Tutorial offered

Tutorial offered

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A

Moves
26 Oct 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
(he has taken the B, obviously, but what do you think I will do and why?)
Probs check with the knight planning to castle and take the pawn to have an open file for the rook.

Looking at it again though I may play d3 to protect the pawn then castle, threat is still there afterwards to check with the knight and castle.

Montréal, Québec

Moves
26 Oct 06
2 edits

Tell me about the gaps...........
(he has taken the B, obviously, but what do you think I will do and why?)
I would not have played that. But I think you are hoping that your rating difference will help you overcome. this is what i see :

6. Ng5+
7. 0-0
8. Qf3

and you have a good attack going on king side (on the "f" column). push foward your d pawn and your black bishop can join in.

i have not put thought into black's defense... I will meditate about it.

l

Milton Keynes, UK

Moves
26 Oct 06

I was going to ask for a tutorial but recently my rating has broken the 1400 barrier for the first time ever! 🙂

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
26 Oct 06

Originally posted by climb2high
I would not have played that. But I think you are hoping that your rating difference will help you overcome. this is what i see :

6. Ng5+
7. 0-0
8. Qf3

and you have a good attack going on king side (on the "f" column). push foward your d pawn and your black bishop can join in.

i have not put thought into black's defense... I will meditate about it.
... but I could do all of those without sacrificing the Bishop.

Montréal, Québec

Moves
26 Oct 06
1 edit

... but I could do all of those without sacrificing the Bishop.
well then, let's start over.

If black takes the bishop, which he did, you will probably want to check his king with you knight. (6. Ng5+ ) Black then retreats his king. You will want to bring your queen to h5 but black's knight on f6 is in your way. So you might want to trade f pawn for his e pawn, menacing his N.

or maybe checking his king with you N is just a waste of time. i dunno. i feel dumb...

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
26 Oct 06

5. BXf7?? was bad.

True it removes that protective f pawn, pulls the king onto the f file and messes up blacks castling but black can simply play Be7, Rf8 and Kg8 and he is safe.

It is bad because it is premature. 6. Ng5+ .. Kg8, 7. fXe .. NXe5 8. 0-0 achieves nothing and white has no other attacking play. You can sacrifice on f7 in the Kings Gambit and many other openings but it is important to complete your development first.

5. Nc3, 5. d3, 5. 0-0 or even fXe would all have been better moves. My first choice would have been 5. Nc3 when 5. ... Bg4, 6. 0-0 .. Nd4, 7. d3 with equality is normal.

Black now has to exploit this mistake and find a way to capitalise on his material advantage.

So! What should blacks plan be?

Montréal, Québec

Moves
26 Oct 06

5. BXf7?? was bad. (...)

Solidify his position around his king. here's my guess :

Be7, Rf8, Kg8,

black will need to protect the a2-g8 diagonal. and then attack on king side.

c

Moves
26 Oct 06
1 edit

5. BXf7?? was bad.

True it removes that protective f pawn, pulls the king onto the f file and messes up blacks castling but black can simply play Be7, Rf8 and Kg8 and he is safe.

It is bad because it is premature. 6. Ng5+ .. Kg8, 7. fXe .. NXe5 8. 0-0 achieves nothing and white has no other attacking play. You can sacrifice on f7 in the Kings Gambi ...[text shortened]... stake and find a way to capitalise on his material advantage.

Game 2277752

I even blundered with 15.Kf2??

I think that my sacrifice on f7 was completely sound here, anybody care to prove me wrong?

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
26 Oct 06

Originally posted by cmsMaster
Game 2277752

I even blundered with 15.Kf2??

I think that my sacrifice on f7 was completely sound here, anybody care to prove me wrong?
You were kind of forced into it but you did have more pieces in play.

... the point of this lesson is that sacrifices can work but development comes first. My opponent must now capitalise on my bad move.

c

Moves
26 Oct 06
1 edit

... the point of this lesson is that sacrifices can work but development comes first. My opponent must now capitalise on my bad move.
a3 at any point before it would have protected it. I knew someone would tell me I was forced, but obviously I had ample time to try and get it to a safe home.

I understand your lesson, it's a good one, an important thing to note is that in exchange for the bishop I got the initiative, two pawns, and destroyed black's kingside position. Obviously 15.Kf2?? should have ruined everything, but my opponent blundered. Notice how 15.Kf2?? hands the initiative back to black and allows him to get a strong attack. The initiative is not something that should be underestimated, I gave away the equivalent of a pawn for it, and once again, I think it was totally sound. Back to your bad move...

c

Moves
26 Oct 06

In the present position I'd play dxe5 to open the d file for the queen and allow the dark squared bishop to develop. I haven't really been reading this thread - am I allowed to guess moves?

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
26 Oct 06

Originally posted by cmsMaster
In the present position I'd play dxe5 to open the d file for the queen and allow the dark squared bishop to develop. I haven't really been reading this thread - am I allowed to guess moves?
The idea is I am trying to get players around 1400 thinking. You can give your ideas (with reasoning as its the thought processes that really matter) - in this position after whites "bad" sacrifice what should blacks plan be?

c

Moves
26 Oct 06

The idea is I am trying to get players around 1400 thinking. You can give your ideas (with reasoning as its the thought processes that really matter) - in this position after whites "bad" sacrifice what should blacks plan be?
I'm almost 1600, so I'll try not to ruin it for others.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
27 Oct 06

Originally posted by climb2high
Solidify his position around his king. here's my guess :

Be7, Rf8, Kg8,

black will need to protect the a2-g8 diagonal. and then attack on king side.
Important not to lose sight of defense but rather negative. He is a B up and being timid will not win it for black.

Black needs a plan to win rather than a plan to defend as white does not have enough pieces in the attack due to his premature sacrifice.

R

Moves
27 Oct 06
1 edit

black needs to attack.

looking quickly (not much time) bringing the white bishop out to pin the knight onto the queen, and respectivly, using the black bishop to put white in check, would be my inital thoughts.
Theres a pawn for gain on e4.

He may want to start thinking about getting his king somewhere safe as well. (not a priority due to whites undeveloped position, just contingency plan)