01 Mar '10 02:02
    I've always enjoyed a good walk in fresh air.Very healthy 🙂

The classic: Short-Timman,Tilburg 1991

The amateurs: Van Houten-De Haan,Damwoude 2005

2. Joined
    04 Jun '09
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 02:24
    to the first game: WTF HE CAN DO THAT?!?!
    to the second game: that was cool, you should dig up the famous king march Kasparov had. I believe it was against Kramnik, but I'm not positively sure about that.
  3. Joined
    10 Oct '09
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 02:55
    Originally posted by Big Orange Country
    to the first game: WTF HE CAN DO THAT?!?!
    to the second game: that was cool, you should dig up the famous king march Kasparov had. I believe it was against Kramnik, but I'm not positively sure about that.
    I'm not familiar with and cannot find a game where Kasparov marches his king up the board.
    I found this,but it's Kramnik's king taking a stroll outside

Good one though,I hadn't seen it before
  4. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 03:24
    The game by short was awesome. Just get him in a bind then march the king up to h6!!
  5. Joined
    04 Jun '09
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 03:33
    Originally posted by Ajuin
    I'm not familiar with and cannot find a game where Kasparov marches his king up the board.
    I found this,but it's Kramnik's king taking a stroll outside

[pgn][Event "Moscow (Russia)"] [Site "Moscow (Russia)"] [Date "1994.??.??"] [EventDate "?"] [Round "2"] [Result "1-0"] [White "Vladimir Kramnik"] [Black "Garry Kasparov"] [ECO "E93"] [WhiteElo "?"] [BlackEl ...[text shortened]... .Kb7 Rh7+ 41.d7 1-0[/pgn]

Good one though,I hadn't seen it before
    thanks for looking for it...
    it was a game in a huge book of history's greatest games my parents gave me one christmas.
    excellent game (the book was co-written by 2 GMs and one IM. they take turns annotating the various games, and at the back of the book, they have all chosen the one game that they think was the best. I'm pretty sure one of the GMs chose the game I'm talking about.)
    i know Kasparov was the one doing the marching, I think the other player was Kramnik, but i could be mistaken.
  6. Joined
    30 Jun '08
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 04:24
    I ran across this one a little while back and thought it was unique. Not only do you
    not see Capablanca play the sicilian very often but in this game, with no pieces
    developed, he marches his king out.

7. Joined
    04 Jun '09
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 05:071 edit
    Originally posted by KneeCaps
    I ran across this one a little while back and thought it was unique. Not only do you
    not see Capablanca play the sicilian very often but in this game, with no pieces
    developed, he marches his king out.

[pgn][Event "4, Budapest"]
    [Site "4, Budapest"]
    [Date "1928.??.??"]
    [EventDate "?"]
    [Round "?"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [White "Lajos Merenyi"]
    [Black " c5 f3+ 35. Kf1 e3 36. Re1 bxc5
    37. Rxe3 Kxe3 38. bxa5 c4 0-1

[/pgn]
    i know they're grandmasters, so there must be something i'm missing.
    does anyone mind explaining 22. fxe3 instead of Rxe3?
  8. Joined
    06 Oct '02
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 13:54
    Wouldn't Rxe3 hang the a pawn?
  9. Boston, MA
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 17:23
    thanks for looking for it...
    it was a game in a huge book of history's greatest games my parents gave me one christmas.
    excellent game (the book was co-written by 2 GMs and one IM. they take turns annotating the various games, and at the back of the book, they have all chosen the one game that they think was the best. I'm pretty sure one of the ...[text shortened]... as the one doing the marching, I think the other player was Kramnik, but i could be mistaken.
    I have the same book

It's Kasparov-Topalov, Wijk aan Zee, 1999

10. Joined
    04 Jun '09
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 18:381 edit
    Originally posted by Kaaosaste
    I have the same book

It's Kasparov-Topalov, Wijk aan Zee, 1999

[pgn][Event "Hoogovens A Tournament"]
    [Site "Wijk aan Zee NED"]
    [Date "1999.??.??"]
    [EventDate "?"]
    [Round "04"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [White "Garry Kasparov"]
    [Black "Veselin Topalov"]
    [ECO "B06"]
    [WhiteElo "2812"]
    [BlackElo "2700"]
    [PlyCount "87"]

1. e4 d6 2. d4 Nf6 3. Nc3 g6 4. ...[text shortened]... h8
    Rd3 40. Qa8 c3 41. Qa4+ Ke1 42. f4 f5 43. Kc1 Rd2 44. Qa7 1-0[/pgn]
    that's the one!
    thanks for the post.
    Edit: This is definitally the game I was thinking of. however I was mistaken in that it does not keep with the thread (in which the marching king is victorious). Nonetheless, easily the greatest king hunt of all time. Multiple brilliancies by Kasparov in this one, and noone can say that Topalov played poorly, it's just that there's a reason Gary is the greatest attacker of all time. Purely brilliant. I have read that afer the initial rook sac on d4, even now most of the strongest chess englines in the world rate the position as winning for black, when in fact it is not! this is the prime candidate/example for where ingenuity is lost in machines. For excellent analysis of the game, get the book myself and Kaaosaste have (I think it's something like the Mammoth Book of the Greatest Chess Games, or something like that. I'm in the dorm, and the book is back at my house, so I am not entirely sure).
  11. Joined
    04 Jun '09
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 18:55
    Originally posted by mcreynolds
    Wouldn't Rxe3 hang the a pawn?
    it would be hanging the a-pawn, if the a-pawn were under attack.
  12. Boston, MA
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 19:07
    that's the one!
    thanks for the post.
    Edit: This is definitally the game I was thinking of. however I was mistaken in that it does not keep with the thread (in which the marching king is victorious). Nonetheless, easily the greatest king hunt of all time. Multiple brilliancies by Kasparov in this one, and noone can say that Topalov played poorl ...[text shortened]... g like that. I'm in the dorm, and the book is back at my house, so I am not entirely sure).
    I agree, it's a great book, with some great games. It starts out back around 1850 and you can really see how the game has progressed since then.

http://www.amazon.com/Mammoth-Worlds-Greatest-Chess-Games/dp/B001EEH8RE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267470305&sr=8-4
  13. Joined
    06 Oct '02
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 19:32
    it would be hanging the a-pawn, if the a-pawn were under attack.
    Black would still play 22...Nc5 as he did in the game, white would still have to save his d6 knight and black plays 23... Nxa4
  14. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 19:59
    Great Minds Think Alike 🙂

Nice Game ...

Thread 100650
  15. e4
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 22:03
    One these was played last weekend between a couple fo untitled players.

A great game. I was sweating in case someone else posted it.

http://www.chessedinburgh.co.uk/chandlerarticle.php?ChandID=396

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree