means the problem is cooked.
  7. Standard member leisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    24 Oct '06 16:42
    Interesting. Of course it's also mate in two if it's black to move as well. Two's the magic number!
  8. Standard member Agerg
    The 'edit'or
    24 Oct '06 16:53
    crikey..I found the *1* solution pretty quickly...took me a bit longer with the other *2*
  9. 24 Oct '06 18:32
    I also stop when I find mate. Number 2 was easy to find based on the first one. However I would have never found number 3 without the mention of the X. Good teaching method.
  10. 26 Oct '06 13:06
    *ahem* Yep, that took me about 4-5 minutes to find the other two.
    It shouldn't be that hard considering there's only two moves for black!
  11. Standard member Natural Science
    blunderer of pawns
    26 Oct '06 13:30
    Very nice. Had me seriously doubting my abilities as a chess player for a few anxious minutes.
  12. Standard member malinga
    That would be me
    26 Oct '06 14:18
    Help. I see 2 when nmoving Q to bdark square beside K and has mate off either diagonal. Where's the other?

13. Standard member Natural Science
    blunderer of pawns
    26 Oct '06 14:22 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by malinga
    Help. I see 2 when nmoving Q to bdark square beside K and has mate off either diagonal. Where's the other?

Hint: it's the only other square from which the queen can reach both a1 and g1 (the two squares it can reach in the first solution you found).
  14. 26 Oct '06 14:35 / 1 edit
    g7/a7?
  15. 26 Oct '06 14:40
    Originally posted by st00p1dfac3
    g7/a7?
    Those are 2. Now make an X between them and g1/a1.