1. Joined
    25 Oct '08
    Moves
    23 Mar '11 05:44
    My son is 1.5 years old now. I have started to sit with him with a chessboard and pieces. When do you think a child can start learning? Have any one of you taught a young child? Any tips?
  2. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Mar '11 06:10
    Any time after birth is way, way too late. :p

On a more serious note, I sat down one with my (then) three-year old cousin, and she was able to grasp the very basic aspects of the game. I think she was old enough to start learning then.
  3. Joined
    25 Oct '08
    Moves
    23 Mar '11 06:25
    Originally posted by amolv06
    Any time after birth is way, way too late. :p

On a more serious note, I sat down one with my (then) three-year old cousin, and she was able to grasp the very basic aspects of the game. I think she was old enough to start learning then.
    Rite now, I am just teaching name of pieces. At this age, child likes to speak as many new words as they can. Yeh, 3 years seems to rite age. I will try with some kids around in the neighborhood 🙂
  4. Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    23 Mar '11 07:49
    My little boy is 4. He knows how to set up the board and (mostly) how the pieces move, but a full game is too much for him. I'm experimenting with some mini-games, such as giving him 3 pawns against my lone king, and asking him to win from there. I'm not sure if that is the correct thing to do, but it seems an easier concept for him to grasp than a full game.
  5. Standard membertheonecolin
    Theonecolin
    London
    Moves
    23 Mar '11 07:55
    Originally posted by aquatabby
    My little boy is 4. He knows how to set up the board and (mostly) how the pieces move, but a full game is too much for him. I'm experimenting with some mini-games, such as giving him 3 pawns against my lone king, and asking him to win from there. I'm not sure if that is the correct thing to do, but it seems an easier concept for him to grasp than a full game.
    I am teaching my son ( 5 ) and daughter ( 4 ) , both can set the board up and have a basic idea of the moves each piece can make , i have also bought them the Wii Chess as this has a basic option that as you highlight a piece it shows all the legal moves this piece is able to make . They seem to get this and i think it helps their understanding - and they enjoy it !
  6. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    23 Mar '11 08:37
    yay for new chess players!! <crosses fingers>
  7. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    23 Mar '11 09:30
    You gotta start reciting game scores of world championship games while he's still in the belly. If you failed that step, I'd say 5-6 years old.
  8. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    23 Mar '11 10:47
    You can start kids off quite early, provided you limit the exercise to setting up the board, messing with the different pieces. Maybe by age 5 or so, play a game of Q v. pawns.

The point is this. Children simply cannot learn faster than their brain develops. That involves conceptual development. So for example, you can train a child to say "2 + 2 = 4". But until they have developed an understanding of "two-ness", the exercise is meaningless for them. Same in chess. The concept of "capture" takes time to develop; the concept of "checkmate" even longer. These things cannot be learned until the child is ready. Many parents foolishly believe that evidence of performance is evidence of development. It often isn't, merely evidence of rote learning.

When can a child begin to understand chess as we know it? In truth, not any earlier than age 7. If a child never saw a chess set until then, but took to the game thereafter, they'd be just fine.
  9. e4
    Moves
    23 Mar '11 11:23
    This website:

http://www.chesskids.com/newcourse/index.htm

Is really very good not only for kids but for adults.
    Do the tests on the left hand side.

I'm going to do a blog about it.

You know how I feel about 'net chess' for learning
    but I really do see the benefits of this site.
  10. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    23 Mar '11 12:38
    A common game to teach a kid is "pawn wars" just a board with all the pawns on each side, first one to get a pawn to the 8th rank wins.

gradually you can add kings, a knight whatever.
  11. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    23 Mar '11 12:41
    Originally posted by vishyanand
    My son is 1.5 years old now. I have started to sit with him with a chessboard and pieces. When do you think a child can start learning? Have any one of you taught a young child? Any tips?
    I have been teaching chess to kids for over 30 years and the important thing to remember is very young children think in concrete terms (what can be seen now, the here and now) and each child develops their abstract thinking (plans, cause and effect) at different times and at different rates. Very young children, your childs' age and up to 4 or so can be exposed to chess by making it fun.
    Don't be overly concerned with moving pieces correctly. Keeping it fun and interesting. Kids love "jumping horses".
    At kindergarten age I use a story to help them remember how to set up the pieces.
    P.M. me if you want the story.
  12. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    23 Mar '11 12:45
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    A common game to teach a kid is "pawn wars" just a board with all the pawns on each side, first one to get a pawn to the 8th rank wins.

Exactly! I have been using that for years and it works.
    The concept of checkmate can be boring to kids.
  13. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    23 Mar '11 15:16
    Personally I think the child is the one who is best qualified to decide when they want to start learning chess.

Even Lazlo Polgar waited until Susan showed interest in a chessboard they had at the home before he began teaching her.

/Oddly enough, the Polgars said that Judit was the "slow learner" in the family when it came to chess.
  14. Joined
    25 Oct '08
    Moves
    23 Mar '11 16:23
    Originally posted by nimzo5

Yes, I have used "pawn wars", but with 9+ years old.
  15. Joined
    25 Oct '08
    Moves
    23 Mar '11 16:25
    Originally posted by Thabtos
    Personally I think the child is the one who is best qualified to decide when they want to start learning chess.

Even Lazlo Polgar waited until Susan showed interest in a chessboard they had at the home before he began teaching her.

/Oddly enough, the Polgars said that Judit was the "slow learner" in the family when it came to chess.
    Well, my son is fascinated with chess since he saw the chessboard. And, whenever he sees me sitting on computer with a chessboard on screen, he shouts "chess". I don't know if he will be interested in chess. But, for now I want to keep it fun for him. So, whenever I give him the physical board, I try to play with pieces with him, and try to persuade him not to throw the pieces 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree