1. Joined
    30 Sep '11
    Moves
    16 Dec '13 18:17
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    Chess is something that puts you away from surrounding world, therefore a dangerous enterprise. Unless you are a wonderkind and naturally talented, you can go astray and become a weirdo, difficult to be told apart from a vagabond who play chess for 5 cents in Central Park.

If you "only" love chess and do not expect to be next World Champion, good for ...[text shortened]... c's boojs for begnners is not translated /Art of Attack in Chess is to advanced for beginners/).
    Hi Vandervelde,

Im already experiencing some of the traits, divorced and unshaven (at times) so its not looking good lol.

Thanks for your post

willy..............
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '11
    Moves
    16 Dec '13 18:24
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi Sirdubalot.

To Fianchetto means you develop your Bishop on b2,g2,b7 or g7.

[fen]8/5pbp/6p1/8/8/8/8/8 w - - 0 1[/fen]
    Usually by playing the relevant Knight's pawn forward one square.

Fianchetto is Italian for 'move played to flank'. (or something like that.)

Early writers on the game possibly referred to it as 'Indian Bishop Development' ...[text shortened]... ou explain why they will hold you in great awe and whisper
    your name in the corridors of power.
    Hello again Greenpawn,

Thanks for your post it made me smile and thanks for explaining to me.

I was considering the corridors of power, I don't really ever see myself walking them if I am honest, well not in the next few years anyway.

I would honestly say, if I was now asked, that a kind person on RHP explained Fianchetto to me.

Many thanks.

Willy............
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '11
    Moves
    20 Dec '13 16:43
    Hello again,

So I have been enjoying working through the Irving Chernev book, each game at a time over and over.

I started to wonder and look back through some other games and even some of mine, I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on something I have noticed. White is castled and as far as I can see there is no threat, this is the position in the Von Scheve - Teichmann game, then white plays h3.

Now reading in the Chernev book this move creates a weakness in the pawns in front of the King, it quotes Tarrasch "You should never, unless of necessity or to gain an advantage move the pawns in front of a castled king." "Its better to submit to the pin - a temporary inconvenience - than to prevent it by a move that loosens the position of the pawns defending the King and weakens the structure permanently.

In this game this move (h3) for white leads to an attack which ultimately cost white the game, well thats how it appears.

What I find puzzling is this why would a player of this quality make such a move, and deviate from whats seems to be rule not to break pawn structure.

The same move occures in the Liubarski - Soultanbeieff game.

Hope that everyone is well, and as usual many thanks for all the help and advice.

Willy...............🙂🙂
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    20 Dec '13 17:07
    Originally posted by Sirdubalot
    Hello again,

So I have been enjoying working through the Irving Chernev book, each game at a time over and over.

I started to wonder and look back through some other games and even some of mine, I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on something I have noticed. White is castled and as far as I can see there is no threat, this is the position in the ...[text shortened]... ryone is well, and as usual many thanks for all the help and advice.

Willy...............🙂🙂
    "Every pawn move is a weakening move."

I believe that it was one of Romanlab's videos that I heard this said. Pretty much every move in chess is both a positive and a negative. h3 is generally a prophylactic move which has its negative consequence.

The only time a move has negative consequences is when your opponent is able to take advantage.

Greenpawn posted a thread concerning the percentage outcomes of games based on a certain move comparing high rated and low rated players' games. It turn out in his study that a move that was generally a losing move at higher levels was actually a winning move at low levels. I found that thread very enlightening.
  5. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    20 Dec '13 19:531 edit
    Von Scheve vs Teichmann

http://www.playtheimmortalgame.com/chess/grandmaster-games/viewmastergame.php?pgnid=180833&subject=Theodor_Von_Scheve_vs_Richard_Teichmann

6. Subscriberflyingcod
    Berg Katze
    The Edge of Sanity
    Moves
    02 Jan '14 15:49
    Hi Willy/Sirdubalot,

Seems like you have discovered chess later in life like myself (and you beat me in fact a year ago!) If I can be so bold to offer what has helped me so far:

Chess for Dummies: I try to read a few pages a week and digest it, as it is a lot to learn. My wife bought me a proper chess set from Regency chess and even after 1 week I am seeing better moves that I did just playing looking at a screen. I also enjoyed a biog of Bobby Fischer called "End Game", gives an amazing insight to everything about Chess (and BF)

Be happy if anyone else can recommend other chess biogs.

Good luck and hit me up for a rematch! 😀

fc
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '11
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 14:27
    Originally posted by Ragwort
    Von Scheve vs Teichmann

http://www.playtheimmortalgame.com/chess/grandmaster-games/viewmastergame.php?pgnid=180833&subject=Theodor_Von_Scheve_vs_Richard_Teichmann

[pgn]
    [Event "Berlin Jubilee"]
    [Site "Berlin"]
    [Date "1907.??.??"]
    [Round "9"]
    [White "Von Scheve, Theodor"]
    [Black "Teichmann, Richard"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [WhiteElo ""]
    [BlackElo ""] ...[text shortened]... ut I have seen analysis on the net that suggests...} 18. Bxf7 {may save the game!} 0-1
    [/pgn]
    Why break the pawns at move 9 with h3, I just don't see why I'm afraid.

Willy.....
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 14:33

Willy.....
    great one you may be interested in this, I have not tried it myself but many people have spoken highly of it, once again its completely free,

http://chesscademy.com/

regards Robbie
  9. Joined
    16 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 21:49

Willy.....
    Probably just to prevent the Bg4 pin
  10. Joined
    30 Sep '11
    Moves
    02 Feb '14 19:19
    Hello everyone hope all is well.

I've been continuing my reading, and in addition have been trying to find a local chess club that maybe taking on new members. Doing a search on google my nearest club is the Letchworth and Hitchin club, I wondered if any fellow members on RHP have any further information on this club, I wasn't sure if I could just turn up unannounced.

Many thanks in advance.

Willy.......

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree