1. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 02:07
    i vote magnus carlsen makes a surprise appearence and mops the floor with them!!! if he doesn, give him five years and hell be a world champion!!! (topalov on the small chance magnus doesnt show up๐Ÿ™‚)
  2. Seattle
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 05:18
    Originally posted by zebano
    ...is like bragging because you beat up a cripple.
    hehe that reminds me of a good joke, anybody seen last comic standing?
  3. The sky
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 18:22
    Originally posted by alexstclaire
    i vote magnus carlsen makes a surprise appearence and mops the floor with them!!! if he doesn, give him five years and hell be a world champion!!! (topalov on the small chance magnus doesnt show up๐Ÿ™‚)
    I want to see him become the Norwegian champion first. He's currently struggling against his teacher.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 20:40
    I think it's a great matchup; Topalov the attacking and chance taker against the tough to beat Kramnik. Of course, these categories are over simplifications; there are plenty of boring draws played by Topalov and brilliancies played by Kramnik. But as general categories they fit.

I favor Kramnik slightly due to his greater match experience.
  5. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    21 Sep '06 02:30
    what are some sites to watch the matches? which is best?
  6. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    21 Sep '06 02:35
    Playchess will (I think) have live relays.
  7. The sky
    Moves
    21 Sep '06 15:26
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    I want to see him become the Norwegian champion first. He's currently struggling against his teacher.
    Good, good, he made it this time! But he wants to take a break now, so I doubt he'll make a surprise appearance at the match. ๐Ÿ˜‰
  8. Joined
    11 Sep '06
    Moves
    21 Sep '06 16:46
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I certainly hope there is a clear winner after 12 games; the idea of the World Championship being decided by blitz games is revolting.
    Now that I can agree with. Imagine someone winning in the armegeddon game? Yeesh.

I'm pulling for Topalov. Beyond this match, while I'd perfer to see them return to match play again...honestly, if they do round-robin tournaments for the World Championship, it doesn't bother me all that much. I'd definitely prefer it was a quadruple-RR rather than the double-RR they did last time.

The only reason I wouldn't mind a move away from match play deciding the world champion is that in my eyes, neither is anywhere near a perfect way of choosing a "best" player. Kramnik won his title fair and square, but he was never a better player than Kasparov. And I'm not so fond of tradition for the sake of tradition, so I don't have too strong an attachment to match play.

As long as we stay away from the KO format for the WC, and either the matches or final tournament is of sufficient length, I can live with that.
  9. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    21 Sep '06 22:49
    are you freakin serious??? hes been number one in the country for a while now. you gotta keep up on that๐Ÿ˜‰
  10. The sky
    Moves
    21 Sep '06 23:16
    are you freakin serious??? hes been number one in the country for a while now. you gotta keep up on that๐Ÿ˜‰
    http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3355
  11. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    21 Sep '06 23:202 edits
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Sep '06 23:33
    Championships decided by "blitz games" - PFFT!
  13. The sky
    Moves
    21 Sep '06 23:57
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Championships decided by "blitz games" - PFFT!
    It was decided by rapid games, not blitz games (although I think they would have had to play blitz tomorrow if it hadn't be decided today). But either way, I agree it's not a good idea.
  14. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 10:13
    Originally posted by OrangeKing
    I'm pulling for Topalov. Beyond this match, while I'd perfer to see them return to match play again...honestly, if they do round-robin tournaments for the World Championship, it doesn't bother me all that much. I'd definitely prefer it was a quadruple-RR rather than the double-RR they did last time.

The only reason I wouldn't mind a move away from matc ...[text shortened]... d either the matches or final tournament is of sufficient length, I can live with that.
    I think it's clear that match play and tournament play are different. I think it's important that the matchplay world championship is maintained, but I'd have no particular complaint about there also being a 'tournament world champion'.
  15. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 12:33
    fics will have the games relayed too. then there's the official site http://www.worldchess2006.com/main.asp?cat=4&id=918 but that kind of feeds usually have quite bad interfaces. we'll see how this one is when the first game starts...

I prefer fics, because it's free and it's nice to read what people are kibitzing...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree