1. Standard memberWiabj
    The Black Swan
    Oss
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 16:28
    I set my cards on Kramnik, the best and sympathic player!
  2. Joined
    05 Apr '06
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 16:46
    Kramnik is more experienced in world championships than Topalov
    my bet is on Kramnik
  3. Under Cover
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 17:45
    Game 1 to Kramnik. It looked like Topalov could have taken a draw due to repeated position around move 40 or so (not looking at the game score right now), but showed a fighting spirit and insited on playing for a win. Took a big risk that didn't pay off, but I like the fact that he wanted to force the issue instead of just accepting a draw. Turned out decisive for Kramnik in this case, and I have to wonder if he was less interested in getting the point as he was in trying to set the tone for the match.
  4. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 17:561 edit
    i watched the game, topalov DID have a draw!!!! he was a pawn down and still tried to attack and go for a win, i cant believe it, he had some great idea but when it came down to it he was still a pawn down....i am very disapointed🙁 but Topa can still win, 11 games left!!
  5. Joined
    17 Dec '04
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 18:24
    Originally posted by alexstclaire
    i watched the game, topalov DID have a draw!!!! he was a pawn down and still tried to attack and go for a win, i cant believe it, he had some great idea but when it came down to it he was still a pawn down....i am very disapointed🙁 but Topa can still win, 11 games left!!
    Exactly, a pawn down. Go for the draw!
  6. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 18:31
    Originally posted by alexstclaire
    I agree, he made a childish mistake. To lose the first game is a bad start, he should have taken the draw, he was playing black and he was a pawn down. If he'd drawn it would put pressure on Kramnik to win with the black pieces, which is obviously advantagious in a Match like this, it's the flipping World championship!! He might never get another chance to play for this prize and he's throwing caution to the wind.
  7. London
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 19:16
    Doesn't Topalov always lose a few at the start, then win six on the trot at the end?

Whilst Kramnik is probably thinking, just 11 draws to go...
  8. Tilburg
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 20:06
    what can I say more ? Let s wait before we can take conclusions !
  9. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 20:131 edit
    Originally posted by TommyC
    Doesn't Topalov always lose a few at the start, then win six on the trot at the end?

Whilst Kramnik is probably thinking, just 11 draws to go...
    Yes, he's done that. But Topalov became "world champion" (a title without credibility before he earned it) by winning 6 of 7, then drawing his way to the finish.

Kramnik's win today, and his 1.d4!! are both good news to serious chess players.
  10. London
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 21:20
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Yes, he's done that. But Topalov became "world champion" (a title without credibility before he earned it) by winning 6 of 7, then drawing his way to the finish.

Kramnik's win today, and his 1.d4!! are both good news to [b]serious
    chess players.[/b]
    My comment was a bit of a joke really. But today was a promising start for the rest of the match - competitive, interesting chess. Perhaps a bit nervous though - the game swinging from Kramnik to Topalov and finally back to Kramnik again. One point I did mean to imply is that Topalov - unlike Kramnik - is actually used to losing games. So maybe he's not psychologically damaged just yet, in spite of over-pressing with a draw in hand through a miscalculation.

I'm not really that surprised Kramnik opened 1. d4. Nf3 and c4 is all well and good when he doesn't want to lose a game in a tournament he's not got deep ambitions for, whilst I think his record with 1.e4 is relatively poor (and Topalov's Najdorf is getting good.) So that leaves... Probably Kramnik partly has been playing somewhat non-descript openings to keep his true hand close to his chest prior to this match, aswell.

Btw, anyone got any predictions for tomorrow?

I reckon we'll see a 5. Nc3 Petroff, and a draw.
  11. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 23:09
    Nice win for the Champion Kramnik.
  12. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 23:21
    Originally posted by tmetzler
    Then why do so many people admire (chess-wise) Fischer?
    That's me right there. I adore fischer as a chess player (CMON people he won the US championship with a perfect score once) But as a person, I think fischer is a sick racist.
  13. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 23:27
    Originally posted by TommyC
    Btw, anyone got any predictions for tomorrow?

I reckon we'll see a 5. Nc3 Petroff, and a draw.
    I think that's a good call, but it is good to recall that Topalov was the one player in San Luis with a repertoire that extends beyond 1.e4. (I'd like to say that's why he won.)

He could trot out 1.c4, as Fischer did in 1972.
  14. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 23:47
    Originally posted by YUG0slav
    That's me right there. I adore fischer as a chess player (CMON people he won the US championship with a perfect score once) But as a person, I think fischer is a sick racist.
    I think what he did to Taimanov and Larsen in 1971 and then to Spassky in 1972 is even more awesome. There seems to be so few great players that were nice guys.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 02:45
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    I agree, he made a childish mistake. To lose the first game is a bad start, he should have taken the draw, he was playing black and he was a pawn down. If he'd drawn it would put pressure on Kramnik to win with the black pieces, which is obviously advantagious in a Match like this, it's the flipping World championship!! He might never get another chance to play for this prize and he's throwing caution to the wind.
    The consensus seems to be that Topalov was justified in trying to play for the win with the first time control ending but that 57 ...... f5 was a game losing blunder. Kramnik's play was impeccable.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree