1. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 07:31
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    Thanks for clearing up the dovetail and swallowtail mates, it makes sense when you see the pieces behind a king looking like the forks of a swallows tail. I have done them many times, in fact I just finished a game with one forced Game 4226604

More usual for that dovetail is the one where there are two pawns which the king is stuck in front of when it gets mated (I dont know how to create a mini board but could show you otherwise)
    that final position is almost as wierd as this one

Game 4253320
  2. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 08:57
    Originally posted by Mahout
    "Winning Chess Puzzles for Kids" by Geoff Coakley...kid friendly (7-13), large print, cartoons, quiz questions, mates in one, mates in two, tactics puzzles etc...same author has also done "Winning Chess Strategy for Kids" and "Winning Chess Exercises for kids"

Publisher is: Chess'n Math Association - www.chess-math.org
    Thanks for the tips, but I can't seem to find those books online.

D
  3. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 10:52
    Originally posted by Ragnorak

D
    I got a couple of Coakley's books through my Amazon.com here in the USA. If your Amazon doesn't carry them, you could try ordering directly from Strategy Games in Canada. (Strategy Games is owned and operated by the Chess'n Math Association.)

The Strategy Games URL is http://strategygames.ca/

Once there, clicking on the online store link will take you to http://chesstalk.com/boutique/store/

Once you're in the online store, click on the "Schools - Clubs" link, then the "Teaching material" link. Coakley's books are at the bottom of that page.

Note that all prices are in Canadian dollars.
  4. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 15:23
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    I got a couple of Coakley's books through my Amazon.com here in the USA. If your Amazon doesn't carry them, you could try ordering directly from Strategy Games in Canada. (Strategy Games is owned and operated by the Chess'n Math Association.)

The Strategy Games URL is http://strategygames.ca/

Once there, clicking on the online store link will take you ...[text shortened]... books are at the bottom of that page.

Note that all prices are in Canadian dollars.
    Are they worth the effort or is there similar books which may be a bit easier to obtain? I'll cost them from there in the meantime.

Another question re coaching. Currently, I'm using a laptop and overhead projector with Chesspad to display positions. This works fine, but I was wondering is there similar software out there where I can highlight squares/draw lines, etc while playing through a position?

Also, for printing my handouts, I currently use DiagTransfer, which is a great piece of software, apart from 1 thing: It's atrociously buggy and I can't save my positions. Anybody got any other tips?

Cheers,

D
  5. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 15:29
    You can buy large demonstration boards, or even make one - it cant be that tricky to do I wouldnt have thought.

Also I vaguely recall a book by antoly karpov which was aimed at kids - I think it was produced by disney as well.
  6. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 15:32
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    You can buy large demonstration boards, or even make one - it cant be that tricky to do I wouldnt have thought.

Also I vaguely recall a book by antoly karpov which was aimed at kids - I think it was produced by disney as well.
    The Club has a demo board, but I prefer not having to spend time setting up each position, and am very happy with the projector and having my positions preloaded in pgn format.

My question was regarding software where I can highlight open lines with arrows, or scope of control of pieces, or tactical bases of double attacks via marking the square, etc.

D
  7. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 15:43
    Oh yeah, I have seen that sort of thing before. You sometimes get it on chess lectures.
  8. Joined
    30 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 15:44
    The Club has a demo board, but I prefer not having to spend time setting up each position, and am very happy with the projector and having my positions preloaded in pgn format.

My question was regarding software where I can highlight open lines with arrows, or scope of control of pieces, or tactical bases of double attacks via marking the square, etc.

D
    There was a program for chess diagrams that I think had some special symbols like arrows, etc. Here is the site (though it is still in beta mode):
    http://www.nostalghia.de/download.php
  9. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 15:46

D
    You can draw arrows and color squares with ChessBase and Fritz.
  10. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 16:25
    Are they worth the effort or is there similar books which may be a bit easier to obtain? I'll cost them from there in the meantime.
    I don't really know. I got Coakley's exercise and strategy books (both very good, btw) for myself, but I didn't get his puzzle book. Buying kids' books for an old fart like myself? Sure, I'm not too proud, if I can learn from them. 🙂

Apparently, Coakley's puzzle book is the easiest of the three, and since I already had some tactics books like John Bain's "Chess Tactics For Students", I thought it would be overkill. Maybe Mahout has a more detailed opinion on Coakley's puzzle book or alternate suggestions for you.
  11. London
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 22:45

D
    I bought mine from The London Chess Centre - www.chess.co.uk probably the simplest (if a little old fashioned) thing to do is call - (0)207 388 2404 - them and ask if they have them in stock...they have always given me a reliable service when I've bought over the phone. The books not cheap although I do recommend it/them for your purpose ...but worth noting that the covers good but quality of the paper inside is quite cheap and they're not state of the art grapics...but still kid friendly.
  12. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 00:37
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    You can draw arrows and color squares with ChessBase and Fritz.
    I have chessbase with Fritz 7, but can't seem to find the menu for drawing arrows.

I've also downloaded Chessbase Lite, and can't find the functionality there. Do you think I will have to buy a newer version, or am I just missing the functionality?

D
  13. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 00:45
    I have chessbase with Fritz 7, but can't seem to find the menu for drawing arrows.

I've also downloaded Chessbase Lite, and can't find the functionality there. Do you think I will have to buy a newer version, or am I just missing the functionality?

D
    in chessbase to make an arrow all you have to do is click on where you want the arrow to start and then click where you want it to end.(click on the square next to the piece that you are drawing the arrow for)
  14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 03:301 edit

D
    Hold down the alt key and click on a square, it turns green; alt + ctrl for yellow; alt + shift + ctrl for red. For arrows, hold down the same keys and click and drag from one square to another.

It seems to work the same in both Fritz and ChessBase.

It doesn't work in ChessBase Lite, at least not the old version. I haven't tested the new version of CB Lite, as there is no need with the full program.
  15. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 16:14
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Hold down the alt key and click on a square, it turns green; alt + ctrl for yellow; alt + shift + ctrl for red. For arrows, hold down the same keys and click and drag from one square to another.

It seems to work the same in both Fritz and ChessBase.

It doesn't work in ChessBase Lite, at least not the old version. I haven't tested the new version of CB Lite, as there is no need with the full program.
    You are an absolute star!

I read through the Help and went through every menu item looking for that.

It also works in the free version, CBLite2007.

D

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree