1. Pities the fool
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 19:37
    Can anyone show me examples from GM play were a GM donates points in the manner we have seen i.e.

- resigning when ahead
    - resigning when the game is level.
  2. Joined
    27 Apr '07
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 19:43
    Originally posted by kopatov
    Can anyone show me examples from GM play were a GM donates points in the manner we have seen i.e.

- resigning when ahead
    Fischer v. Spassky 1972

http://www.redhotpawn.com/chess/grandmaster-games/viewmastergame.php?pgnid=54795&subject=Bobby_Fischer_vs_Boris_Spassky

Surely there is some sort of story behind this one move resignation.
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 19:556 edits

- resigning when ahead
    Fischer alleged that the Russians did this often, and some of the players at the Curacao Interzonal in 1962 admitted as much, but you are still missing the point.

Offhand, I would suggest looking at Paul Keres' games against Botvinnik in 1948. It makes knowledgeable chess players worldwide sick at some of the external influences that can unfairly impact the result of a game.

Here's a pair of links for you:

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/kb1.pdf

http://www.anusha.com/keres-bo.htm

The change in rating that occurred from the resignation in the game you are concerned about may well have been entirely incidental to the reason for the resignation.

You need to systematically eliminate all the other possible causes before defaulting to the "donating points" theory.

You can't just assume a conclusion unsupported by any facts, and then ask for other examples. If you think there is a particular reason why the resignation took place, the burden is on you to provide the proof. You can't just assert it.

I'm not sure anyone cares enough, but if it is important to you, good luck in your search for the truth.
  4. Pities the fool
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 19:57
    Some people have switched off their brains so one again :-

- resigning when ahead
  5. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 20:11

[b]Can anyone show me examples from GM play were a GM donates points in the manner we have seen
    i.e.

- resigning when ahead
    - resigning when the game is level.[/b]
    Some people lack a switch altogether. 😞
  6. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 20:18

[b]Can anyone show me examples from GM play were a GM donates points in the manner we have seen
    i.e.

- resigning when ahead
    - resigning when the game is level.[/b]
    There are thirty odd examples on TIm Krabbe's pages of players resigning when in winning positions of which probably the most famous is Von Popiel - Marco 1902.

He doesn't mention Short v. Arakhamia Grant (mobile phone game) which looks much the same as the game under discussion until you know the reason

http://timkr.home.xs4all.nl/chess2/resigntxt.htm
  7. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 20:19
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Some people lack a switch altogether. 😞
    Now that's funny- a "thumbs up" doesn't do it justice!
  8. e4
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 20:26
    "Can anyone show me examples from GM play were a
    GM donates points in the manner we have seen."

Darga vs Lengyel, Holland 1964

Black has just played 41...R6e2+ and White resigned. 0-1

Yes 42. Rxe2 wins for White.

Happy now.

On the first page of this thread one lad said:

"I guess the resignation has nothing to do with the position."

and Nimzo answered "Correct."

So you are not looking for matching examples in OTB play
    where the position does matter.

Now put your keyboard down, have a cup of tea and think about it.
  9. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 20:27
    Originally posted by Ragwort
    There are thirty odd examples on TIm Krabbe's pages of players resigning when in winning positions of which probably the most famous is Von Popiel - Marco 1902.

He doesn't mention Short v. Arakhamia Grant (mobile phone game) which looks much the same as the game under discussion until you know the reason

http://timkr.home.xs4all.nl/chess2/resigntxt.htm
    The Nigel Short example is a new one for me- I did not know that a GM had lost a game like that under those circumstances. On the spot, though!

I suppose Informant or Chessbase will have to come up with a new symbol to annotate the reason for the result, as otherwise it leaves a bewildering database entry.
  10. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 20:42
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    The Nigel Short example is a new one for me- I did not know that a GM had lost a game like that under those circumstances. On the spot, though!

I suppose Informant or Chessbase will have to come up with a new symbol to annotate the reason for the result, as otherwise it leaves a bewildering database entry.
    Liverpool 2008 - atticus2 may even have been there. . .
  11. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    15 Aug '11 05:33
    Originally posted by Ragwort
    Liverpool 2008 - atticus2 may even have been there. . .
    Not just atticus2, two other RHPers played in that one.
  12. Pities the fool
    Moves
    15 Aug '11 17:42
    A better way of donating rating points Thread 141288 instead of pretending to play. That way it will not look as if you were trying to play a game of chest.
  13. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    15 Aug '11 19:57
    A better way of donating rating points Thread 141288 instead of pretending to play. That way it will not look as if you were trying to play a game of chest.
    GP, it is apparently going to take something stronger than tea. He still has the "donating points" blinders on, and the needle shows no signs of skipping to the next track.
  14. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    15 Aug '11 20:32
    Did you complain when your opponents donated rating points to you by timeout or where you happy enough to steal the ratings points?

Things happen in real life to make people stop playing.

It could be anything from a simple dose of diahorrea, you getting upset with the opponent because they wouldn't move quick enough to death by gimp mask and yes, it has happened before
    http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/11211-death-by-gimp-mask

There is no point trying to analyse why it happens, it just does.
  15. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    16 Aug '11 12:11
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Looks drawish to me, but then I'm a moron. 😞
    True. It is opposite color bishops that may lead to a tedious draw that maybe he wanted to avoid.

Nimzo resigned against me one time unexpectedly (on move 31 in the game below), and we were even in material but maybe I had the advantage. Maybe not. But I was surprised. And relieved, as I felt like I was playing out on a limb during the game. I followed a game (between two 2500 players, 365chess link below) in a games database the first 21 moves, and then Nimzo deviated.

In the last few moves of our game I spent hours, including 1-2 hours on my last move before he resigned. (He also resigned a couple of other games in our tournament bracket).

There is really nothing wrong with strategic resignations. In contrast, what I don't like is playing a player with an extremely artificially low rating making a comeback after mass resignations or mass timeouts. I don't think Nimzo fits that scenario. Even so, mass resignations is not against the RHP rules.

Game 8040693
    http://www.365chess.com/view_game.php?g=3584415

He beat me in the other game we played.
    Game 8040690

I like Nimzo. I like his posts in the forum. He seems like a nice guy, and knowledgable.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree