The World Championship Predictions

The World Championship Predictions

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

e4

Moves
19 Apr 12

So who will win? Chessbase has been asking around.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8088

Karpov has a slight leaning towards Gelfand.

Kasparov thinks that neither of them are the strongest players in the world.

Svidler and Kramnik are sitting on the fence and Korchnoi reckons the
player who has the best computer will win.

So we start our own predictions thread.

I'll kick off with Gelfand for no other reason than I'd like to see a change.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
19 Apr 12
1 edit

Originally posted by greenpawn34

So ...[text shortened]... tions thread.

I think it will be Anand just since he has not as much to prove as gelfand does and a lot of people agree that nerves are a major factor.

rc

Moves
19 Apr 12
1 edit

I think it will be Vishy because he's born in the same year as me as are all the
greatest chess players and his wife is Indian and so is mine. I hope to all goodness
that he wears something other than a blue plumbers suit. Something Indian like a
Nehru collar!

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
19 Apr 12

Korchnoi should send in FPT. 😕

v

Moves
19 Apr 12

Anand, just for the reason that I want the World Champion to be in the top 10 strongest chess players in the world of the moment(even this might not be true anymore). I would not enjoy having as WCh someone who might not be in top 50...

W

Moves
19 Apr 12

rooting for Gelfand but think Anand because he's the better player and his experience with WC matches will be a factor too.

q

Moves
19 Apr 12

Anand by 2 points.
Not sure Gelfand will win a game

T
I am become Death

Moves
19 Apr 12

Aronian.

P

Moves
19 Apr 12

Originally posted by vipiu
Anand, just for the reason that I want the World Champion to be in the top 10 strongest chess players in the world of the moment(even this might not be true anymore). I would not enjoy having as WCh someone who might not be in top 50...
Gelfand is not in top 50 strongest chess players of the world??? 😲

N

Moves
19 Apr 12

Gelfand's currently ranked mid 20's, I believe.

As an enthusiast of the game and an unrepentant patzer it makes very little difference to me whether he's rated 20th or 120th in the world and if his opponent is not 1st but merely in the top 5. At the end of the day, this will be a match between two extremely strong chess players that will generate a lot of publicity, many entertaining games and a lot of quality analysis. I plan to enjoy every second of it.

W

Moves
19 Apr 12

22nd,32 points ahead of 51st,just checked

the highest ranked player of my birthyear is 44th.Shirov of all people!
There's always room for pointless trivia 🙂

rc

Moves
19 Apr 12

Originally posted by Wilfriedva
22nd,32 points ahead of 51st,just checked

the highest ranked player of my birthyear is 44th.Shirov of all people!
There's always room for pointless trivia 🙂
you should have been born in 1969 the year of Luv, like me and Anand, oh the slings and arrows of cruel fate! 😛

w

on your backrank!

Moves
19 Apr 12

anand for sure. gelfand would be a big surprise, no?

e

Jerusalem

Moves
19 Apr 12
2 edits

Originally posted by vipiu
Hey friends u forgot something: Gelfand was in top 10 during last 15, may be 20 years. He has sixth rating in the world before the world cup. Chuki, Svidler, Pono, Kamsky, Grischuk , Shirov, Radja, Gashimov, Polgar, Karjakin, Mamedyarov and more than 100 another very strong GM-s tried to win the cup and get the last ticket to the candidates matches. Gelfand came there to win and he won the cup. Since that, he has only one goal - to become the World Champion. No one believed, that he can win the candidates matches, but he played better than anyone else, showed us very interesting novelties, brilliant games, survived very difficult matches and games and became the winner. After winning the cand. matches Boris was very happy, but he told something like "i have no emotions now, i gonna prepare to challenge Vishy". He doesn't cares about rating (remeber his last game against Mamedyarov? He accepted a draw in spite of having material and positional advantage just because it gave him more time to rest before playing against next opponent!), he hides novelties, he "workes" about 13 hours a day.
One more thing: CHESS is everything for Gelfand - he lives more than 10 years in Israel but he has no driving license and he never tried to learn Hebrew only because he has no time for all of this, he must improve his chess level!! He is smart, intellectual chess fanatic. He LOVES chess, chess is his life. No doubt Vishy is more talanted but less fanatic. After all of this, from my point of view Gelfand has a better chances and i guess (and hope) he'll become next World Champion.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
20 Apr 12

Originally posted by elady
Hey friends u forgot something: Gelfand was in top 10 during last 15, may be 20 years. He has sixth rating in the world before the world cup. Chuki, Svidler, Pono, Kamsky, Grischuk , Shirov, Radja, Gashimov, Polgar, Karjakin, Mamedyarov and more than 100 another very strong GM-s tried to win the cup and get the last ticket to the candidates matches. Gelfand ca ...[text shortened]... view Gelfand has a better chances and i guess (and hope) he'll become next World Champion.
I think I just hopped on the Gelfand bandwagon!