Unsportsmanlike behavior

Unsportsmanlike behavior

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
18 Oct 08

FL

Moves
18 Oct 08

The post that was quoted here has been removed
I agree, this is unsportsmanlike behaviour and I'm sure TChex wouldn't do that if it was an OTB game. The unwritten rule is that if someone turns down a draw offer then it is up to him to offer the draw next time.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
18 Oct 08
2 edits

Originally posted by Fat Lady
I agree, this is unsportsmanlike behaviour and I'm sure TChex wouldn't do that if it was an OTB game. The unwritten rule is that if someone turns down a draw offer then it is up to him to offer the draw next time.
If he would do it in OTB game then arbiter could warn him and next time (if he would ignore warning) make him lose by forfeit.

Erro Ergo Sum

In the Green Room

Moves
18 Oct 08

Originally posted by Korch
If he would do it in OTB game then arbiter could warn him and next time (if he would ignore warning) make him lose by forfeit.
Yes, that's true. Such continuous offering of draws is considered to be annoying the opponent and is against the rules in OTB. I don't think there's much you can do about it here, except add him to your avoid list.

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
18 Oct 08

He already did add me to the avoid list - that was why I started doing it. People need to learn the lesson that freedom of speech exists and that you cannot just block it out without consequence.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
18 Oct 08

Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
He already did add me to the avoid list - that was why I started doing it. People need to learn the lesson that freedom of speech exists and that you cannot just block it out without consequence.
According to your logic ignoring unpleasant person is violation of freedom of speech and justification of unsportsmanlike behaviorπŸ˜€

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
18 Oct 08

Originally posted by AttilaTheHorn
Yes, that's true. Such continuous offering of draws is considered to be annoying the opponent and is against the rules in OTB. I don't think there's much you can do about it here, except add him to your avoid list.
I`ve done it before because his ignorance is really tiresome - its better to give him a chance to show it in public πŸ˜›

Erro Ergo Sum

In the Green Room

Moves
18 Oct 08

Freedom of speech has limits. For example, here in Canada we have hate laws and you cannot promote hatred of a group of minority races. If you do, you will be charged and people have been convicted. It's like one's freedom to swing his fists in the air ends at my nose. If you continually preach hatred here, you might end up in jail. The law has been challenged based upon freedom of speech, and it has been upheld by the Supreme Court.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
18 Oct 08

I really doubt that 'freedom of speech' could apply to a private in-game message inside a closed community, even in its most ideal form. and even if it did, it wouldn't mean that the other side of the private communication does not have the right to not listen. in addition to that, we've all agreed to TOS which explicitly forbid harassing your opponent.

b

Moves
18 Oct 08

you're pathetic

g

Moves
18 Oct 08

Originally posted by Korch
I complained in here before that the over the board rules should be enforced in correspondence chess to stop player abuse. I do not remember what was said if anything was said. Such rules would end games with abusive players. I found out why the rules regulate the player more then the game when I started playing games online. I also discovered that no rules to control the player's behavior led to all kinds of abuse. Good luck with your complaint. It should get you about as far as it did for me.

F

Moves
18 Oct 08

The post that was quoted here has been removed
I would ignore the draw attempt. I would just continue to play.

s

Moves
18 Oct 08

πŸ™„ πŸ™„ πŸ™„

ignoring someone violates the freedom of speech?

Come on. You're not that stupid. You're just being an annoying prick.

HoH
Thug

Playing with matches

Moves
18 Oct 08

You don't have freedom of speech on this site. Even if you did, it should not be used to infringe upon the rights and freedoms of others right?

d

Moves
18 Oct 08

Someone mentioned an unwritten rule about offering a draw, then leaving it to the opponent next time.

I wouldn't say this is always the case.
I was playing a game once where I could see we weren't going to make any headway, so offered a draw, and it was declined. About 10 moves later we were basically in the same position, so I said "Are you sure you don't want a draw?" and it was declined again. After this, I just waited and eventually claimed on 50 move rule.

I would say this was acceptable.

There are also probably situations in which 3 offers would be acceptable. Anything more than 3 I would say is invariably stupid though.