Tutorial offered

Tutorial offered

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
27 Oct 06
1 edit

Not to crash DF's thread but if anyone wants help looking through their games id be happy to go through the games offering any help/advice I can. Because im lazy and prefer instant feedback/dialog to any advice/ideas it would be best to do it on playchess's training and teaching rooms.

Edit: Probably best to do a simlar thing to DF in the way of subscribers only and say max 1500ish rating. 🙂

R

Moves
27 Oct 06

grr, silly suscriber rule.
nobody realised im here for good yet? ah.
how much does it cost to suscribe again? might have to live of days old food from the chip shop i work at.

Moves
27 Oct 06

😛 Do you have a playchess account? Subscriber rule isnt that importaint as long as you have games against players your level in longer time controls.

R

Moves
28 Oct 06

nah, i dont have a playchess acount. like i said, im a busy man, i thought one chess site would satisfy me 😛
would you advise getting one?

and i see horsie played Bc5+
Gives him the advantage of not only being a piece up, but forcing white to defend, when its normally the over way round.
Its hard for me to see the next move now.
Pawn on e4 is unprotected, but its small fry.
with a castle out of the option, maybe bring out the rook to get blacks king a bit safer? (or is this still to early?)

R

Moves
01 Nov 06

bump bump.

just wanted to check in on this.

been following the game, and loving it. would like someone else to anaylise the game with me tho. im learning, but i never know when im going wrong.
9w.e2 (threats check and winning a bishop)
9b.e6 (reconises threat and protects against)
and all moves after seem to be white trying to reproduce the conditions where he could gain a piece.

but how many moves will both players be looking ahead here?
when i look at the board, i see the absoulte move of completing the trade, so not to lose the piece advantage. But is this wrong? or is this just one of those moves that there is no thought required?

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
02 Nov 06
2 edits

Another key position in Game 2660753 for you 1400s to think about.

As you can see black did play Bc5+ and 8. Bg4. After I played 9. Qe2 black played Be6 because he was worried about Qc4+.

Was he right to worry about Qc4+?
If so was this the best way to defend against it?
If Be3 was best, why, if not best why?
If Be3 was a good move does that mean Bg5 was a bad move?
If Bg5 was bad what should black have played and why?
What should white do now?
(try and think about these without looking at the game)

After whites reply how would you assess this position?

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
02 Nov 06

Originally posted by R3aPeI2
bump bump.

just wanted to check in on this.

been following the game, and loving it. would like someone else to anaylise the game with me tho. im learning, but i never know when im going wrong.
9w.e2 (threats check and winning a bishop)
9b.e6 (reconises threat and protects against)
and all moves after seem to be white trying to reproduce the conditio ...[text shortened]... antage. But is this wrong? or is this just one of those moves that there is no thought required?
I needed to look at least 6 moves ahead from the position after blacks 8.... Bg4 before deciding Qe2 was best and the same again after 9. ... Be3 because it is all tactics here.

c

Moves
02 Nov 06

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
Another key position in Game 2660753 for you 1400s to think about.

[fen]r2q3r/ppp2kpp/2n1bn2/2b1p3/4P3/5N2/PPPPQ1PP/RNB2R1K[/fen]

As you can see black did play Bc5+ and 8. Bg4. After I played 9. Qe2 black played Be6 because he was worried about Qc4+.

If B ...[text shortened]... out these without looking at the game)

After whites reply how would you assess this position?
I know you're inviting 1400s to comment, but I can't help wondering...

I don't understand what you mean when you ask if Be3 or Bg5 are good moves or otherwise. White's bishop is still locked in by its own d-pawn?

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
02 Nov 06
2 edits

Originally posted by ckoh1965
I know you're inviting 1400s to comment, but I can't help wondering...

I don't understand what you mean when you ask if Be3 or Bg4 are good moves or otherwise. White's bishop is still locked in by its own d-pawn?
White played an unsound sacrifice with Bf7+ and black has a significant material and spacial advantage but black will only win if he exploits that advantage to the full.

The matter to be addressed and about what I want you to think is "Is black exploiting his advantage or is he allowing white to get back into the game?" You are absolutely right in that white has weaknesses because his sacrifice was premature but, unless those weaknesses are exploited, white could get back into the game due to the exposed nature of the black king.

What I am trying to get you to think about is how best to exploit those weaknesses and the question for now is were blacks moves Bg4 and Be6 the best way to go about this. If not why not and what could he have done better?

At the moment black should win this but how to win is what matters. Can you do it against a player rated 600 points above you? If you can then you will succeed against a player 200 points above you and your rating will be on its way to 1600.

c

Moves
02 Nov 06

[b]What I am trying to get you to think about is how best to exploit those weaknesses and the question for now is were blacks moves Bg4 and Be6 the best way to go about this. If not why not and what could he have done better?
Oh I think I get the idea now. You must have made a typo above. In your question (together with the board), you asked this questions:

If Bg5 was bad what should black have played and why?
What should white do now?

It is that mention of the Be3 and Bg5 that was puzzling me. Now I understand you meant Bg4 and Be6.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
02 Nov 06
1 edit

Oh I think I get the idea now. You must have made a typo above. In your question (together with the board), you asked this questions:

If Bg5 was bad what should black ...[text shortened]... is that mention of the Be3 and Bg5 that was puzzling me. Now I understand you meant Bg4 and Be6.
Yes, careless typo! So what do you think. Don't look how the game is progressing before thinking.

c

Moves
02 Nov 06

Yes, careless typo! So what do you think. Don't look how the game is progressing before thinking.
Well, looking at the position as shown, as black I would worry about my king being in the line of fire of white's rook. And white's knight also has a check. So I wouldn't have made that Bg4 move to start with.

But after the Bg4 move has been made, it seems to me both of black's bishops are 'hanging'. For example if the black bishop remains on g4, white can Ng5+ followed with Qxg4. The second possibility if the bishop remains on g4, even Qc4+ first because if black then plays Be6, then Ng5+.

Now that the bishop has retreated to Be6, white has Ng5+, with a possible Nxe6, and only then followed with Qc4+, Kd6. Is that what you are looking for?

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
02 Nov 06
1 edit

Another key position in Game 2660753

I have just played 13. d4. There are some threats here. What does black need to be careful about and how should he proceed.

c

Moves
02 Nov 06
1 edit

Another key position in Game 2660753

I have just played 13. d4. There are some threats here. What does black need to be careful about and how should he proceed.

[fen]r2q3r/ppp3pp/2nk1n2/2b1p3/2QPP3/8/PPP3PP/RNB2R1K[/fen]
Wow, what a mess for black. That d-pawn must be taken care of one way or another. Otherwise, it can either dxc5 or dxe5 forking the king and knight. The question I think is how to take that d pawn. 2 possibilities. One is with the bishop, the other is with the knight. Both seem to be liable to Rd1 and then c3. But I don't think that should be too worrisome. I would take with the knight.

I might as well give the reason...

my knight might be able to Nxe4 next. Or might even be able to harrass the white's queen with the b5 move next.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
02 Nov 06
1 edit

Wow, what a mess for black. That d-pawn must be taken care of one way or another. Otherwise, it can either dxc5 or dxe5 forking the king and knight. The question I think is how to take that d pawn. 2 possibilities. One is with the bishop, the other is with the knight. Both seem to be liable to Rd1 and then c3. But I don't think that should be too worrisome. ...[text shortened]... e able to Nxe4 next. Or might even be able to harrass the white's queen with the b5 move next.
Is there any need to worry about the fact that the king is also in front of the queen so a check with a rook could win the queen.

Is black in a mess. Surely not! he is material up. I sacrificed unsoundly. Where did he go wrong and what improvements can you suggest on his past play?