1. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    19 Oct '08 08:57
    Originally posted by Maxwell Smart
    I don't take any issue with you or anyone else saying someone is rude. I don't have any patience for rude behavior either, even though I'm sure others probably think I'm a jerk on rare occasions. My question was directed at the specific issue of him being called a racist. That is something different altogether.
    I would agree that "racist" would be too harsh designation even for him - "xenophobe" and "chauvinist" suits him much more.
  2. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    19 Oct '08 08:59
    Originally posted by Ice Cold
    I have always found Ty to be a courteous and gentlemanly player. It was always a pleasure to play him. Maybe you pissed him off? 😕
    Being "pissed off" is not excuse for unsportsmanlike behavior.
  3. Under Cover
    Moves
    19 Oct '08 09:00
    Originally posted by Korch
    Being "pissed off" is not excuse for unsportsmanlike behavior.
    Agreed.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Oct '08 09:013 edits
    So then you can be accused of racism due to your poor logic in that post? How exactly does that make sense?
    you don't have to insist on taking things literally all the time. you should know better. Trex has obviously made very offensive and prejudiced comments about non-english speaking cultures, accusing them with, or suggesting the idea that these cultures have a greater tendency to cheat, not only in RHP, but in general.

he also has stated his pride for being a "pure english" (I'm not positive on the exact words, but it was to this effect).

to be racists, you don't have to suggest that the white (or English) race is better and all black (or non-english) people should be killed. It's much wider than that, and is much more closely linked to nationalism and that's precisely why it's very dangerous. I of course know that being a stupid a%^hole is theoretically not *exactly* equal to being a racist. I'm not a stupid person just looking for opportunities to make easy attacks on people. so yes, my accusation can be verified.
  5. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    19 Oct '08 09:01
    That's precisely why it does matter. If that thread was the basis for accusing him of being a racist, then the accusation is unbased and slanderous. Calling him a racist simply because he is rude is wrong. You can't publicly say someone is a drug dealer just because you catch them shoplifting, the two are unrelated.
    This very thread has nothing to do with Mr T's racism, my friend. But in my opinion the fact that Mr T is a racist, is correct. His quotes that prove my opinion are deleted by the mods of this site because of this reason;
  6. Under Cover
    Moves
    19 Oct '08 09:10
    Originally posted by black beetle
    ...the essential issue about racism is the concept of the discrimination between "Us" and "Them"...
    No, the essential issue of racism is discrimination based on race. There are many forms of discrimination, and not all of them are bad. Racism is an example of discrimination that most reasonable people would agree is completely bad.

If you need an example of discrimination that is generally acceptable, most people would agree that they don't want to be stuck in an elevator with someone who smells badly. That would be odor discrimination. That person could be many other things, including mentally ill, homeless, etc. However, those things are not the reason that I would personally exercise a bit of discrimination. I wouldn't loan my car to someone who I know has a history of stealing cars. Call me crazy, but that's discrimination I can live with. We all make judgements about other people, and in fact we should. It is a basic survival instinct and defense mechanism. But those judgements should generally be based on behaviors, not immutable physical attributes. To suggest that all such judgements are the same is naive and illogical.
  7. Under Cover
    Moves
    19 Oct '08 09:13
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    you don't have to insist on taking things literally all the time. you should know better. Trex has obviously made very offensive and prejudiced comments about non-english speaking cultures, accusing them with, or suggesting the idea that these cultures have a greater tendency to cheat, not only in RHP, but in general.

he also has stated his pride for be ...[text shortened]... rtunities to make easy attacks on people. so yes, my accusation can be verified.
    Unfortunately, words mean things. To call him a racist is simply wrong, based on what I have seen. Others may have seen soemthing that I missed, and I am open to accepting that fact. But based on the conversations above, I would tend to agree with Korch that xenophobe or nationalist would be better terms to use in this instance. There is simply no correlation to primary language and race.
  8. Under Cover
    Moves
    19 Oct '08 09:181 edit
    This very thread has nothing to do with Mr T's racism, my friend. But in my opinion the fact that Mr T is a racist, is correct. His quotes that prove my opinion are deleted by the mods of this site because of this reason;
    The point of the thread hasn't been lost on me, believe me on that. Unfortunately, someone introduced racism into the discussion, and I objected to that specific issue. If you or others say that TChex posted something that was racist, I would say that the mods were right to delete it. I would also say that a public forum ban for some period of time should have come with it. Unfortunately, I feel as though I have completely hijacked this thread with this side topic, and that was not my intent. I am comfortable that I have made my case against the use of the term racist, and would rather move on. Of course, if anyone would like to split hairs further, we can.

EDIT-Upon consideration, I think a good portion of this thread should be deleted in order to preserve the intent of the original post. That would include probably all of my posts, to be fair.
  9. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    19 Oct '08 09:28
    No, the essential issue of racism is discrimination based on race. There are many forms of discrimination, and not all of them are bad. Racism is an example of discrimination that most reasonable people would agree is completely bad.

If you need an example of discrimination that is generally acceptable, most people would agree ...[text shortened]... physical attributes. To suggest that all such judgements are the same is naive and illogical.
    The esential issue of racism is also the Discrimination Based on Ethnotic Differences, as the sociologist Anthony Giddens has very well pointed while reffering to the ethotic differencies issue in UK.

And Mr T was discriminative; I understand your point though.
  10. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    19 Oct '08 10:36

If you need an example of discrimination that is generally acceptable, most people would agree ...[text shortened]... physical attributes. To suggest that all such judgements are the same is naive and illogical.
    And what kind of example is this of yours? It is obvious that I am talking about the Discrimination that arises when "I" consider that "Our race" is superior than "Their race".
    Anyway, I expressed my opinion and I 'm done with this matter.-
  11. Under Cover
    Moves
    19 Oct '08 10:46
    And what kind of example is this of yours? It is obvious that I am talking about the Discrimination that arises when "I" consider that "Our race" is superior than "Their race".
    Anyway, I expressed my opinion and I 'm done with this matter.-
    You understood my post earlier, but you don't now? I'm a little unclear on that. I never said that discrimination based on race isn't racism, in fact I said that is exactly what racism is. I did however say that making a generality based on native language is definitely not racism. It is discrimination, no doubt, but not racism. Saying that discrimination based on native language is racism is comparing apples to oranges, they aren't the same. You know this. I also said that you and others may have seen some evidence of racism that I didn't see, and I am open to that possibility. However, citing some language based discrimination as a basis for labeling someone a racist isn't right.
  12. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    19 Oct '08 13:18
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I'm with the majority here. Too many draw offers are unnecessary and unsportmanlike
  13. e4
    Moves
    19 Oct '08 13:552 edits
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    It is very unsportsmanlike behavior.

A draw offer (a single draw offer) can be used as a tactic to put the onus
    on the player refusing the draw to prove there is something
    worth playing on for.

Consistant draw offering is designed to annoy and put your opponent off.
    Make complaint to MODS who should warn him - one more violation
    and he will default the game.
  14. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    19 Oct '08 14:021 edit
    I am entitled to make a draw offer whenever I like, this is like those people who complain about an opponent always moving at the very end of a time control and dragging the game out for months longer, or people going on vacation - that is the sort of thing that lots of people are annoyed about but it is all a part of the game and no rule on the site says otherwise (unless you try and twist current rulings to suit your needs)

When the game IS a draw, I will have had the last laugh here.
  15. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    19 Oct '08 15:281 edit
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    I am entitled to make a draw offer whenever I like, this is like those people who complain about an opponent always moving at the very end of a time control and dragging the game out for months longer, or people going on vacation - that is the sort of thing that lots of people are annoyed about but it is all a part of the game and no rule on the si ...[text shortened]... rulings to suit your needs)

When the game IS a draw, I will have had the last laugh here.
    gt
    The question is not - is it allowed or not. The question is about sportsmanship.

And if you would act like that in OTB tournament you could lose by forfeit.

Btw. probably it`s for site ideas, but I would suggest for site owners to restrict possibility of repeating draw offers (until opponent did not offer draw) - if opponent will change his mind, he can offer draw himself later

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree