1. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    19 Sep '06 15:21
    Ever since he was crowned, Topolov's reign has given the FIDE championship system something it never earned and does not deserve: legitimacy. His victory will be understood by many as vindication of their illegitimate run of champions: Karpov, Khalifman, Anand, Ponomariov, Kasimdzhinov. Make no mistake, the FIDE leaders do not believe that Topolov is the challenger. He is defending his title, and theirs.

If Topolov wins, we might see any number of possible future championship contests. We can only predict that it will be unpredictable. Match play for the crown becomes a historical practice, but no longer a living and vital tradition.

If Kramnik wins, a proposed match remains the trump card in future negotiations between the champion, the challengers, and their emissaries. The tradition of a run of many games (even if only 12) at classical time controls retains its much deserved supremacy as chess's most notable venue.
  2. Under Cover
    Moves
    19 Sep '06 15:40
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I certainly hope there is a clear winner after 12 games; the idea of the World Championship being decided by blitz games is revolting.
    Completely with you on that.
  3. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '06 15:51
    I certainly hope there is a clear winner after 12 games; the idea of the World Championship being decided by blitz games is revolting.
    Agreed. If it's drawn, I'd prefer either:

- tied series, champion retains the title (but it's a unification match, so that doesn't really work)

- sudden death at classical time limits

Shame that'll never happen. I liked the idea of the old open-ended matches (first to six wins, that sort of thing).
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Sep '06 15:56
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Ever since he was crowned, Topolov's reign has given the FIDE championship system something it never earned and does not deserve: legitimacy. His victory will be understood by many as vindication of their illegitimate run of champions: Karpov, Khalifman, Anand, Ponomariov, Kasimdzhinov. Make no mistake, the FIDE leaders do not believe that Topolov is the cha ...[text shortened]... at classical time controls retains its much deserved supremacy as chess's most notable venue.
    I suspect that if Topo wins he won't allow himself to be FIDE's puppet. Match play is still the only legitimate way to decide the World Championship and if FIDE tries to get him to do something different, I suspect he'll bolt like others have done. Either way, FIDE is a clown show and will do what clowns do but that in no way will affect the legitimacy of Topo's title if he wins or lend legitimacy to "championships" that were created and not the result of the best player winning a match against the second best.
  5. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    19 Sep '06 16:37
    If it does come down to that, would it not favor Topolov simply for physical reasons? (arthritis)
  6. The sky
    Moves
    19 Sep '06 16:44
    Originally posted by zebano
    One question at http://www.fide.com/news.asp?id=1081

I found this..

OPENING CEREMONY - 21 September 2006, 7.00 p.m.
    DAY 2 - 22 September 2006 - REST DAY
    DAY 3 - 23 September 2006, 3.00 p.m - GAME 1
    DAY 4 - 24 September 2006, 3.00 p.m - GAME 2
    DAY 5 - 25 September 2006 - REST DAY
    DAY 6 - 26 September 2006, 3.00 p.m. - GAME 3
    DAY 7 - 27 September 20 ...[text shortened]... 6 games and black for the last six (and vice versa)? Why would they not alternate every game?
    Could it be that they play W B W B W B - B W B W B W (and B W B W B W - W B W B W B respectively)? Calling that "reversal of colours" would admittedly be a bit weird, as it would be the only time they would play the same colour two times, but the reversal would be that the player who always had white after a rest day will then always get black after a rest day. But this is pure speculation. It just would make more sense to me as a system than having to play the same colour six times in a row.
  7. Sandwich Land
    Moves
    19 Sep '06 16:50
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Could it be that they play W B W B W B - B W B W B W (and B W B W B W - W B W B W B respectively)? Calling that "reversal of colours" would admittedly be a bit weird, as it would be the only time they would play the same colour two times, but the reversal would be that the player who always had white after a rest day will then always get black after a rest d ...[text shortened]... ould make more sense to me as a system than having to play the same colour six times in a row.
    That seems best.

If someone got white first 6 games they would win easy. Remember at that level win with white draw with black. Even if white only won the first 4 games, the phycological effect would throw the guy with black first 6 out of his mind!
  8. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '06 17:07
    Originally posted by Caro Kann
    That seems best.

If someone got white first 6 games they would win easy. Remember at that level win with white draw with black. Even if white only won the first 4 games, the phycological effect would throw the guy with black first 6 out of his mind!
    I dont know, I'd say he'd be pretty damn confident if he's racked up 4 wins with black.
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    19 Sep '06 17:47
    Uspeh, Topalov!!!!
  10. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    19 Sep '06 19:18
    Originally posted by vipiu
    Probably most of us are supporting Topalov...we do not like scared chess players that refuse to play.
    RIGHT ON! What he said!
  11. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    19 Sep '06 19:20
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Agreed. If it's drawn, I'd prefer either:

- tied series, champion retains the title (but it's a unification match, so that doesn't really work)

- sudden death at classical time limits

Shame that'll never happen. I liked the idea of the old open-ended matches (first to six wins, that sort of thing).
    Excuse me for asking this question, but what is classical time on a chess clock?
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    19 Sep '06 19:53
    Originally posted by powershaker
    Excuse me for asking this question, but what is classical time on a chess clock?
    a minimum of 2 hours per 40 moves
  13. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    19 Sep '06 22:44
    I would like Kramnik to win. A Kramnik win will vindicate his World Chess Title. Will one of them be given draw odds. It would be nice if the Champion was never given draw odds.
  14. washington
    Moves
    19 Sep '06 22:47
    i think that since fischer always thought there was some conspiracy goin on he was able to stay inside studying books. thats all he ever did was read chess books over and over. no wonder he was so great. but i'm rooting for topolav.
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    19 Sep '06 23:59
    Personally, I'm rooting for Topalov. I much prefer his style of play to Kramnik's.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree