1. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    03 Oct '06 17:411 edit
    Topalov tops the FIDE rating list at 2813 but has played 0 games. Is is time for the FIDE ratings to be reviewed? How many times do we see players performing poorly but then their games are not included for ratings?

Is this going to be like the FIFA ratings where England are top ten but have not won the World Cup since 1966?
  2. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    03 Oct '06 17:441 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    03 Oct '06 17:59
    Originally posted by z00t
    Topalov tops the FIDE rating list at 2813 but has played 0 games. Is is time for the FIDE ratings to be reviewed? How many times do we see players performing poorly but then their games are not included for ratings?

Is this going to be like the FIFA ratings where England are top ten but have not won the World Cup since 1966?
    Thats 0 games in the past three months. I see no problem with that. When it streches to a year of inactivity, then we have issues (and at that point FIDE declares them inactive and removes them). Besides Toppy will probably see a small rating drop after the WCC is done (assuming they draw out).
  4. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    03 Oct '06 18:01
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    Consistent Quarter Finalist tho (inluding the most recent world cup), which makes the place in the top ten acceptable, does it not? I know the thread isn't intended to be about football but I must jump on your comparison there.
    So you would justify England being ranked above Italy on the basis of Quater-finals? See http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/index/0,2548,All-Sep-2006,00.html What if FIFA took finals into account?

In short FIFA's ranking is laaughable no wonder the alternative rankings introduced see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Rankings

If Italy or Greece win the European Championship or the World Cup, that should carry some weight shouldn't it?
  5. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    03 Oct '06 18:092 edits

6. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    03 Oct '06 18:13
    Soccer is so weak.
  7. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    03 Oct '06 18:13
    So you would justify England being ranked above Italy on the basis of Quater-finals? How many times have Italy won the World Cup (finals)?
  8. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    03 Oct '06 18:14

9. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    03 Oct '06 18:22
    In short FIDE risks becoming a laughing stock like the FIFA rankings. Seeing Nunn's contribution on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELO_rating_system I would welcome the deflation of ratings and penalties for few/no games played. There is no meaning in players like Topalov/Anand being ranked 2800+ when they go to Olympiads and get their teeth knocked out by much lower ranked players.
  10. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    03 Oct '06 19:29
    the big news in the ratings is that Carslen is 2698!!!!! 21st in the world!!!!
  11. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    04 Oct '06 17:48
    Originally posted by zebano
    Thats 0 games in the past three months. I see no problem with that. When it streches to a year of inactivity, then we have issues (and at that point FIDE declares them inactive and removes them). Besides Toppy will probably see a small rating drop after the WCC is done (assuming they draw out).
    Is each game rated? Or is it just the result of the MATCH which is rated?
  12. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    04 Oct '06 17:57
    Originally posted by z00t
    (This thread is rapidly having little to do with chess!)

By that logic there would be five teams in the top ten.

And I would point out that England appear at number 4 in the alternative rankings you gave, exactly where they appear in the FIFA ratings.
  13. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    04 Oct '06 19:34
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Is each game rated? Or is it just the result of the MATCH which is rated?
    I believe FiDE now rate individual games though I can't find the link. In the case of a match/tournament they would take all the games played. It is a shame that players can selectively choose which games to be included for ratings.

Originally posted by mtthw
    (This thread is rapidly having little to do with chess!)

By that logic there would be five teams in the top ten.

And I would point out that England appear at number 4 in the alternative rankings you gave, exactly where they appear in the FIFA ratings.

The alternative rankings are rubbish. Football politics is becoming as ridiculous as boxing. What is your contribution to the chess ratings saga?
  14. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    04 Oct '06 19:40
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Soccer is so weak.
    Yeah, I know! Rugby is best!
  15. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    04 Oct '06 19:41
    Originally posted by alexstclaire
    the big news in the ratings is that Carslen is 2698!!!!! 21st in the world!!!!
    Magnus? Well, maybe he'll be World Champion soon, you know?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree