1. Santa Clara, CA
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 01:22
    so i'm wondering when to start playing rated. so far i've accidentally played 3 rated game (weren't started by me is why). but i'm worried about moving out of provisional status because i don't want to tarnish my rating making stupid mistakes and be written off as an easy win by whomever i encounter. so how do you know when to start?
  2. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 01:24
    Originally posted by slickhare
    so i'm wondering when to start playing rated. so far i've accidentally played 3 rated game (weren't started by me is why). but i'm worried about moving out of provisional status because i don't want to tarnish my rating making stupid mistakes and be written off as an easy win by whomever i encounter. so how do you know when to start?
    Now. If your rating is low it's because you are an easy win - just play rated, there's no point to unrated games if they aren't for opening practice or the like.
  3. USA
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 01:31
    First of all, if an opponent challenges you, you can simply click the "garbage can" symbol next to it and the game is deleted... no problem

Second, it really doesn't make a difference when you start. If you are 1200 strength now, you may be written off as easy by some players. If you improve before starting and start off at 1400 lets say, you will still be written off as easy. Unless you are very good (2200+ rating) there will almost always be written off as easy by someone. Also, in my experience , i have observed that even though I am among the weakest players on RHP (1200 rating), other, stronger players do not treat me with contempt as you seem to imply when you are "written off as a weak player"

Third, what's the point of being on RHP if you don't play?

Fourth, you say you will mess up your rating by making silly mistakes. You don't mess up your rating by making silly mistakes because that is part of your rating. Your rating takes into account everything, silly mistakes and all. Being a low rated player like me means you'll make silly mistakes often, but you shouldn't be scared that it will lower your rating. By not playing games in the fear of lowering your rating, you are only hurting yourself by not enjoying a chess game. You may also be deluding yourself into thinking "I'm really a 1600 I just make silly mistakes." Part of being low rated is making silly mistakes!

Take my advice and play games. I started as soon as I joined RHP, and I knew that I would make many, many silly mistakes but its all part of my rating.
  4. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 01:411 edit
    Play all rated games. Why bother with unrated?

Unrated = you don't care = you play badly = bad habits = you opponent plays badly also. Neither of you learn to play better.
  5. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 01:44
    stop caring about your rating so much
  6. Donationbriancron
    nunquam perdo
    Washington, DC
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 03:281 edit
    I agree

You cannot cash in the rating anywhere. Every game is just practice for the next time. Unless you die first and hopefully you won your last game otherwise the whole exercise was pointless... but Im off topic now...

Dive in and play. I joined this site in 2002 and I had a really good streak going. Then I went idle and timed out a bunch of games and my rating was scuttled. so what... Im back and on the rise again.

I've seen a lot of people's rating history and they all have peaks and valleys.

As far as people writing you off for having a low rating. Let them! Once you give them a solid pawn enema they will write you back on real quick.

I care about ratings as much as you do, but there is no reward without risk
  7. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 03:45
    Good play gives you a good rating. A high rating doesn't make you a better player.
    Play your natural game and your rating will be what it will be.
  8. Joined
    08 Aug '06
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 04:12
    I agree with Alexstclaire....Dont be too concerned with your rating.
    It will only distaract you. Before you know it you will be so carefully picking your fights that you will learn nothing from them. There is no shame in losing to a better player. If you lose a game to someone, go back and review the game. Ask your self where did I lose this game at. Your rating will go up if you do this consistantly.
    EGO is a part of chess, but it can also hinder you when it becomes too important. Try not to worry about the rating and play RATED games as much as you can...then review them.
  9. over there
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 11:08
    Play rated. That way you'll have an easy way of measuring your performance.
  10. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 14:20
    Wait for the whistle indicating that you should play a rated game. Did you hear one telling you to wake up this morning?
  11. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 14:262 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. U.S.A.
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 14:57
    Is our reason for playing chess for fun and making friends or just to impress a bunch of goof balls who judge you based on your rating?
    ANyone who'd look down on you because of your rating isn't worth your time anyways.

I haven't forgotten how bad i was, my first time. And probably never will. But i improved after not very long; It takes time, just be patient with yourself and keep on practicing.

Good luck and don't worry about the idiots who might judge you.
  13. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 16:36
    Even Fischer and Kasparov played blunders. I doubt you will become so that you never blunder. Play a rated game any time you are not wanting a casual game.
  14. Santa Clara, CA
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 04:00
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    I propose a 'stupid waste of time' thread in the chess forum where all silly questions could be moved to by a moderater, instead of having loads of pointless threads cluttering up the place which moves useful threads off the first page.
    for being "pointless" this thread sure did get a lot of replies... i'm sure we can trust the moderating team to lock/move/delete threads that do not merit attention. if this is a "stupid waste of time", then why did anyone bother to answer my question?
  15. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 04:04
    start playing rated...when you first joined....😕

worried about having a stupid looking rating? Well p1200 already is one so what's there to lose?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree