1. São Paulo, Brazil
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 04:29
    Originally posted by Wayne1324
    Everybody has their opinions about databases. I prefer to play my own moves. If I lose, I lose. Thats how I will learn.

Maybe once I understand the "why" behind the moves, it may be a different story. Now, alot of database moves make no sense to me.

I guess I am a patzer.
    I agree with you here. At your current level, using databases for opening moves won't help you improve at all.
  2. Joined
    25 Sep '05
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 04:39
    It's tiring how often this subject comes up, and it's usually from a lower rated player that acts like they're doing something noble by not using them.

1) It's allowed, as cmsMaster pointed out.
    2) It does help with your OTB play. It's a good way to explore lines in actual games that you'd otherwise be unable to do OTB.

It's a tool, and you can use it to improve or you can keep making the same mistakes.
  3. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 04:50
    Originally posted by Chesswick
    It's tiring how often this subject comes up, and it's usually from a lower rated player that acts like they're doing something noble by not using them.

1) It's allowed, as cmsMaster pointed out.
    2) It does help with your OTB play. It's a good way to explore lines in actual games that you'd otherwise be unable to do OTB.

It's a tool, and you can use it to improve or you can keep making the same mistakes.
    Thank God...

Thank you, Chesswick, that's what I should have said from the start!
  4. Standard memberbosintang
    perpetualEditMonkey
    Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 04:55
    It's perfectly fine to use databases and books, both ethically and technically (according to the TOS). If you're a top player, they're critical. The lower your rating the less effective they become. At my rating, they give me a *slightly* better edge than if I didn't use them at all, so why do I bother at all? Because they help me learn. What better time is there to learn an opening than when you are playing it in correspondence? Since I started playing correspondence chess my knowledge that could be used in OTB thanks to databases and books -- mostly the latter -- has vastly improved. Of course, it means you must understand the moves rather than just blindly playing them.

By the way, you might want to check out http://www.redhotpawn.com/gamesexplorer if you don't know about it already.
  5. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 05:54
    Originally posted by likeforest
    why bother playing a game if you dont even think about the moves? this makes very little sense to me.
    You make a good point that one should think about his or her moves. However, this is not an argument against databases, at least not against the way strong players use them. I use them in less than half of my games, and I generally work much harder in the games where I use them.

It is fairly easy to knock out the first 5-15 moves (depending on the opening) without a thought. But, to use databases and correspondence chess to find good positions in unfamiliar lines takes a lot of work. That extra time and hard work is a major part of the appeal of RHP, and CC generally.
  6. Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 06:21
    Originally posted by Chesswick

I get your point... I have chessbase 9 and fritz 10. Which is a better database?

If it will help me improve, then I'm all for it.
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 06:21
    I get your point... I have chessbase 9 and fritz 10. Which is a better database?

If it will help me improve, then I'm all for it.
    You have CB9 and you don't use DBs!?

Wow..

CB9 should be much, much better.
  8. Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 06:23
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    You have CB9 and you don't use DBs!?

Wow..

CB9 should be much, much better.
    Thanks for the advice...Improvement is my goal.
  9. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 06:35
    Thanks for the advice...Improvement is my goal.
    Make sure you know how to use all of the CB options, for example, I know it can give full readout reviews of (any?) opening.
  10. Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 06:44
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Make sure you know how to use all of the CB options, for example, I know it can give full readout reviews of (any?) opening.
    Where can I learn this?
  11. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 06:45
    Where can I learn this?
    😕

IDK, I don't have any CBs versions

Try the chessbase website.
  12. Joined
    03 Jan '07
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 06:51
    RHP's Games Explorer and chessgames.com are the only db's I use on occasion.

At my rating level I usually depend on opening theory for the first few moves, but many times in the past I got opponents who sprang traps on me in the first few moves and I, being an uninformed noob, fell for them.

Thanks to db's I've learned not only how to spot these traps but how get them to backfire on their users 🙂
  13. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 07:26
    Where can I learn this?
    http://www.chessbase.com/support/index.asp
  14. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 07:53
    🙄
  15. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 09:59
    I am on this site for one reason and one reason alone. To improve my opening play. I do that by using books whenever I can. I will shortly be using a database also but I find books better as they tend to explain the ideas behind the opening in a way a database cannot. As time goes by my knowledge improves and I can play ever deeper into an opening without refering to the book thus my knowledge is transferred to OTB play.

This improvement in opening play translates to an improvement of about 100 rating points on my OTB play although I would expect my OTB rating to follow it up 6 months or so down the line.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree