Want learn to win the king and queen vs king an...

Want learn to win the king and queen vs king an...

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
09 May 07

Originally posted by adam warlock
Wow!
I know the ideas for this mate but haven't really tried yet. I better get it going in the meantime.
it's pretty easy once you learn it the first time. there's really only three tricky moves you probably can't figure out if you haven't seen them before. but after you know them, you can blitz the last 15 moves in seconds. there's not really that many moves left for the defender once you get him against an edge.

FL

Moves
09 May 07

The problem I have is remembering the standard positions. I've "learnt" how to mate with K, B + N several times over the years, but when I try to do it again after six months or so I find I've forgotten the important positions and can't work them out over the board.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
09 May 07

Originally posted by Fat Lady
The problem I have is remembering the standard positions. I've "learnt" how to mate with K, B + N several times over the years, but when I try to do it again after six months or so I find I've forgotten the important positions and can't work them out over the board.
Perhaps the key point to remember (that many people overlook) is you need to mate in the corner that is the same colour as the Bishop.

Many "beginners" try to mate in the wrong corner and of course it will never work.

z

Moves
09 May 07

There are essentially three steps and each is harder than the step before.

1. Push the enemy king to the edge of the board (doesn't matter which edge). This is fairly trivial and can mostly be accomplished with K and B.

2. Push the enemy king to the corner that is not the same color as your bishop, usually this happens naturally in step one.

3. Push the opposing king to the corner which matches the color of your bishop, and mate.

Step one is trivial, and since you have to mate in the corner with the color of your bishop, the opposing king usually helps you on 2 (otherwise you might proceed directly to step 3). Three is the difficult part.

FL

Moves
09 May 07
1 edit

I think step 3 should be split into 2 or 3:

3) Force the king into the corner of the correct colour (i.e. matches your bishop's colour).

4) Trap the king in that corner ( the "cage" ).

5) Checkmate the king.

z

Moves
09 May 07

Originally posted by Fat Lady
I think step 3 should be split into 2 or 3:

3) Force the king into the corner of the correct colour (i.e. matches your bishop's colour).

4) Trap the king in that corner ( the "cage" ).

5) Checkmate the king.
Once you have #3, 4 & 5 are trivial (to me).

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
09 May 07

Originally posted by zebano
There are essentially three steps and each is harder than the step before.

1. Push the enemy king to the edge of the board (doesn't matter which edge). This is fairly trivial and can mostly be accomplished with K and B.

2. Push the enemy king to the corner that is not the same color as your bishop, usually this happens naturally in step one.

3. Push ...[text shortened]... y helps you on 2 (otherwise you might proceed directly to step 3). Three is the difficult part.
step three is the easiest for me, I can blitz that with 100% pattern recognition, no calculation needed. it's the driving the king against the edge that takes most of the time for me, as it's slightly different every time.